Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-24-2009, 11:40 PM   #1
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Yaris in news

I'm not sure if anyone else has posted this article yet but I was quite insulted when I read it

(AOL Autos) -- The little two-passenger smart fortwo is the most fuel-efficient car (not counting hybrids) in the U.S. market, with EPA fuel economy ratings of 33 mpg city, 41 highway. For high-mileage frugality, it appears to beat the five-passenger Toyota Yaris and its 29/35-mpg ratings by a long shot.

I'm not sure about anyone else but I at minimum get 38 if not 40's on my yaris.
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
yeah i read this one... i wasn't insulted though cause it goes on to explain that the smart car should use premium gasoline which closes the fuel expense gap. and i don't get 40mpg. i have gotten that once or twice but most of the time i get low 30's. i only use it in the city and i swear this particular city i live in is obsessed with stop lights. still i think low to mid 30's is pretty good.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
GeneralDon7

I did read the rest, and got less insulted as i read but that first line, i was like , and I drive about 50/50, if i drive 100 hwy i seem to get up to 48
Old 04-25-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
I drive mostly city, and get low 30's, at most, right now. The SMART is a cute car, and got my attention, too, for a while, but no trunk space at all, and even less acceleration than the Yaris, sooooo...
Old 04-25-2009, 02:03 AM   #5
dallas

Drives: Yaris Hatch /Landrover D2
Don't forget you cant take 4 people in a Smartcar and they dont like hiway speeds for long, I was told by a used car dealer that a lot of used Diesel models they end up with have blow by which maybe caused by a urban commuter car used in our vast country run at 70-80 mph on the hiways.
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:29 AM   #6
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
I never get below 35 mpg since I got my yaris, city or traffic jam and I have a lead foot.

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
captainm27

Drives: 2008 Sedan A/T Silver
Why should this come as a surprise? The smartfortwo is a smaller car, with a smaller engine. Logic dictates that it will obviously get better gas mileage. If your insulted by this, than you should be insulted by any other car that gets better gas mileage than the yaris. Sheesh!
captainm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
frownonfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainm27 View Post
Why should this come as a surprise? The smartfortwo is a smaller car, with a smaller engine. Logic dictates that it will obviously get better gas mileage. If your insulted by this, than you should be insulted by any other car that gets better gas mileage than the yaris. Sheesh!

other than the smart and hybrids, there really aren't any.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
captainm27

Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
Here's 3 more (excluding the smart) from Europe.

http://www.hybridcars.com/environmen...ars-25323.html
Old 04-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
frownonfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainm27 View Post
Here's 3 more (excluding the smart) from Europe.

http://www.hybridcars.com/environmen...ars-25323.html

see many of those in jersey do you? i sure don't in texas.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
captainm27

Quote:
Quote:
see many of those in jersey do you? i sure don't in texas.
Those models are only from Europe. I was just making a statement about how there are more cars than just the smart and the prius that get better mpg than the Yaris. They are not necessarily here in the U.S.A., but they do exists, like the ones mentioned on the link.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I find it humorous that they (Smart) never tells you that it requires premium fuel. A "fuel efficient" 1.0 litre 3 cylinder car that requires premium fuel...rediculous.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #13
Ed_

Drives: 09 2 dr, 5M, Yellow
I get around 32 combined and the other day I got 37.5 on all highway, don't know how you all get over 40 let alone 48?
Ed_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:29 PM   #14
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralDon7 View Post
I'm not sure if anyone else has posted this article yet but I was quite insulted when I read it

(AOL Autos) -- The little two-passenger smart fortwo is the most fuel-efficient car (not counting hybrids) in the U.S. market, with EPA fuel economy ratings of 33 mpg city, 41 highway. For high-mileage frugality, it appears to beat the five-passenger Toyota Yaris and its 29/35-mpg ratings by a long shot.

I'm not sure about anyone else but I at minimum get 38 if not 40's on my yaris.
These numbers are what the EPA has determined in their testing (new "real world" testing started in '08). Most of us easily beat the 29/35/36 rating. Keep in mind that this is true with most cars now (for those that don't drive like idiots). People complained about the old EPA's numbers (as being to high) so they created a testing system which drive cars over speed limits (as many people do) or stop and go city traffic and with AC on. People with Smarts are probably exceding the 41 rating. I hear many people with Honda Fits say they regularly get 40 mpg on average when it's only rated at 27/33.

What's wrong with the article is the fact that there comparing the Smart to anything at all. The Yaris is twice the freaking size and they seem to be suggesting that the Yaris could or should match the Smart.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:10 AM   #15
GeneralDon7

I guess I should have rephrased that I wasn't insulted per say, but defiantly laughed when they said by a "long shot". I'm curious what an actual smart drive gets, if a lot of users here get quite a bit above the EPA estimated rating.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #16
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I just started getting a bit over 43 mpg over the last 5 fillups (up from 40-41 regularly). I couldn't be more pleased with the Yaris. You can keep the SMART car. It is unique looking but...I'll stick with Toyota service and value.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #17
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
Okay... so a smart car, with no room inside, no real HP, and a very tiny 3 cylinder engine that uses ONLY top of the line gas gets better MPG than the Yaris. Besides the 1 gallon of paint to paint the entire car twice over, what else can you do to a smart car? The Yaris has plenty of after market parts out right now, and we have room enough for 4 "normal sized" passangers, not just anerexic asians with growing disorders. (Not to be mean, rude, or racist towards anyone) The Yaris is a better car overall, and as long as WE know that, they can have their stupid smart cars, Four two's, and whatever else they can come up with that has less power and room than the average scooter. Maybe this should have gone in the "rant" section.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #18
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
why dont they compare the smart to the iQ ;)......that will throw it in the trash.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote