Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
charleschia1986

Drives: Yaris RUSH HatchBack
How to remove the OEM Front speaker

hi guys,

i took off my door panel and found that my front speaker is mounted with some sort of weird screw (shown in the picture).

wondering does anyone know how to remove the oem front speaker? and yet can i fit a 6.5'' speaker on my yaris hatchback w/o any mod?

regards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00333.jpg (131.0 KB, 456 views)
charleschia1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Those are rivets. You'll need a drill to remove them.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
and make sure you don't use a long mesh, and do roll up your window before drilling. Eitherway, you don't want to drill through the body... nor the window. At worse, if you do, you don't want to drill through both. :)
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
charleschia1986

Drives: Yaris RUSH HatchBack
drill through?
OMG, i dun have a driller. is there any alternative way to remove it?
if i have the driller,waht size of drill should i use?

regards.
charleschia1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
goku87

Drives: Black HB
if you dont plan on reusing the speaker, you could always just trash the thing buy basically tearing the thing out.
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:20 AM   #6
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
You need a drill bit, any size 1/8" - 1/4" is fine, but others will work.
Set drill on a VERY low speed/torque setting, hold firmly with both hands, and drill just enough to pierce the rivet.
Then work the drill into the rivet, and it should come apart pretty easily.
Make sure you fish the rivet backings out of your door, or they'll rattle around.
(You could probably use a strong pocket knife blade and some serious time, but you're likely to bend the thin sheet metal holding the rivet.)

The new speakers will need an adapter plate, and I'd suggest using some small nuts and screws to fasten the new speaker.

Also, "YES", you can mount 6.5" speakers in the rear, using the same method. I used homemade MDF spacers to mount my 6.5" speakers, but plastic ones will work too. I just like being able to custom shape them and angle the speakers to fit the plastic interior panel.
I highly recommend putting some insulation in the rear cavity (fiberglass, dynamat, etc.)
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:22 AM   #7
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Yes, you can rip out the old speaker, but its more elegant to remove it properly, and you don't risk bending-up the flimsy sheet metal. Plus, you can sell the oem speakers to someone on these forums who has blown their originals. :)
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
Yaris - GP

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
hi

after you do get the speaker out can yo uplease take a pic of the rear of the speaker and post here. just want to see the size of the magnet and also any specs that may be printed on it.
Yaris - GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris - GP View Post
hi

after you do get the speaker out can yo uplease take a pic of the rear of the speaker and post here. just want to see the size of the magnet and also any specs that may be printed on it.
Here's a pic of the rear of one that I removed. They are tiny magnets. The only thing printed on the speaker is a number that appears to be a part number.

Speaker.jpg
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
IllusionX

don't mind the small magnet, because they are neodymium magnet.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
don't mind the small magnet, because they are neodymium magnet.
i'm calling bull on that. Neo is one of the most expensive magnets. Why use neo which would cost a dollar or more for such a small amount when you could use normal, cheap ferrite which would literally cost cents.

If you get into the physics of speaker design, it is actually kind of a bad idea for OEM stereos to have door speakers with decent sized magnets... The bigger the magnet the higher the BL (magnetic force). Usually High BL's are good, cause it means better control over the cone. However, the lower the BL, the better your low frequency rolloff/cut off will be. Since there is no OEM sub.... you want as much bass out of the stock speakers as possible.

Save money, and have a lower BL, and keep weight down... WIN WIN...WIN for toyota.

There are very few speakers intended for mobile audio that are created with NEO's.... In fact, up until about 3 years ago it was virtually unheard of. I just got a pair of NEO 6.5's in the mail yesterday in fact. The same company that made it made another speaker, that played virtually identical in the 500hz-20hz region. The second speaker was an 8", and used normal magnets.... the 8" cost 20% less. The price difference was almost all due to the difference in magnets.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #12
IllusionX

strange enough, my echo had ferrite magnet in the door speakers. They mesured about 4" large and 1/2" thick.

Sure enough, companies have started using neo magnets... the first pair that i've got was the infinity Kappa 60.7i when i had the echo hatch.