Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I am having same issue. I cleaned drain line and 3 weeks later it started leaking again. This time I pulled drain line off and it is not clogged. It looks like water in the plastic container that the drain line hooks to. Can I try to use a piece of wire and push it in the hole where drain line connects to. With out a mirror I cant see in that hole but I gently tried a piece of wire and I didn't seem to slide in at all. I have a 07 with 98,000 miles and no cabin filter from factory. I did manage to get enough water to fill a gallon milk container with just over an inch of water after cleaning line.
So, I am wondering if where the drain line hooks to plastic container if that should be a big opening or not as my wire didn't want to go without forcing it
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:30 AM   #2
slick1
Curiousity killed the kat

Drives: Yaris 2007
Simple solution: Yaris air conditioner water drainage/retention/sloshing problem

1) Lift up the carpets on the front passenger side of the car.
2) Disconnect rubber hose (top right hand corner) from the airbox.
3) Unplug rubber plug in the bottom of the car (underneath the carpet) to allow water to drain
4) Stick a hanger or stiff piece of wire into the hole in the airbox (and shake it all about)

Only took a few minutes to do.

I have pictures if someone would like to see what the hose looks like (this site needs a file area?).

Much simpler than accessing it from underneath the car.

Much cheaper than the dealers who quoted about $300 to do it (said they needed to rip everything out).

The dealers also claimed they'd never seen this problem before.

The smell seems to be mold or something from the airbox/carpet... and starts to disappear after the car has dried out.

I'm really disappointed by the Toyota response. This is obviously a common problem which they should be able to diagnose on the spot.

The solution is probably to fit a larger hose and/or to provide easy access to clean the airbox.

This is a manufacturing issue... and Toyota should address it.

Thanks very much to those who posted information which helped to diagnose this problem.

:-)

Last edited by slick1; 12-16-2010 at 08:55 PM.
slick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
Jassa123

Drives: Yaris
I agree Toyota are absolute A holes... they quoted me $400 to fix and i fixed it myself in 2 minutes the way you said... very very disappointed and angry with them..
Also it shouldnt happen in a new car in the first place
Jassa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
10Kyaris

Drives: 2009 toyota yaris base
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1 View Post
3) Unplug rubber plug in the bottom of the car (underneath the carpet) to allow water to drain
4) Stick a hanger or stiff piece of wire into the hole in the airbox (and shake it all about)

I have pictures if someone would like to see what the hose looks like (this site needs a file area?).

Much cheaper than the dealers who quoted about $300 to do it (said they needed to rip everything out).

The smell seems to be mold or something from the airbox/carpet... and starts to disappear after the car has dried out.

I'm really disappointed by the Toyota response. This is obviously a common problem which they should be able to diagnose on the spot.

The solution is probably to fit a larger hose and/or to provide easy access to clean the airbox.

Thanks very much to those who posted information which helped to diagnose this problem.

i could use those pictures.. thanks
10Kyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
arizonabay
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
More info on this issue

I had the same problem explained here happen to me twice on my '07 3 door. The first time I brought it to the dealer for regular service they said it was common and they blew the drainage hose out with an air compressor. It was fine for about 8 months but then it happened again. I found the hose and cleared it myself and everything is ok again.

the dealer also suggested using Lysol to spray the carpet to prevent mildewing if it gets soaked. I pulled back all of the carpet and doused the floor mats and the area underneath the floorboard carpet with the lysol after drying (styrofoam looking stuff) and the smell went away rather quickly. This has been the only issue I have had with this car and considering how easy it is to fix I don't see it as a major deal. However, it would be nice if Toyota would acknowledge it and issue a recall.
arizonabay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
DoWhatisRightToyota
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris '10
AC drain leak

Simply put, me too.

Leaking onto the floorboards, creating mold and headaches. Car has less than 7k miles on it, this is a complete design flaw and should be addressed as such by Toyota.

A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT may be the way to go. This problem has existed and persisted now on FOUR different years and models of the Yaris.

I have a friend with the same exact 2010 Yaris as mine, and had the exact problem about a month ago, only her AC got fried in the process. Her dealership installed some mesh grating up under the windshield cowel to block larger debris. My dealership only offered to unblock and clean the drain (full warranty), and charge me $40 for an air filter. I declined the slap in the face and will opt to do it myself after I pick it up this afternoon.

I am filing a complaint here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
And I am on board with anyone else who would like to join efforts to force Toyota to acknowledge their flaws in design, and own up to it. My family is a faithful Toyota family, however this incident could surely break that loyalty.

Do what is right, Toyota!!!
DoWhatisRightToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
NHYO
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 2007
I have the same problem on my 07 Yaris.

Followed the instructions very helpfully given on this forum and pulled the carpet back on the front passenger side of the car to reveal a totally loose rubber hose and the exit hole on the bodywork exposed!

I am guessing the hose is not normally held in place by the carpet, so it didn't "come off" when I pulled the carpet back. Is the hose supposed to be held in place with a special clip or sealant, etc? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, when I called the local Toyota garage about the soaking set footwell, they wanted to charge £50 just to diagnose what is wrong!
NHYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:00 AM   #8
Far out

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1 View Post

Please sent me photo of the hose. The carpet was hard to remove, do you just tear it out? Thanks.
Far out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
Jassa123

Water leaking under dash easily fixed!

Hello all, i am very excited to say i just fixed the water leaking from under the dashboard on the passenger side. I called up toyota 2 days ago with my problem and was told it would be an all day job and they would have to remove my dashboard (would cost around $400) They said my air con was blocked and was causing all the water to leak into my heater box and then run onto the floor. Well i thought that sounded like BS and so decided to google the problem and found many people with the same issue. The solution is simple.

Under the dash on the passenger side, pull back the flap of carpet a little bit and on the right hand side, down low, there is a little black soft tube that is leading to the outside of the car. Just pull on it and it will easily pop out. Dont worry it will pop back in afterwards. Then get a stick or something flexible and stick it up the tube being gentle. Water will run out when you have unblocked it. then plug it back in and the problem is fixed. No more water on your floor. I am a 28 year old girl with no expereince in cars and i fixed it so dont go to Toyota for this problem and save yourself $400. Good luck everyone. Hope this helps all with the same annoying problem. :)
Jassa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassa123 View Post
Hello all, i am very excited to say i just fixed the water leaking from under the dashboard on the passenger side. I called up toyota 2 days ago with my problem and was told it would be an all day job and they would have to remove my dashboard (would cost around $400) They said my air con was blocked and was causing all the water to leak into my heater box and then run onto the floor. Well i thought that sounded like BS and so decided to google the problem and found many people with the same issue. The solution is simple.

Under the dash on the passenger side, pull back the flap of carpet a little bit and on the right hand side, down low, there is a little black soft tube that is leading to the outside of the car. Just pull on it and it will easily pop out. Dont worry it will pop back in afterwards. Then get a stick or something flexible and stick it up the tube being gentle. Water will run out when you have unblocked it. then plug it back in and the problem is fixed. No more water on your floor. I am a 28 year old girl with no expereince in cars and i fixed it so dont go to Toyota for this problem and save yourself $400. Good luck everyone. Hope this helps all with the same annoying problem. :)
Nice job. I have this problem every fall as my driveway in under trees and I get the falling leaves on my car. Had to clean it 3 times last year. I rarely go to a shop for repairs.
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #11
Far out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassa123 View Post

How was the carpet held down, when I try to pull back, it was very restricted. I did not go any further from here. Was it velcroed? Thanks.
Far out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Far out View Post
How was the carpet held down, when I try to pull back, it was very restricted. I did not go any further from here. Was it velcroed? Thanks.
There is a piece of velcro that holds the corner in place. You only have to pull it back a couple of inches to access the hose.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
rnoelr
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris
A/C noise & Condensation

My wife asked me to look at her Yaris which was making a sloshing sound when it turned and there was some condensation seeping onto the passenger side floor mat. I took the bottom cover off and saw the A/C was full of water and was not draining. It was also creating condensation, which in turn, leaked into the passenger compartment. The condensation was easy to wipe up and I pulled the mat out to allow it to dry. I took a basting bulb and sucked out the water from the clogged drainage under the car. Do not blow into the drainage hole because you will only cause more problems. The baster bulb will cost you about $2.75 at your local grocers and you will use it again when you baste that turkey at Thanksgiving. It took about 4-6 squeezes to really get the water to start draining. It beats leaving your car at the dealership too.
Cheers!
rnoelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
Hank Corbett

Drives: 2008 3Door HB White
I have the same problem with my 2008 Yaris. Last summer was the first time I noticed the condensatation dripping onto the passenger side floorboard and the "water noise" whenever I made a turn. I took it to my dealer and they said a dirt dauber nest had clogged the drain hose. Fine, no problem for the rest of the season. Now, the first time I used my A/C this spring, the exact same leak returned. I searched the web and discovered that others are having the same trouble with their Yaris. Someone posted the pics of the drain hose under the floor matt and how to ream it out. I did that just now and got the excess water to drain out of the box. I used a ground wire from some Romex I had in my garage to poke up into the hose (apprx. 9 inches into hose and I rounded the tip by bending it back to keep from puncturing the rubber). Turned on the car and the A/C until condensation started dripping freely.....fixed!! I am keeping the carpet pulled up until the pad dries completely because it is starting to smell rank. I took out the door to my glove box, which was stuffed with manuals and what-not as well as a polishing mitt, which, I suspect, was being sucked into the air flow whenever the A/C was circulating. I have emptied the box and will keep my manuals in the upper compartment on the dash from now on to facilitate air flow. I hope this keeps thing operating smoothly. Thanks to the Yaris forum for providing valuable knowledge and tips.

Hank
Hank Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #15
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
For all you guys having this problem, if you don't resolve it in short order you may short the circuit breaker type fuse for the blower motor when it gets too wet. If your A/C suddenly looses 1-3 fan speeds, leaving you with max(4) only and your carpet is wet, it's most likely that fuse. The fuse is attached to the bottom of the blower, and about the size of a playing card. I had to fix this problem when I first bought my car...looked like somebody put some paper towels down to absorb the water and the wet paper towel tripped it, or it could have been the carpet itself.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg

Last edited by mazilla; 05-25-2011 at 02:23 PM.
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #16
MickZEL

Drives: Yaris sedan
Guys, and nobody tried to unscrew the bottom of the evaporator for further cleaning ?
MickZEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #17
DaveTFL
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris "S" 4D
So glad I found this site. A lot of good info. I have had this problem and eventually the blower would slow down or completely stop. Toyota replaced the blower. Now about a year later these symptoms have returned. The blower started first by making a noise like it was hitting something. Also the classic sloshing noise on left turns, and the blower speed (was on 4) would slow and when I came out of the turn and going straight again would run again at high. Later the symptoms got worse and would also slow down when stopping or accelerating, as it did last year. Now the blower does not run at all. Occasional it would come on briefly at 4 with just a trickle of cold air coming out. Removed the drain hose and found that it was clear. Ran a tie-wrap up into the unit and no clogs has been found. Water does not drain. Perhaps it has already leaked out as the carpet and pad are saturated with water. Pulled up the carpeting on the passenger side to allow pad, etc to air dry. Could not find the circuit breaker fuse referred to by mazella. As I said I had this problem before and Toyota replaced the blower and all was well. Has this water backup damaged the blower again? Is the clog now gone? Ran the 8 inch cable tie the entire length into the unit without getting any water out. Other than having the dealer replace the blower, AGAIN, and handing Toyota more $ for this issue, any other suggestions?
DaveTFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTFL View Post
So glad I found this site. A lot of good info. I have had this problem and eventually the blower would slow down or completely stop. Toyota replaced the blower. Now about a year later these symptoms have returned. The blower started first by making a noise like it was hitting something. Also the classic sloshing noise on left turns, and the blower speed (was on 4) would slow and when I came out of the turn and going straight again would run again at high. Later the symptoms got worse and would also slow down when stopping or accelerating, as it did last year. Now the blower does not run at all. Occasional it would come on briefly at 4 with just a trickle of cold air coming out. Removed the drain hose and found that it was clear. Ran a tie-wrap up into the unit and no clogs has been found. Water does not drain. Perhaps it has already leaked out as the carpet and pad are saturated with water. Pulled up the carpeting on the passenger side to allow pad, etc to air dry. Could not find the circuit breaker fuse referred to by mazella. As I said I had this problem before and Toyota replaced the blower and all was well. Has this water backup damaged the blower again? Is the clog now gone? Ran the 8 inch cable tie the entire length into the unit without getting any water out. Other than having the dealer replace the blower, AGAIN, and handing Toyota more $ for this issue, any other suggestions?

I have no idea as to what Mazilla is talking about with the under carpet circuit breaker (unless it was something added by the prior owner of his car), as no Yaris has such a thing from the factory.

The blower resistor, which is a metal package with a 4 pin connector, is attached it the bottom of the blower housing. It has an internal fuse, which if blown will only allow the blower to run on the highest setting. If the fan will only run on high, then that fuse is blown and the blower resistor needs to be replaced.

If the fan will not run on any setting, including high, then the fan motor may be bad or either the 40A HTR fuse or the 10A GAUGE fuse may be blown.