Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #307
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
How would hardwiring around the sensor solve the problem?

Maybe I'm not understanding your idea properly.

It seems to me that if you were to do that, you'd still be driving a car without a functioning speed sensor that no longer has ABS. You might as well just pull the fuse and not cut any wires. I'd hate to have to explain to my insurance company that I got in an accident because I cut a bunch of wires off my brakes.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #308
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
speed sensor -> connector -> wires

proposed solution:

speed sensor -> wires

Since the issue is corrosion in the connector, the idea put forth by yaris2010RS is to directly bypass the connector and hard wire direct to the sensor.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #309
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Riiiiight. Sorry, it's been a long day. My bad.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #310
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
i'm writing a letter to the wheels section of the toronto star regarding this, perhaps if more of us did that we would get some attention and therefore action from toyota canada.

here's the email for the editorial staff of the wheels section if anyone else feels so inclined:
wheels@thestar.ca
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #311
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
after a couple of calls to the service manager of my dealership and toyota canada, they ended up covering 80% of the price to replace the faulty sensor and wiring harness on my yaris,
so it cost $75 plus the initial $50 diagnostic (this is for the one side only).

while i was happy that it did not cost $416 like i was quoted i'm still not entirely satisfied as i think this is a defective part.
i think there's a good chance the other side will eventually go as well so i'm wondering if they will hand me the same token for that one?
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #312
N9QGS

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to N9QGS Send a message via Yahoo to N9QGS
I went to my tire place, they checked all connections; they saw nothing worth alarming, and it only came on one more time after this and now the weather is warmer, it has not returned. I do expect to see it next winter, and I will get it taken care of at that time.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #313
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderboy3997 View Post
So I have read the entire YarisWorld Forum concerning ABS failure..Does anyone have a copy of TSB-0120-08 for the ABS issue? I have an 08 Sedan S with 69k..Driving along and the ABS and brake Light both come on..begins to rain and suddenly they both go off..on and off, depending on weather for a week..Finally, both lights stay on and car makes clunking sound when brakes are applied..go to dealership, and am informed it's probably an ABS malfunction..DUH!! Really?? Are you sure it isnt the air conditioning? Or the Muffler?
So I leave the car, and rent a car to drive for the "two, maybe three days to fix it" answer I get from dealership...Three days later, receive a call stating the ABS is not working, and harness and wiring assembly need to be replaced- oh and by the way, the part has to come from Japan and will take 3 weeks- estimated.."We have rental cars here at the dealership" ..Well thanks Biff, I had planned on walking the 20 miles to work in February, average temp 30 degrees; but if you have rental cars... So I rent a car from them. Three weeks later, part arrives and dealership happily calls to inform me the car is "ready to Go!" And all for only $1256.00 american...Parts, labor, and rental car..So Biff mentions that there is a magical 800 number (Toyota Customer Service) that might help me defer some of the cost..Being a christian, I will only say they came short of laughing at me for calling, and actually suggested I return to the dealership, to see if "they" could help.. I did read one post, where they sent a certified letter, but it was Canadian; where they care...Any suggestions as to where to go from here?
Don't know if they have it in the states, but here in Canada, if you go to the dealer for regular maintenance, they have what's called "Good Will Warranty" for out of warranty vehicles. Dealer pays 20%, customer pays 20% and Toyota Canada Pays 60%. But if you've never been back to the dealer for any service, you'll have little to no luck getting it, because they have no reason to help a customer out that's never spent any money at their dealership.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #314
"G"

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
Has this been recalled by toyota yet????????
"G" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #315
"G"

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
Lot's of good info in this thread. My abs/ brake light recently came on so I checked my rear sensors and this is what I found. One pin basically corroded off completely. Their has to be a replacement sensor available with out having to buy a whole new hub. Or an updated part. I think i'm going to try and remove the sensor and see what happens. Are their any updates on whether or not you can buy just the sensor???? From looking at the base, it looks like a twist and pull removal. Similar to a parking light bulb. If the whole hub needs to be replaced then it looks like a bad design on Aisin's part.

Here is a link to Aisin's website >> http://www.aisin.com/product/automot...ake/index.html If you scroll down you will se they are mighty proud of their offerings The speed sensor with integrated hub is the exact toyota model! The bottom speed sensor which they refer to as "stick style" is used on the front of the yaris. I think we should all email aisin and say wtf!

Last edited by "G"; 04-18-2011 at 07:50 PM.
"G" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #316
PrincessKay

Drives: Blueberry
Both of my lights are on as well - somewhat of a comfort to know that I'm not the only one.

I drive an '07 RS HB. I have to go in tomorrow for service so I will talk to them about it then. This really should be a recall...
PrincessKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #317
sternz

Drives: 08 Blazing Blue LB
I'm having the problem as well, it started happening this past winter. I cleaned the rear sensors and applied Dielectric Tune-up Grease and still have the lights on. I really don't want to have to pay anything to have this problem fixed, since it should be recalled. I'm very disappointed Toyota has done nothing for their clients. Worst part is that unless the design for the sensors themselves are not changed, it will just keep us all going back to the shop.

I contacted the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm

I urge those in the US to do the same.

Last edited by sternz; 05-21-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added direct url for vehicle complaint
sternz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #318
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
I've tried almost everything to get Toyota to do SOMETHING about this, but unless I pay them to do the repair they won't budge. Toyota Canada is crap when trying to get anything.

They should have really had a recall for this issue since it's happening to more and more people.

I just leave the lights on the dash on, I don't care any more since they keep coming back on.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #319
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
They turn on and off all the time, specially when wet.

D.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #320
Mikeey01nzl
91octane $2.24nzd / litre

Drives: 05 5d 1.3 CVT
Okay now I'm really confused...

ABS light comes on, I don't own any diag stuff to plug into it so I jumpered 4 & 13. ABS light flashes 4 times then goes out, then flashes 9 times.
None of this even comes close to what is listed above.. does anyone know what it's complaining about?

Last edited by Mikeey01nzl; 05-27-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Mikeey01nzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #321
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeey01nzl View Post
Okay now I'm really confused...

ABS light comes on, I don't own any diag stuff to plug into it so I jumper 4 & 13. ABS light flashes 4 times then goes out, then flashes 9 times.
None of this even comes close to what is listed above.. does anyone know what it's complaining about?
I'm sorry if I'm been naive here, but what does it means to " I jumper 4 & 13"

D.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #322
Mikeey01nzl
91octane $2.24nzd / litre

Drives: 05 5d 1.3 CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
I'm sorry if I'm been naive here, but what does it means to " I jumper 4 & 13"D.
Short the two terminals... read this excellent post by C T Scott for more info
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&postcount=262

So back to my orginal question chaps.... what the heck is 49 or 94 flashes on the ABS light really mean?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #323
Iain
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris
ABS AGAIN

I have two 07 Yaris', a sedan and a HB. The ABS problem, I believe, is due to road salt probably causing corrosion. The dealer will fix, I believe, for about $600 - $1000 by replacing all the wiring (not needed only the rear wheels cause the problem). I found that the front wheels were fine. However on the rear wheels the elctrical connection going into the wheel hub does not have an outer plastic insulation covering (as it does on the front hub) only the individual wires going to the sensor. I sprayed the cables with WD40 and then regular engine oil and filled the little pocket/pit/depression with oil at the hub. After a couple of weeks the ABS came on less frequently. Now after about a month it no longer comes on at all and that has been like that for about 4 months now. Got the idea because the one vehicle I had rust proofed never developed a problem. Hope this helps someone and save a pocket full of cash.
It's heaven, before the ABS light was always on.
Cheers Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #324
salmonz

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
If you're handy and Toyota seems a bit much, you can always order 2 new after market rear ABS sensors for $288 CAD (taxes, brokerage and shipping included) from Rockauto. http://goo.gl/L6z5o
salmonz is offline   Reply With Quote