Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
First thoughts: Carbotech XP8 pads and slotted rotors

Hello everyone,

I’m not sure if this should be under wheels and tires or performance or what, but here goes:

Last week I had the opportunity to upgrade the brakes and rotors on my 07' liftback. I had looked into bigger front rotors, though larger wheels were out of the question. Instead, I decided to install uprated slotted rotors and Carbotech pads from Cali Yaris.
I (like a dumbass) forgot to take any pics, but the install was pretty straightforward for both the front discs and pads, as well as the rear drum shoes. One of the front rotors was stuck, though with a pair of M8 bolts screwed through the threaded holes in the rotor, the problem was easily overcome, and a thin layer of anti-seize should prevent another stuck rotor. The rear shoes were a problem for me, if only because it was the first drum brake work I'd ever done. The left side took like 45 min., while the right side took about 10 (after I had figured out some of the tricks to removing and reinstalling the top spring).
Bleeding the entire brake system took all of about 15 min. (thanks again Garm), and the extra insurance provided by Ate Super Blue DOT4 race fluid is a nice addition to a basically new brake setup for this little car.

Now for my impressions on the new brakes:

Without really working the brakes over really hard yet, I'd say these things are amazing. Initial bite is phenomenal, and modulation is better that OEM by a great deal. With the OEM pads and rotors, once you reach a certain point in terms of braking force, there is nothing more you can get in terms of braking ability. It's like the OEM system is always on the verge of brake fade. With the Carbotech XP8 pads, braking force in relation to pedal force is linear all the way to lockup. My wife's yaris HB is still stock, and I've actually found myself braking a little too late due to the fact that I'm now used to the superior performance of the XP8 pads. As a note, I had the XP8 pads installed for a week on the OEM rotors before I was able to swap in the slotted rotors, and the braking performance was about 8-9 tenths as good with the OEM rotors.
Now to the downsides of the Carbotech pads (there are no downsides to the rotors):

As Carbotech warns, these pads to produce a fair amount of dust. It's pretty easy to wash off (a day driving in the rain took most of it off for me), though it is quite a bit more dust than OEM. Also, with the OEM rotors, there is a fair amount of noise. With the new slotted rotors the noise has dropped quite a bit, but I'll keep everyone posted.

In summary, instead of buying a big brake kit, I think the pads and new rotors are a better buy, and offer a huge improvement in braking capacity. I'll be running at Cal. Speedway in a couple of weeks, and I'll report back on how these pads behave under really serious braking.

Thanks again to Cali Yaris for making these products available to the yaris community, as well as giving me a flat piece of concrete on which to do the brake work.
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
That's too bad you did not do a 70mph to zero baseline test before and after.

Ok, I've been reading Car and Driver too much.

I am really interested in hearing how they peform at the Speedway. Are you doing the Autocross or the Roval?
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
Roval.....and while 70-0 would have been some nice hard data, the increase in braking performance is so great that real testing would just be the cherry on top.
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Thanks for a great review.

For those interested, we also carry the AX6 (the next pad down from the XP8, designed for autocross and "spirited street driving"), and also the 1521 upgraded street pad.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
**NOOB QUESTION ALERT** brake shoes the same as brake pads? Also, i know the rear brakes are drums, do they also have rotors? if so, are they the same size as the front? As in the set that you have cali? What are some other good brake manufacturers? My pads are getting squeaky and it annoying lol

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
no, brake shoes go with drum brakes, brake pads go with disc brakes. there is no rotor with a drum assembly.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
at3GG

ohhhhhh ok gotcha. So would it be unwise to upgrade the front rotors while keeping stock rear drums? Would that cause uneven wear? I know theres more strain on the front anyways but still i think i read that somewhere. oh yeah also...whats the difference between slotted....and drilled and slotted? there listed at the same price so i was wondering. The slots are for cooling right? Do you have pads for the front too cali? one more dumb question. Seeing as its almost $1000 to convert the rears to disc, is there an option of upgrading the drums or no?

Tanabe Df210's

Last edited by at3GG; 12-17-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
The reason the new pads made noise and you felt a slight difference in feel is because you had OEM pad material embedded in the OEM rotors. A bed in process with the stock seasoned rotors and XP8 pads would get you the same feel as the new slotted rotors do now. Actually bed in is usually faster with seasoned rotors vs. new ones.

Slotted rotors Vs. OEM offer no performance gain. You don't need to get new rotors if you don't want or cant afford to.

These pads won't really improve your 70-0 stops. They will improve feel and consistency over repeaded 70-0 stops.

If you want to decrease your stopping distance, get better tires.

Great writeup! I'm glad we have more agressive pad options available. If you fashion up some brake cooling ducts you can probably stay with these pads as you get faster and get stickier tires.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
at3GG

so unless I need to replace the rotors anyway theres no point really in getting slotted rotors? Just better pads I guess. You know of any good performance front pads? I'll probably go with the shoes microimage has because i trust garm, but i didnt see pads there

Tanabe Df210's
Old 12-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

well the brakes will never wear evenly. you could go through 2 sets of front pads before needing rear shoes. this is my opinion on the rotors but drilled and slotted i have had warp and crack on me and they are really designed for looks imo, the slotted will work awesome though for street and track use. although with the slotted it will eat your pads a little quicker. garm has pads too i believe.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by at3GG View Post
so unless I need to replace the rotors anyway theres no point really in getting slotted rotors? Just better pads I guess. You know of any good performance front pads? I'll probably go with the shoes microimage has because i trust garm, but i didnt see pads there
If you want to spend money, spend it on SS brake lines. You don't need new rotors. Just get upgraded pads for the front, and upgraded shoes for the rear.

A fluid flush, better pads/shoes and SS brake lines are all the brake upgrades 99.9% of us will ever need.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #12
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

+1 on the stainless lines...very worthwile.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #13
at3GG

gotcha thanks. Any thoughts on a good fluid? I've heard of stop tech quite a bit. They offer 3 fluids. One is specifically for cars with ABS. One is a racing fluid. you know by chance how much our system holds?

Tanabe Df210's

Last edited by at3GG; 12-17-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:39 PM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
You know of any good performance front pads?
That's what this thread is about!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #15
at3GG

haha you clown I know. Microimage doesnt list pads seperately, unless I'm completely blind. If i dont want to buy the rotors too, can i get just the pads from you? Thaats what i wanted to know. I worded it poorly.

Tanabe Df210's
Old 12-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #16
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
gotcha thanks. Any thoughts on a good fluid? I've heard of stop tech quite a bit. They offer 3 fluids. One is specifically for cars with ABS. One is a racing fluid. you know by chance how much our system holds?
MOTUL RBF600

That's what I rock!
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #17
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
You don't need anything too fancy for street and light track use. Brake fluid can get expensive. Something for under $20 a quart will be more than good enough. I've used Castrol LMA with good sucess.

It is more important that you change it frequently, rather than buy the most expensive fluid. As you use better and better pads and tires, you will want to use better fluid.

Last edited by largeorangefont; 12-17-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #18
at3GG

their racing stuff was like $13 something a quart. How much would i need for a full flush?

Tanabe Df210's