Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2006, 08:37 PM   #1
littlecarlove

Drives: Want a Yaris
Questions on pricing

A few questions on pricing:

I have no idea how all this pricing stuff works - I’ve never bought a new
car before. Now considering the popularity of the Yaris and the rather
low supply I gather that I’ll have to pay right around sticker price. Is
that what you all are finding to be true?

What exactly IS the sticker price? I did a “build your Yaris” and came
up with:
3 Door LB auto $11,950
Delivery, Processing & handling $620
Power package #D $1690
VIP Security $499
TOTAL MSRP - $14,759 plus tax & license
What should I expect to pay?

6 years ago when I paid off my truck I opened a savings account
and continued to make car payments to that account. I should have
enough to pay cash for the Yaris. Will that help my bargaining position?

Hays
littlecarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
littlecarlove

Hum… I’m getting’ no love here. Maybe my question is
getting misunderstood. I am NOT asking anyone to tell me w
hat they paid for their car - that would be rude.

Anyone remember the first few months when the Mazda Miata came out
in 1990? I wanted one of those SO BAD! But I soon discovered that
they were in such high demand and low supply that dealers were selling
them for up to $10,000 OVER sticker! I waited a year then bought a
repo 1990 Miata with 8,000 miles for $12,500. I used to like telling people
I got a $30,000 sportscar for half price.

That was the first time I ALMOST bought a new car. I want to do it
this time and I find myself in the exact same position I was back in
1990: HOT selling car - LOW supply.

I’m willing to pay the sticker price but I don’t want to pay more. When
I went to the Toyota site and did a “Build Your Yaris” I came up with
$14,629. Now I’m sure there is the rip-off charge for “dealer prep”
that needs to be added to that figure but I don’t know how much to add.

I’m wanting a LB with the power package - that is probably where I’m
going wrong. When I do a search on Autotrader I see some LBs with
the power package for $16 - 17,000 plus - is that what I should expect
to pay? One of them is $16,000 with 10,000 miles on it.

Maybe I should wait a year…

Hays
Old 10-22-2006, 12:05 AM   #3
crmclelland

Drives: want yaris
hey littlecarlove,

I'm in the process of shopping for a Yaris. I live in the the Phoenix area which is pretty competitive. I am a member of Costco so can get a pretty good deal through them. If you don't want to wait then you basically have take one of what the have on the lot or have coming in - limited choice on options. Another way I have heard that works well is use a car buying service through a credit union (of course you have to be a member). I have a friend who used this service to buy a Sienna, and would never do it any other way.

Anyway the short of it is, based on my local experience is you should be able to get on at MSRP or a few hundred off is you have the "leverage" of Costco or something like that. Availability here does not seem to point to paying above MSRP.

As far as the hatchback with PP, that seems to be a rare commodity, and I get different stories from different dealers (surprize, surprize).

Oh, on that HB with 10k miles for $16-17k, sounds like a great deal - FOR THE SELLER :)

Hope this helps...
crmclelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:59 AM   #4
littlecarlove

Thanks for the info! Glad to know they aren’t commanding more than
MSRP. I guess they list them like that so the consumer feels like they
got a good deal when they haggle down to sticker price!

I’ll look into that Costco thing. I’ve been saving my pennies for a long
time to get a new car and I don’t want to finance any of it. 16 grand
plus tax and license would put it out of my reach. I can coax 6 more
months out of my 1990 Ranger so I think I can wait for the right car.
Thanks again!

Hays
Old 10-22-2006, 03:52 AM   #5
crmclelland

Drives: want yaris
Happy Yaris Shopping!
crmclelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:49 PM   #6
dunkies123

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4 dr Sedan
new yaris pricing

hey,
I just bought a yaris 4 door sedan for under invoice price. Don't pay sticker price! You can get it for below inovoice if you do competitive shopping...go to one dealership and get them to go as low as they will..leave with the price on their business card. Take that card to another dealership they will beat it by $500 go back to the other dealership again and they will beat that!
dunkies123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:46 PM   #7
littlecarlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkies123
hey,
I just bought a yaris 4 door sedan for under invoice price. Don't pay sticker price! You can get it for below inovoice if you do competitive shopping...go to one dealership and get them to go as low as they will..leave with the price on their business card. Take that card to another dealership they will beat it by $500 go back to the other dealership again and they will beat that!
WOW!
Once you found one you wanted how did you have the nerve to leave?? You have a large set my friend. I want a LB with the power package... not sure I can leave without her when I find her.

Hays
Old 10-22-2006, 07:54 PM   #8
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
dealerships around here have an abundance of sedans on the lots. unfortunately, there are very few hatchbacks on the lots, or on the streets for that matter. i've noticed a few dealerships constantly get more hatchbacks delivered to them in comparison to others. but i've spoken to these dealers and these cars dont last very long on their lots. i guess the bottom line is that if you are willing to sacrifice getting exactly what you want, then you can definitely haggle the price to near invoice. but if you are willing to wait to get exactly what you want, expect to pay sticker. the build your toyota site should give you a very fair idea of the sticker price. there is also a thread somewhere here that lists the invoice and sticker prices for the yaris and all of its options effective 9-2-06. i would go by these prices. my wife and i have ordered our liftback already, and are willing to pay sticker since the factory mark-up on the yaris is pretty pathetic to begin with. the difference between the msrp and invoice of our car came out to roughly 900 bucks. for our previous purchase, a 2006 sienna, the difference in msrp and sticker was a whopping 5500! im glad to say that with all of the options we got, i paid 1800 BELOW invoice for our van. we pick and choose our battles, and we'll concede the sticker price for our rare and regionally unavailable yaris. there was no way i was gonna pay sticker for our sienna. my 2 cents...

--B
Old 10-22-2006, 08:10 PM   #9
littlecarlove

One of the best things about this car is that even at sticker price they
are very affordable. I’m sure the price will start creeping up as new
models come out.
Static808 - cute kid!

Hays
Old 10-22-2006, 08:16 PM   #10
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
I am paying sticker for my LB been waiting 7 weeks now its 13,248 with the sales tax on it.The most stuff you add the more the dealer is making and the more likely to knock some off if you see a LB you like better grab it.don't pay for any stickers the dealer adds on there .Where i am getting mine its sticker plus tax none of that doc fee or plate BS that's just profit for the dealer and there making enought off me getting the sticker this dealer is real close to me easy for for maintance
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:48 PM   #11
Billstein
Whew Who..

Drives: 2 Yaris Hatchs and Tacoma
TOTAL MSRP - $14,759 plus tax & license
What should I expect to pay?

MSRP Find the car Pay the sticker. Do a build like you did and print a copy take this with you. That will be what you pay unless they add something differnt. Worked for me
"HIS"2007 Yaris Hatch MedSilverMetallicPower PQ Package 17" Wheels Spoiler TRD ExhTipStiletto100 Radio Armrest 50% tint windshild 35% front windows 5% rear Aluminum TRD Shift Knob Keyless Entry VIP Alarm TRD Cold Air Intake
Billstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:03 AM   #12
static808

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecarlove
One of the best things about this car is that even at sticker price they
are very affordable. I’m sure the price will start creeping up as new
models come out.
Static808 - cute kid!

Hays
hahah, THANKS! oh, and in california, a good estimate of an out-the-door price (tax, title, licensing included) is to add 10% of the negotiated price to the, well, negotiated price!! meaning, if your sticker price is 10,000, out-the-door will cost you 11,000. thats a general rule of thumb here in CA, but double check yours since state sales taxes differ greatly.

--B
Old 10-23-2006, 12:09 AM   #13
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
I got well below MSRP.

Basically I just delt with a couple different dealerships and got a deal with one and took that offer to the next dealer and told them I wanted to get a better deal and if I could I would buy consider buying from them. I got as better deal and took that offer back to the other dealer.

It took a month or two haggling between dealerships but I'm happy to say this is the first car I have bought and walked away not feeling like I overpayed. it would have cost me close to $1000 extra anywhere else.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:29 AM   #14
static808

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS
I got well below MSRP.

Basically I just delt with a couple different dealerships and got a deal with one and took that offer to the next dealer and told them I wanted to get a better deal and if I could I would buy consider buying from them. I got as better deal and took that offer back to the other dealer.

It took a month or two haggling between dealerships but I'm happy to say this is the first car I have bought and walked away not feeling like I overpayed. it would have cost me close to $1000 extra anywhere else.
now i know why there are so few yarii liftbacks in the states: they're all in canada!! if you try to haggle for a liftback here, dealers will laugh you off the lot, since people are literally waiting in line to snatch up liftbacks. they figure, if you wont pay sticker, the next person behind you WILL. im soo jealous, free healthcare and nice cars. we may make a run for the border soon...

--B
Old 10-23-2006, 11:24 AM   #15
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

The difference between Canada and US is this

US buyers are way too picky, they want this color car, with these features but not that feature and that takes a lot of time for speacial orders and back things WAY up.

Having been in the sales area myself I know first hand MOST canadian buyers don't special order like that. They buy the cars on the lots. The dealers try to stock a couple different packages of each model and of different colors and for the most part the buyers buy that car. Besides that like here in Ontario all the dealers will work together to get you the car you do want. If the car you want is not in stock they will check with other canadian dealers.
When I was looking for my car I wanted a white, silver, or black 5door H/B, and prefered the fully loaded RS.
My local dealer did not have one in stock
Here were my options for the exact car I wanted

Wait 3 days and they will deliver my car from Toronto (less then 190km on the odometer)
Wait 10 days and have one delivered from thunderbay (demo w/50km )
Wait 15 days and they will deliver one from Nova Scotia (0 km)
Wait 30 days and they will deliver one from Vancover BC (0 km)
Wait up to 60 days and they will deliver one from overseas

I opted to have my car driven from Toronto and I had it in a couple days. Brand new but 180km on the odometer. No big deal at all...

In the US most dealers don't want to deal out of town or even out of state. Many buyers just drive a few states over and buy their cars there because the dealers don't want to do it.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:58 PM   #16
pxpaulx

Drives: Barcelona Red 5spd sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS
The difference between Canada and US is this

US buyers are way too picky, they want this color car, with these features but not that feature and that takes a lot of time for speacial orders and back things WAY up.

Having been in the sales area myself I know first hand MOST canadian buyers don't special order like that. They buy the cars on the lots. The dealers try to stock a couple different packages of each model and of different colors and for the most part the buyers buy that car. Besides that like here in Ontario all the dealers will work together to get you the car you do want. If the car you want is not in stock they will check with other canadian dealers.
When I was looking for my car I wanted a white, silver, or black 5door H/B, and prefered the fully loaded RS.
My local dealer did not have one in stock
Here were my options for the exact car I wanted

Wait 3 days and they will deliver my car from Toronto (less then 190km on the odometer)
Wait 10 days and have one delivered from thunderbay (demo w/50km )
Wait 15 days and they will deliver one from Nova Scotia (0 km)
Wait 30 days and they will deliver one from Vancover BC (0 km)
Wait up to 60 days and they will deliver one from overseas

I opted to have my car driven from Toronto and I had it in a couple days. Brand new but 180km on the odometer. No big deal at all...

In the US most dealers don't want to deal out of town or even out of state. Many buyers just drive a few states over and buy their cars there because the dealers don't want to do it.
dam you Canadians and your 5-doors I'm jealous! i think you make a good point about Canadians taking what's on the lot. (oh, i'm canadian by the way, just don't live there anymore!). my first car was a 99 civic hatch. basically went to the dealer and took the one they had in the ad that week.

i think americans are more picky because they are used to having cars they want available. lots here are generally huge, and have all types and specs of every model (for the most part) available for purchase. I also think that americans tend to buy cars more often than canadians. case in point, me. well, compare to my parents - they bought a new car every 2-3 years (i.e. a 6-year ownership in our 2 vehicle household). i've lived in the US for 5 years now, and in the last 3 and 1/2 we've gone through 6 cars (having 2 at a time for the wife and I). the reason for that i think is that the cost of purchasing (i.e. taxes - Ontario is 14% vs. 6.5% here in minnesota), as well as actual vehicle prices in general, are much lower than in canada. just my 2 cents though!
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:56 PM   #17
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpaulx
dam you Canadians and your 5-doors I'm jealous! i think you make a good point about Canadians taking what's on the lot. (oh, i'm canadian by the way, just don't live there anymore!). my first car was a 99 civic hatch. basically went to the dealer and took the one they had in the ad that week.

i think americans are more picky because they are used to having cars they want available. lots here are generally huge, and have all types and specs of every model (for the most part) available for purchase. I also think that americans tend to buy cars more often than canadians. case in point, me. well, compare to my parents - they bought a new car every 2-3 years (i.e. a 6-year ownership in our 2 vehicle household). i've lived in the US for 5 years now, and in the last 3 and 1/2 we've gone through 6 cars (having 2 at a time for the wife and I). the reason for that i think is that the cost of purchasing (i.e. taxes - Ontario is 14% vs. 6.5% here in minnesota), as well as actual vehicle prices in general, are much lower than in canada. just my 2 cents though!
I agree 100%
But take in account how many people live in Canada VS the US...
shit I would bet there are more people in California alone them most of Canada.
They likely crash more cars a day in LA and atlanta then Canadians buy.
Plus the have 10X crime, (stolen, cars and B&E)
Old 10-29-2006, 07:53 PM   #18
fred812
Authorized User

Drives: 2007 5 spd Hatch White
There is no way to shop around, They are so damn rare in pa if you find one.
They make you beg to sell it to you. I have a new found respect for TOYOTA DEALERS, THEY SUCK! I had purchased 15 new toyotas 1 every year. Now Im treated like a rotting dog on the side of the road. assterds!
fred812 is offline   Reply With Quote