Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-11-2009, 06:47 AM   #1
jcdrotos
I've made a post!

Drives: yaris 3 door 2009
Tire rotation: Does TPMS recognize tire position?

I recently purchased a 2009 Yaris 3 door. In studying the Yaris owner's manual, I concluded that the TPMS system does not identify tire location. In other words, if a tire is low the warning light will go on, but it will not tell you which tire is low. If I am correct, it is then not necessary to re-program the sensors when tires are rotated (unless a sensor fails and is replaced).

My local Tire Kingdom/NTB sends me discount coupons that include a free tire rotation with an oil change. Since I got the Yaris, I happened to note that the coupon states that the free tire rotation does not include cars with TPMS.

I asked the dealer and, of course, they will gladly rotate the tires and re-program the sensors for $24.95.

Some brands of cars do have TPMS that responds to a low tires by telling you which tire is low. These cars would, of course, need to have the sensors re-programed when tires are rotated.

Is my thinking correct on this?
jcdrotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:53 AM   #2
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
no reprogramming is needed..... we have rotated tires on my wife's 08 Yaris (w/ TPMS) with out reprogramming and never had a problem
Old 04-11-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I'm glad to hear this! I'd just been reading informational pages on Toyota's TPMS system and understood it had to be reset when a sensor was moved. Maybe that's for higher end Toyotas with indicators for which tire position is low.

I don't like the TPMS system a bit! You're limited to one set of sensor-equipped wheels unless you move the sensors to the new wheels or reregister a new set, and in a few years the expensive sensors will have to be replaced when the batteries run down.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
By the time the sensors run down of batteries, if it gets too pricey I would rather take the dash apart to get to the stupid bulb.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
lol believe me the batteries in some don't last long at all..
I'm noticing a pattern......
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdrotos View Post
I recently purchased a 2009 Yaris 3 door. In studying the Yaris owner's manual, I concluded that the TPMS system does not identify tire location. In other words, if a tire is low the warning light will go on, but it will not tell you which tire is low. If I am correct, it is then not necessary to re-program the sensors when tires are rotated (unless a sensor fails and is replaced).

My local Tire Kingdom/NTB sends me discount coupons that include a free tire rotation with an oil change. Since I got the Yaris, I happened to note that the coupon states that the free tire rotation does not include cars with TPMS.

I asked the dealer and, of course, they will gladly rotate the tires and re-program the sensors for $24.95.

Some brands of cars do have TPMS that responds to a low tires by telling you which tire is low. These cars would, of course, need to have the sensors re-programed when tires are rotated.

Is my thinking correct on this?
You are correct. My local shops also charges more for a tire rotation on a car produced after Sept. 2007. BUT...a few of the shops in my area are now offering you a legal wavier that you can sign stating that they will rotate your tires without messing with the TPMS and if something goes wrong, you won't sue them. Even my local Wal-Mart is doing this!
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
blktiger60

Drives: `08 HB S
When I bought my custom wheels and tires I opted to not have sensors installed. This winter when I put my stock wheels and tires back on the original sensors didn't work - the light on the dash was lit.
I don't care, I can check the preasure manually.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
OT: jcdrotos, where in NE Ohio are you?
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:59 AM   #9
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
SOOO glad I got my car in August of 2007... though it's been amusing when I tried (and failed) to buy tires at CostCo. The guy there didn't believe my car existed, that the Yaris wasn't available without TPMS.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #10
blktiger60

Drives: `08 HB S
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWings View Post
SOOO glad I got my car in August of 2007... though it's been amusing when I tried (and failed) to buy tires at CostCo. The guy there didn't believe my car existed, that the Yaris wasn't available without TPMS.
The sales dude at Discount Tire asked me if I wanted TPMS stems. I told him no, he said OK and I got my custom wheels/tires without them. I did however opt for the metal stems rather than the rubber ones. They look better if you ask me.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
brody9981

Drives: 09 Mazda Miata MX5
So in a few years we will have to replace the whole stem when the battery craps out!? Anybody know the cost toyota charges? When can we expect the battery to crap out?
brody9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #12
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I read that supposedly the car makers insisted on a 7 year expected battery life. I'll be surprised if many make it that long.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:47 AM   #13
bB2NER
My Box and Her Egg

Drives: 05' Scion xB / 08' Yaris 3dr
I changed out the stock wheels for some 6 inch xB wheels. Didn't change over the sensors. Put a piece of black tape over the light and never worry about it again.
bB2NER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #14
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
By the time the sensors run down of batteries, if it gets too pricey I would rather take the dash apart to get to the stupid bulb.
Fortunately, that works for our cars. However, there are cars out there (e.g., Corvette) where the TPMS system is tied to the ECU and will actually cause the ECU to reduce power until the error is fixed.

Ugh, I hate these nanny systems...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #15
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
Fortunately, that works for our cars. However, there are cars out there (e.g., Corvette) where the TPMS system is tied to the ECU and will actually cause the ECU to reduce power until the error is fixed.

Ugh, I hate these nanny systems...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #16
mbt109

Drives: white yaris sedan
Hi all! Does it have fuse can we just take out fuse for TPMS?
mbt109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt109 View Post
Hi all! Does it have fuse can we just take out fuse for TPMS?
No, but this is an easy solution to disabling it:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11058
Old 03-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #18
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
Yeah, CTScott's link works great! I use it for when I do my winter tire rotation.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote