Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-24-2021, 06:00 AM   #19
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
I've always assumed they are OEM replacements :). Had them in my starlet with some lowering springs. Not a bad shock by any means, but nothing to write home about.

Search this site for Yaris. NCP91 stuff will all fit NCP131/30 chassis' as well.

https://www.spring-loaded.co.uk/
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 01:46 PM   #20
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
KYB touts the Excel G as OE replacement and they're nearly the same performance as them, too.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:46 PM   #21
NathanXPrime

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Soo side note . . . does anyone know where to get a rear swaybar for a 2006?
NathanXPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:47 PM   #22
Thirty-Nine

Well as the time nears to replace my old Tokico HPs with 80,000 miles on them, I see TRD still offers their shocks/struts. It looks like Bilsteins are out of stock pretty much everywhere.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:19 PM   #23
mannycheckers

Drives: 2009 Yaris 2dr Liftback
I have the TRD struts. They are a great improvement over stock.

However, my rear right strut was leaking after a few thousand miles. I don't know what happened to it. I ended up replacing that single one with a Bilstein B8 because the TRD are sold as a set.
mannycheckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:00 PM   #24
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannycheckers View Post
I have the TRD struts. They are a great improvement over stock.

However, my rear right strut was leaking after a few thousand miles. I don't know what happened to it. I ended up replacing that single one with a Bilstein B8 because the TRD are sold as a set.
Are you on the stock springs or are you on lowered springs?
Old 09-29-2021, 11:17 PM   #25
mannycheckers

Drives: 2009 Yaris 2dr Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Are you on the stock springs or are you on lowered springs?
I installed the TRD struts and lowered springs at the same time. I am sorta late to the game in Yaris ownership, having purchased one in 2019, so the TRD setup seemed like the best option available. I also have installed the TRD rear sway bar. I installed the sway bar first and feel like that made the most difference in handling. I do have to say as a former owner of a Fiesta ST, the TRD setup is really good. The Fiesta ST had accurate, but harsh handling that made dailying it almost tedious.

After all of the suspension components were in, I changed wheels and tires to Enkei RPF1 and 205/50R15 Continental Extreme Contact tires. Those tires were great.

I have since moved to a snowy-ish area and now run 205/50R15 Vredestein Quatracs because they are all-season with snow rating. The Yaris does not really make that much power to notice the loss of grip in the summer. However, the grip in winter is really good.

EDIT: BTW when I first purchased the Yaris, I was not really into wrenching and mods, but I found your blog, binged all of your content, and was inspired to make my car a much better vehicle for me. I ended up doing several things to my car (suspension, wheels, leather wrapping the steering wheel, my own maintenance, short shift kit, exhaust, speakers). Thank you for all that you have posted over the years!
mannycheckers is offline   Reply With Quote