Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-17-2021, 11:35 AM   #1
ghowey

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Front Sway Bar

Anyone have information pertaining to diameter of front sway bar on 2010 Sedan versus Hatch Back? Are they interchangeable?

Thanks in Advance!
ghowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:29 PM   #2
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
My assumption is yes, but I’m not entirely sure. Are you hoping the sedan has thicker front sway bar than the hatch to upgrade? I bought an xD front sway bar for $50 to up grade mine, it involves dropping the subframe which will be a PITA. And most likely have to steering coupling from the rack and pinion. Most argue just put a sway bar in the rear. Me on the other hand just moved the rear axle frame mounting points to the upper holes and oh man it feels much better.

Last edited by Neinris; 01-18-2021 at 02:16 AM.
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:39 PM   #3
ghowey

I have a Sedan, and I has hoping the HB sway bar was thicker for an upgrade. It never occurred to check on a xD front sway bar. Anyone have diameters available for all three front bars?
Old 01-18-2021, 12:58 AM   #4
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
Spend your money on a rear swaybar instead. Don't bother with changing the front one.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:47 PM   #5
ghowey

Yeah, I spent a little time looking around the Forum after I asked.
Everyone pretty much made the same recommendation. TRD rear bar is ordered,
should be here soon!

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2021, 11:58 PM   #6
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
i have the cusco front sway bar with the trd rear swau bar, i will say in my opinion a bigger front sway bar helps a lot with the god awful body roll on the nose end of these cars, i track my yaris regularly and can say with confidence the trd sway bar alone is not enough, adding the feont sway bar will help the car rotate a little more ever so slightly so what i can now do when corner exiting now that i couldnt do before i give throttle input on corner exit, take my advise woth a grain of salt but upgrading the front sway bar makes a big inprovement to the car, it could also be all my other habdling mods as well
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:31 AM   #7
ghowey

Thanks! I'll check in to it. First the Rear, then I will look at the Cusco!
Old 01-21-2021, 10:16 PM   #8
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
I'm my notes are correct, the early hatch front bar (should have a blue dot on it) is a solid 24mm bar. The early sedan (purple dot) is a solid 23mm bar.

A stiffer front bar will help initial turn in, but ultimately makes the inside tire spin more, and the car understeer. Many of the B-Spec guys are running no front bar. I never liked the way the car felt with that setup on the H Prod car so we ran the smaller front bar.

Around 2015 (I believe) they went to a tubular front bar and aluminum end links on the hatch, so that is what we ran on the later cars.

All of the front bars are interchangeable.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:23 PM   #9
ghowey

Thanks J! The TRD rear bar arrived today. After installation and a little testing I will make a determination on the front!
Old 01-24-2021, 04:11 PM   #10
remcafee

yea i agree it will have a tendency to increase understeer, but again its probably just my setup, i have the cusco rs lsd and am running 205/45/16 slicks on the front so i guess if i were to still have dot tires and stock open differential i can see how it would increase understeer, one thing ice learned with racing fwd is you cannot force the front tires to do more than 1 thing, thats acceleration, braking and cornering all done on the front, tou start accelerating while cornering you will end up “pushing” out of the corner and vise versa, so i guess with dot tires and stock diff yes the front seay bar might do more harm than good, first install a limited slip, BIG tires up front, and .2 toe out alignment and you will see a benefit with cusco front sway bar
Old 01-25-2021, 10:46 AM   #11
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
yea i agree it will have a tendency to increase understeer, but again its probably just my setup, i have the cusco rs lsd and am running 205/45/16 slicks on the front so i guess if i were to still have dot tires and stock open differential i can see how it would increase understeer, one thing ice learned with racing fwd is you cannot force the front tires to do more than 1 thing, thats acceleration, braking and cornering all done on the front, tou start accelerating while cornering you will end up “pushing” out of the corner and vise versa, so i guess with dot tires and stock diff yes the front seay bar might do more harm than good, first install a limited slip, BIG tires up front, and .2 toe out alignment and you will see a benefit with cusco front sway bar
I have the OS Giken Super Lock Lsd and Hoosier slicks (not R compounds, full slicks), and no way would I run a bigger front bar. A bigger bar turns compression on the outside tire into lift on the inside, it's physics, and that is the last thing you want with FWD. Whatever you are gaining on corner entry with that big front bar you are more than giving up from the center-off the turn.

The car may feel better on entry with a big bar, more stable, but testing back to back with data will show lower apex speed and delayed acceleration - even with an LSD. Our first car had the Kazz LSD and we would still get inside tire spin with the sedan bar. A big front bar also starts to take away braking force if you are trying to trail brake, as the weight transfers and starts picking up that inside tire.

Typically big bars are a bandaid for inadequate springs and shocks.

Last edited by Jason@SportsCar; 01-25-2021 at 11:16 AM.
Jason@SportsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:21 PM   #12
remcafee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
I have the OS Giken Super Lock Lsd and Hoosier slicks (not R compounds, full slicks), and no way would I run a bigger front bar. A bigger bar turns compression on the outside tire into lift on the inside, it's physics, and that is the last thing you want with FWD. Whatever you are gaining on corner entry with that big front bar you are more than giving up from the center-off the turn.

The car may feel better on entry with a big bar, more stable, but testing back to back with data will show lower apex speed and delayed acceleration - even with an LSD. Our first car had the Kazz LSD and we would still get inside tire spin with the sedan bar. A big front bar also starts to take away braking force if you are trying to trail brake, as the weight transfers and starts picking up that inside tire.

Typically big bars are a bandaid for inadequate springs and shocks.
Hmmm i see i see well that is a good point as i have pretty soft springs in the tein s techs and bilstein shocks thry really arent that stiff, i guess if i had coil overs with better springs i would not do big front bar, i do like the ride quality of the tein spring and bilstein shock combo as this is my daily driver, i try to keep it as a true street car, but once i do coil overs i might end up pulling the cusco bar off, who knows!
Old 01-28-2021, 12:06 AM   #13
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Sorry if this off topic, but has anyone else done this? I felt like it reduced my under steer, but I think it hits my muffler, not sure about the gas tank. I’ll see if I can stick a GoPro under there and go for a drive to find out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9B886F3C-FE7F-456B-A5CE-6F6663794680.jpeg (245.4 KB, 129 views)
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:45 AM   #14
ElMagnifico

Drives: 2012 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
Sorry if this off topic, but has anyone else done this? I felt like it reduced my under steer, but I think it hits my muffler, not sure about the gas tank. I’ll see if I can stick a GoPro under there and go for a drive to find out.
Yes. there is a whole thread dedicated to it.
https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23911

You are lucky, some of our cars don't have that nut inside the frame to accept the bolt. I am considering drilling a hole in the back side to place one there.
ElMagnifico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:55 AM   #15
ghowey

I am not dropping mine, the Yaris handles pretty well from the Factory, the rear TRD bar did improve stability/cornering a good bit. I am going for a Stock Look, after all my Sedan is a Daily Driver. However, I am investigating the 2ZR-FE engine swap. Looking at the possibility of having the correct VIN in the ECU, and keep the ignition inhibitor in place!
Old 01-30-2021, 04:14 PM   #16
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghowey View Post
I am not dropping mine, the Yaris handles pretty well from the Factory, the rear TRD bar did improve stability/cornering a good bit. I am going for a Stock Look, after all my Sedan is a Daily Driver. However, I am investigating the 2ZR-FE engine swap. Looking at the possibility of having the correct VIN in the ECU, and keep the ignition inhibitor in place!
You can "introduce" new keys to an ECU without having to go to a dealer on these cars.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 04:41 PM   #17
ghowey

Do you have any specific information pertaining to the "Introduction"?
I see a lot of information out there pertaining to the same. Not sure what is
pertinent and what is not!
Old 01-30-2021, 06:52 PM   #18
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghowey View Post
Do you have any specific information pertaining to the "Introduction"?
I see a lot of information out there pertaining to the same. Not sure what is
pertinent and what is not!
https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=60629
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote