Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-15-2021, 12:40 PM   #1
Joseph Smith

Drives: Yaris 2019
Mice in the House

Hi there!
Does any of you have any experience with having a mouse infestation at home? My best friend has young children and had to move to stay with family last week after calling pest control out to deal with a mouse problem. They put lots of trays of mouse poison in the affected rooms and one of the trays was emptied (eaten) a couple of days later. None of the others have been touched. But the pest controller put some poison down a hole in the floorboards too. All has been quiet since then. Does it seem they might have died/disappeared? How long does it take to get rid of mice? The pest control will come back next week to check. Of course he knows all about keeping the trays away from the child, we are just curious why only 1 of about 12 or 13 have been eaten!
Thanks in advance!
Joseph Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:00 PM   #2
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
In my experience the best way to tell is to hang out where the mice are at night and wait.

A few years ago I thought I heard a mouse in the kitchen, so I sat in the living room one night with the lights out and watched them scurry across the floor.

I set traps and poison and about a week later sat there again and saw no mice. Repeated a few times and didn't see any more mice or any evidence of them (poop).

I was lucky to find out where they were getting in and sealed it up with expanding foam. At that point I put expanding foam into any space I could find under my house where they might get in.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:25 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I use regular mouse traps baited with peanut butter. If you poison the mice they will crawl someplace and die and stink. You only want to thin coating of peanut butter on the trigger . Also I use the traps with a large yellow plastic trigger. Mice cannot resist peanut butter. But don’t use a lot.

You also might try sticky traps

Good luck andt death to Mickey Mouse!

Old 03-16-2021, 05:49 AM   #4
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Get a cat.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:27 AM   #5
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
I always keep D-con in a spot where kids or dogs can't get at it.
It is almost impossible to seal a house against mice.
Yes they can die & stink, not likely based on my 30 years in this old house.
The poison causes the mice to seek water, usually they go back out to find it.
In all the time I've done this I found two carcasses and no odor.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:25 PM   #6
Jeremy Murdock

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Smith View Post
Hi there!
Does any of you have any experience with having a mouse infestation at home? My best friend has young children and had to move to stay with family last week after calling pest control out to deal with a mouse problem. They put lots of trays of mouse poison in the affected rooms and one of the trays was emptied (eaten) a couple of days later. None of the others have been touched. But the pest controller put some poison down a hole in the floorboards too. All has been quiet since then. Does it seem they might have died/disappeared? How long does it take to get rid of mice? The pest control will come back next week to check. Of course he knows all about keeping the trays away from the child, we are just curious why only 1 of about 12 or 13 have been eaten!
Thanks in advance!
Um... don't remember exactly what happened, but I remember one of my buddy had that problem 4~5yrs ago. These poison stuff do kill &/or make mice sick enough to make them avoid it. But later down, new one comes back. Worse part is AFTER part. All the dead mice bring bugs and smell to it. Better use ultrasonic repellers. They are relatively cheap and have proven to be effective https://everpest.com/

That all got my buddy & fam go crazy. In the end, he pretty much bust every wall and floors. cleaned up the mess. It was pretty disgusting scene (so he claims). He wanted to remodel the house, wife didn't let him... but he had excuse. So it kinda worked out in his favor. lol

Last edited by Jeremy Murdock; 03-19-2021 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Jeremy Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 11:03 AM   #7
kamui
Banned

Drives: kia rio
get a cat
kamui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:32 PM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
My cat cornered a mouse once. The mouse chased him away!

Old 03-29-2021, 03:12 AM   #9
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
If the mice are coming from outside the home, it will be difficult. It will mean killing a lot of mice and taking a long time.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote