Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Question for computer geeks, netwrk. admins, or anyone

Let's say that you're running a small business network, and the workstations (PC's) are about 5 years old, and just about to run out of their extended warranty w/ DELL.

Workstations are sluggish but still good, parts have been changed as needed (DELL had a bad batch of motherboard with faulty capacitors, and sure enough, we got them, but DELL has honored the warranty every time and replaced the boards and misc. failed hardware as needed), so right now everything is running and in production.

Current workstations' OS is Win 2000, and they are running non-mainstream software, very specific to the business, without any problem right now. But

1) extended warranty on hardware is running out
2) some of that software is asking for upgrades which exceeds the capacity of the workstations (we can add memory but we can't make the processors faster!)

So we're thinking of replacing the workstations.

We know that the applications we're running will be fine with Windows XP Pro.
We know that some will NOT work with Vista, so Vista Pro is not an option (otherwise it would be an easy decision)
We expect they would work with Windows 7, but haven't tested that yet. In fact, if we go that road, we probably would wait a few months until all the Beta testers out there have returned their verdict

So what would you do:

Option No. 1) purchase XP stations right now but run the risk of going obsolete too soon
Option No. 2) extend warranty again and wait for Windows 7 to come out and be thoroughly tested
Option No. 3) take a chance, save money on extended warranty and wait for Windows 7 (kind of makes me nervous because we don't keep spare workstations)

Thoughts, anyone?

(No, we're not getting Macs! )

Last edited by tomato; 10-14-2009 at 10:59 PM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
tomato
Super Moderator

Maybe I should pose the question a little differently.

What is the most cost-effective upgrade?

(keeping in mind that time spent upgrading and/or fixing computers is also a cost for a business, which is why getting hardware warranties make sense, they come, they see, they fix, at a very small cost per year. )
Old 10-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Get a Mac!

lol jk
I have no idea....

sorry :p
but seriously when does the beta testing for win7 end? and can you wait that long to find out if its going to work out?? If not then you have no option than to switch programs and get upgraded comps OR upgrade your old comps and keep apps......

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
AmyV
she was an American girl

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB, 67 Fairlane 500
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyV
Hey tomato.

I spent several years doing computer repair, upgrades, and networking. Out of the options you laid, I like option 2 or 3 the best. Personally, I would go with 3, but that all depends on how much of a risk-taker you are. Plus, you obviously know the finances and position of the company better than I do.

I would definitely wait til testing is done before going to Windows 7. XP is already almost obsolete. Nothing is getting produced for XP anymore.

So whether or not you extend the warranty, I would wait til 7 comes out and is pretty much debugged before 'upgrading' (hahaha.... but I use the term 'upgrading' here loosely... )

Hope this helps!!!
AmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
tomato
Super Moderator

It sure does, Amy! I'm leaning towards what you just said but still thought I'd pose the question and see what ideas people will throw at me.

Actually, the cost of renewing the warranties (if the manufacturer is still willing) is negligible compared to the cost of downtime for one of these machines for an extended period of time.

I could also get a couple of spare workstations for cheap, image them and keep them around as spare, and forego extended warranties as well.

PS. And by the way, Amy, I see that you're new to the board ... Welcome and enjoy YW
Old 10-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
Get a Mac!

lol jk
I have no idea....

but seriously when does the beta testing for win7 end? and can you wait that long to find out if its going to work out?? If not then you have no option than to switch programs and get upgraded comps OR upgrade your old comps and keep apps......
I hear ya. would it be such a bad thing to bring everything up to date, though?
Old 10-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
If the warranty renewal is really negligable do that if you can, to give you at least 6 months or so for windows 7 to be truly out, then upgrade to that. I agree there is no point in going XP at this point. And be thankful they don't work with the vista nightmare.

Oh, and usually "non mainstream" software, as you put it, is run for decades or so without issues. Upgrades aren't too necessary. My father still runs a few database programs on DOS Machines from the '80's. Now that is old school.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:23 AM   #8
AmyV
she was an American girl

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB, 67 Fairlane 500
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyV
Either option.... warranty is good because it saves space and also can help with file retrieval and whatnot if there is a catastrophic failure. But spares... always nice!!! Pain to store, but can be switched out in a matter of minutes.

As for Macs... I know they are getting more and more compatible as the years go by, but when it comes to software that is more proprietary or isn't a popular home program, compatibility is a risk. I would stick with systems you know.

And thanks for the welcome, tomato!
AmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:57 AM   #9
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyV View Post
Either option.... warranty is good because it saves space and also can help with file retrieval and whatnot if there is a catastrophic failure. But spares... always nice!!! Pain to store, but can be switched out in a matter of minutes.
That'd be a concern for the servers maybe, but there is no critical data on a workstation (not a whole lot anyway) but yeah, space is also an issue. Office space is expensive around here so dedicating a whole area to be used as a boneyard for computer parts, I DNK...

This isn't a Mac-oriented business, so that's why I said no macs. Nothing personal.

This is fantastic! I just knew you guys would come up with great ideas!
Maybe I ought to talkto you all about the servers, too ;0)
Thank you and please keep them coming, this is REALLY, REALLY helpful!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #10
yarisitis

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
Get a Mac!

lol jk
I have no idea....

Beta testing for Windows 7 ended a long time ago. Windows 7 is going to be officially released for retail on October 22nd.

I think Windows 7 has a new compatibility feature called "Windows XP Mode" where it will let you use programs that were meant for XP, for example I'm guessing old programs like the one's on your company's workstations that might have issues running on newer OS's. So I think this would pretty much solve your problem with that.

Would the workstations even meet the minimum requirements for Windows 7 in the first place, they sound pretty old, running Windows 2000 and all?

Don't do option 1.

Why don't you get your company to fund you the money to test out Windows 7 for yourself on one machine. That way you won't have to wait and find out the results on tests that might not even be relevant to what your company does, but instead test it yourself to the specific needs of your company's machines. The cost of one Windows 7 license is worth it.

Or you could just snake around it and take one of the workstations home and download Windows 7 illegally and test it for free.

Also, hook it up with a job when I finish school, tomato, k thx. I'd kill for an IT job in San Francisco.
yarisitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisitis View Post
Beta testing for Windows 7 ended a long time ago. Windows 7 is going to be officially released for retail on October 22nd.

I think Windows 7 has a new compatibility feature called "Windows XP Mode" where it will let you use programs that were meant for XP, for example I'm guessing old programs like the one's on your company's workstations that might have issues running on newer OS's. So I think this would pretty much solve your problem with that.

Would the workstations even meet the minimum requirements for Windows 7 in the first place, they sound pretty old, running Windows 2000 and all?

Don't do option 1.

Why don't you get your company to fund you the money to test out Windows 7 for yourself on one machine. That way you won't have to wait and find out the results on tests that might not even be relevant to what your company does, but instead test it yourself to the specific needs of your company's machines. The cost of one Windows 7 license is worth it.
Or you could just snake around it and take one of the workstations home and download Windows 7 illegally and test it for free.
Great idea!!! I'll be the guinea pig! ;)

Quote:

Also, hook it up with a job when I finish school, tomato, k thx. I'd kill for an IT job in San Francisco.
I wish! Easier said than done around here
Maybe the economy will turn around, I DNK. A lot of outsourcing in the field, though
Old 10-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #12
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I can send you (via FTP or pando, or whatever large file transfer option you have) Build 7600 of Windows7, which is the final release that was only available for a few days, along with a patch for the key & activation. Build 7600 is as close to the full release version as you can get, and is good until August 2010. I've been running it on a duel xenon dell workstation and my acer netbook for a couple months now, and it works GREAT.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:42 AM   #13
brotan1x
The Mobile Computer Tech

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Liftback
I am sure you have tried to state your case about life cycle management and software licenses with the business. COST is always the issue with any business and right now everyone is tightening their belts.

Keep in mind that Windows 2000 Extended Support is ending on July 13, 2010

After this what little patch support and driver updates that were being pushed out will cease and you will eventually have to move forward to a new operating system in order keep your network secure. It is possible that Dell will deny your request to extend the warranty based on the operating systems age.

MOVE FORWARD!

Test Windows 7.. Dont' waist your time on Win2k.. XP has little time left.. Vista is more like Millenium Part Duex. (which we all have probable spit on that one a a few times)

Good luck with this gig.. I hope they are paying you well for this.. and if they aren't .. ask for a raise.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." George Carlin (1937 - 2008)
brotan1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #14
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
I can send you (via FTP or pando, or whatever large file transfer option you have) Build 7600 of Windows7, which is the final release that was only available for a few days, along with a patch for the key & activation. Build 7600 is as close to the full release version as you can get, and is good until August 2010. I've been running it on a duel xenon dell workstation and my acer netbook for a couple months now, and it works GREAT.
Thanks, man! I really appreciate the offer and if it was just for myself to play with, I'd take you up on it, but I think I'm just gonna wait until the full version comes out (not that long to wait). I don't even have a box that will run Win 7 right now, even my own PC's are just too damn old already.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #15
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
go with new machines, windows 7, with built-in XP mode
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #16
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotan1x View Post
I am sure you have tried to state your case about life cycle management and software licenses with the business. COST is always the issue with any business and right now everyone is tightening their belts.

After this what little patch support and driver updates that were being pushed out will cease and you will eventually have to move forward to a new operating system in order keep your network secure. It is possible that Dell will deny your request to extend the warranty based on the operating systems age.

MOVE FORWARD!

Test Windows 7.. Dont' waist your time on Win2k.. XP has little time left.. Vista is more like Millenium Part Duex. (which we all have probable spit on that one a a few times)

Good luck with this gig.. I hope they are paying you well for this.. and if they aren't .. ask for a raise.
XP has a lot of time left. years. I work in -a pretty big business- and (my company earns 4 billion every quarter) and many corporations meat and potatos are still on XP and will be for a long while....XP is fine and there is no compelling reason to leave XP. it is the
most stable Microsoft OS right now. wind 7 virtual XP mode, or simply XP sp3 will be fine for a long while
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:17 AM   #17
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotan1x View Post

MOVE FORWARD!

Hi, Brotan and thanks very much for the post. I'm not sure I understand exactly what you meant by the first sentence (in bold). But the rest of the comment makes excellent sense to me. I remember Millenium very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
go with new machines, windows 7, with built-in XP mode
I agree.

You're all being extremely helpful and what you guys are saying makes a lot of sense ! Thanks guys.

Any other ideas, please feel free to keep them coming !

Last edited by tomato; 10-17-2009 at 02:35 AM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #18
brotan1x
The Mobile Computer Tech

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Tomato (and sorry I took so long to respond.. I went to the lake for a few days)

What I meant by...

Quote:
I am sure you have tried to state your case about life cycle management and software licenses with the business.

In my job we always look at the current needs but always weigh in the future needs. The immediate needs may be satisfied by not spending money but what happens when hardware starts to die and the software you are using is no longer compatible or supported by its manufacturers. It is a very good idea to create a technology life cycle plan to manage the work places needs. This way the computers and softwares don't fall to the wayside when you are concerned with support.

Where I work we make it a point to replace each machine 42 months after the purchase. We also purchase the extended warranty. Once the machine hits that 42 month old date the business unit has to option to replace the machine or wait until it dies. We (IT) make the recommendation the business unit replace the machine within the next 12 months as to not lose production time if it fails. The idea being.. If it dies at a critcal point then you lose production time turns to loss of money.

We keep up with software licenses and have deals with specific companies to upgrade our licenses at a discount price as long as we continue our maintenance agreements. This way we stay up to date with the latest software.

The best thing about it is if you keep good records on this stuff you can plan when you need to purchase new equipment and software then submit it in a yearly budget.

A good result is workplace moral.. Less 'end user' complaints about slow equipment... Less driver and software update concerns. Saving money and time in the long run. Lets not forget production time improvements..

Buying on need is a good way to save money.. Planning the future need is the better way to thrive.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." George Carlin (1937 - 2008)
brotan1x is offline   Reply With Quote