Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #19
h-dogg

Drives: 2015 Yaris L
Nice purchase on the 6-speed. It must be rare to see manuals around from Toyota. I might have to convince my wife to pick up the hatchback version in a few years...
h-dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:27 PM   #20
KALISPEL II

Drives: '22 Mazda CX-30 CE AWD 6-AT
This Friday I'm getting the 3M headlight film installed on the new girl to protect them from hazing/pitting out here in the brutal Arizona climate (like most cars around here seem to have issues with). I had the same film put on my 2015 Yaris hatch 4 years ago & it kept the headlights looking flawlessly new/clear.

I am also getting a tinted strip installed on the upper front inside windshield to complete the tinting package for the car (it came with SunTek CXP tint already installed by dealer on side/rear windows - which was one of the added items that I effectively received for free at the price that I paid for car).

Another project that I am considering having done is a small custom vinyl mod to the gaping black front SE sedan grill/housing area, where paint matching 'super-white' gloss vinyl is strategically fitted/cut to the smooth black area between grill & accent light housings, to break up the extended black horizontal interconnected grill/housing styling look & give it more of a traditional & customized look.
KALISPEL II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:18 PM   #21
KALISPEL II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Hey, hey, congrats to you both! It's fun watching a couple guys that have been in Yaris' for years make the transition and hear your impressions as it's all happening.
It's somewhat bittersweet, to be honest. Part of me really liked the simplicity & lightweight, fun go-cart feel of my Yaris (& the hatch utility in general). I would have happily purchased one of the new upcoming TNGA authentic Yaris in 2020 that is being released in Europe & other countries. By all accounts, it appears to be a really nice little hatch. But, the U.S. market is stiffed again, sadly. My 2020 Corolla is more of a mid-sized car now than a compact (or at least it feels that way, lol), & about at my size limit when it comes to vehicles preferences. Also not a fan of a lot of the unneeded tech-bloat in the car, but unfortunately all new cars today have that to one degree or another. At least I can turn off most of it & ignore it (minus the stupid key-less ignition system & proximity fob).
Old 09-05-2019, 12:01 PM   #22
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by KALISPEL II View Post
It's somewhat bittersweet, to be honest. Part of me really liked the simplicity & lightweight, fun go-cart feel of my Yaris (& the hatch utility in general). I would have happily purchased one of the new upcoming TNGA authentic Yaris in 2020 that is being released in Europe & other countries. By all accounts, it appears to be a really nice little hatch. But, the U.S. market is stiffed again, sadly. My 2020 Corolla is more of a mid-sized car now than a compact (or at least it feels that way, lol), & about at my size limit when it comes to vehicles preferences. Also not a fan of a lot of the unneeded tech-bloat in the car, but unfortunately all new cars today have that to one degree or another. At least I can turn off most of it & ignore it (minus the stupid key-less ignition system & proximity fob).
I hear you. Having recently driven my sisters newly leased C3, I can understand. I'm a video gamer and felt like I had to puzzle solve to get the thing into gear. Then they commented on how funny it was that I looked over my shoulder when backing out. My Yaris took damage from someone backing out relying only on the reverse cam. New car or not, I'll always look. I still don't have a need for a new car, so I intend to keep going full ruh-tard with mine.

Out of curiosity, have you had a chance to drive a MK2? Since we didn't get them here in the states, I've never driven a MK1 and would really like to. Also, when are we going to see pics of the new hotness?

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #23
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Bronsin , congrats on your new purchase . The sedan is good looking vehicle . Keep us updated on gas mileage , etc.. Enjoy !

Last edited by Hershey; 09-05-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #24
KALISPEL II

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I just purchased a 2020 Corolla LE.. The bottom line of the sticker was $21,800 and I wrote the check for 20,300 so I think I got a good deal. I bought it for the adaptive cruise control since I have Parkinson’s. I don’t need the lane hauling or vehicle spacing features yet, but the automatic braking saved an accident whend someone made a left-hand turn in front of me and Stopped in front of me. I’d beat the car to the brake pedal. But the car stopped before I could apply pressure.

It’s a beautiful car and best of all it’s made in Japan!
Hey, congrats on the new Corolla LE sedan! My 2020 Corolla is also a J-VIN (made in Japan). All the new ones hitting the dealer lots now are made in the USA according to their VIN numbers.

I can see how adaptive cruise control would be useful, especially if you do road trips or have special medical/age considerations. I haven't done a road trip since I moved to AZ in 2010, so I never used the regular cruise control in my 2015 Yaris SE, except to test it once when I first bought car. I need to try the adaptive cruise control in my new Corolla just to see what's up.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:31 PM   #25
KALISPEL II

I finally took my car in today for some protective & preventative mods, plus the one playful mod that I wanted to try. I ended up doing more than I originally planned, since I plan to keep this car for some time, & wanted to get it protected from the harsh Southern Arizona environment & such as much as possible. Only the release of an authentic Toyota TNGA Yaris hatchback in the U.S. will tempt me away from this girl.

(1) Tinted FULL front inside windshield with 3M Crystalline grade 70% tint. This stuff blocks the incoming windshield heat & UV to such a degree that my automatic climate control system has the fan blowing on low settings at 110+ degree temperatures outside. It is barely darker than clear & outside visibility is unchanged.

(2) Had a 3M clear bra put on headlights to protect them from ever hazing/pitting/scratching or otherwise not looking clear & new. I had this on my 2015 Yaris, & was very happy with the performance of it. It has a 10 year warranty to not discolor or otherwise degrade in any noticeable way.

(3) Had the "full frontal" Suntek Ultra Paint Protection UV/Scratch/Chip film package applied, which covers the full hood, side mirrors, & front bumper painted areas. It also has a 10 year warranty to not discolor or otherwise degrade in any noticeable way. It really is invisible unless you are actively looking for it on the car.

(4) Decided to try the surgical front 3M vinyl wrap experiment that I mentioned in other posts, to break up the long horizontal front dark-gray grill/housing area of the SE/XSE sedan - & the results if you get in real close in-person, actually look like a factory feature of the front grill. I was going to go with white, but decided to try a sporty 'SE red' to match the rear SE badging color, just for the fun of it. I may switch to white later on down the road to give it a try. I'm sure white will give it a more conservative/traditional pulled-together front fascia look & vibe. It's also easy enough to remove if I ever want to get back to the normal factory look.

NOTE: The side & rear windows were already tinted by dealership with Suntek CXP tint, so I am sticking with that.

Anyway, here is the first quickie 'rough' pic of my new Corolla SE 6-Spd Manual Sedan below. The car hasn't been washed since I purchased it, & has also gone through a day or so of some rain. I still haven't received my new license yet, so I don't have that or the powder-white matte frame securely installed yet back there. I plan to do my first hand wash/detail/wax either next weekend or weekend after that.

This sedan really does look a lot better in-person than in cellphone pics.

Last edited by KALISPEL II; 09-07-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:25 AM   #26
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Hey, congrats on the new Corolla LE sedan! My 2020 Corolla is also a J-VIN (made in Japan). All the new ones hitting the dealer lots now are made in the USA according to their VIN numbers.

I can see how adaptive cruise control would be useful, especially if you do road trips or have special medical/age considerations. I haven't done a road trip since I moved to AZ in 2010, so I never used the regular cruise control in my 2015 Yaris SE, except to test it once when I first bought car. I need to try the adaptive cruise control in my new Corolla just to see what's up.
They tried to get me to go for a three-year warranty extension for $1200. This is very reasonable special offer because they feel the sensors for the adaptive radar cruise control will go bad before the rest of the car.

Did you see anything like that?
Old 09-07-2019, 02:43 AM   #27
KALISPEL II

Quote:
They tried to get me to go for a three-year warranty extension for $1200. This is very reasonable special offer because they feel the sensors for the adaptive radar cruise control will go bad before the rest of the car.

Did you see anything like that?
Yeah, I have a feeling that all of the extra sensors & such in these newer cars are going to need some expensive repairs if they are kept longer than 5-6 years. I see a lot of problem used cars on the market in that regards down the road some.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:13 AM   #28
bronsin

In my opinion the adaptive cruise control is unnecessary for the average driver. Safety begins and ends in your head. Idiots will find away To defeat any safety equipment.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:16 PM   #29
KALISPEL II

Here is a pic of the modified front fascia of the car after the small vinyl grill/housing project idea was installed yesterday.

Should I stick with 'SE Red' up front, or switch it to a white that closely matches the color of the paint?

Old 09-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #30
bronsin

One interesting thing about the new Corolla is the hood rod. It’s all contained in the hood. The socket you put the end of it in is in the fender!
Old 09-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #31
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
hmmm... I'd like to see it in white.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #32
KALISPEL II

Quote:
One interesting thing about the new Corolla is the hood rod. It’s all contained in the hood. The socket you put the end of it in is in the fender!
I noticed that this morning when I was checking the oil levels for the first time. I was looking for the hood-prop rod for about 15-20 seconds in the engine bay before I realized it was all attached to the underside of the hood.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:12 PM   #33
KALISPEL II

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
hmmm... I'd like to see it in white.
I knew YOU would say white (we tend to have similar tastes for a lot of things I noticed). My first instinct was to go white also, since it is more low-key, conservative & gives the front end a lot less of the factory alien invaders look, & more of a traditional melded look. I decided to try the 'SE red' out of impulse to see how it would look. I like it, & it does look sporty, but it conveys an image that is a bit too 'Civic Si' flashy for my taste. I can see myself switching it to white by the end of this year.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #34
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
I like it, & it does look sporty, but it conveys an image that is a bit too 'Civic Si' flashy for my taste. I can see myself switching it to white by the end of this year.
You nailed it, mate!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #35
3rdSEman

Drives: Black 2012 SE manual
Hehehe problem solved Kalispel got a 6-speed... you would have felt miserable driving an auto before it is imposed on you by xyz conditions: traffic, loved one, old age or whatever. I like red... white would break apart the grille creating Civic-like fake air scoops
3rdSEman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #36
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
Here is a pic of the modified front fascia of the car after the small vinyl grill/housing project idea was installed yesterday.

Should I stick with 'SE Red' up front, or switch it to a white that closely matches the color of the paint?

keep the red!

i like the bloody/ angry fish mouth contrast

looks mean
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote