Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
koharegistrar1
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
2007 Yaris Sedan S Ignition won't turn

Help! I've called the Toyota dealer and I've tried what they've suggested to do. First, it's very cold where I am at. I went to try and start my car and the key won't even turn in the ignition. I tried moving the steering wheel to the left and right back and forth while trying to turn the key and nothing. I used a blowdryer thinking that maybe it was frozen - no such luck, tried WD40, nothing, the key wouldn't budge. I made sure that the transmission was indeed in park and still nothing. Now I'm stuck with no way, other then towing my car to the dealer which is about 40 miles away. I've never experienced this before. It's acting like how it works when your outside door lock to the car door is frozen.
koharegistrar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by koharegistrar1 View Post
Help! I've called the Toyota dealer and I've tried what they've suggested to do. First, it's very cold where I am at. I went to try and start my car and the key won't even turn in the ignition. I tried moving the steering wheel to the left and right back and forth while trying to turn the key and nothing. I used a blowdryer thinking that maybe it was frozen - no such luck, tried WD40, nothing, the key wouldn't budge. I made sure that the transmission was indeed in park and still nothing. Now I'm stuck with no way, other then towing my car to the dealer which is about 40 miles away. I've never experienced this before. It's acting like how it works when your outside door lock to the car door is frozen.
Did you try a different key (and/or does the key still work in the door locks)?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Mine does that sometimes but it is just where the steering wheel is locked. Just try turning the wheel as much as you can to the left or back and forth while trying to turn the key but dont force turning the key.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
If you look in your owners manual it will tell you what to do in this situation. If you look down on the middle console where your gear shifter is, you should see a little square shaped piece that is right above the shifter. If you pop that little cover off and stick your key in there, it should fix your problem.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
...unless the steering column is jammed. I helped a lady in a parking lot recently because she bumped the curb, slammed it into gear and turned the key to lock position, all in one fluid motion. I had to turn the steering wheel with a lot of force, while turning key with normal amount of force. When I finally put enough pressure on the steering wheel the key turned with no effort...but I nearly dislocated my left shoulder when the steering wheel broke free from being in a bind.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
Doug007

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
If you look in your owners manual it will tell you what to do in this situation. If you look down on the middle console where your gear shifter is, you should see a little square shaped piece that is right above the shifter. If you pop that little cover off and stick your key in there, it should fix your problem.
This sounds like the likely culprit - had a similar issue in a Mazda 626. Let us know what happens.
Daytime Running Lights
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm
Doug007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:44 AM   #7
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Lucky your in warrenty. Ignition locks are a pain in the ass if you can not turn the key. Usually requires removal of the entire steering colum and possible help from a drill to remove it.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug007 View Post
This sounds like the likely culprit - had a similar issue in a Mazda 626. Let us know what happens.
But putting the key in the console slot is to move the shifter, not the ignition lock, correct? I always thought that was for times such as needing to be towed, but couldn't get car out of park because interlock switch wouldn't work due to a dead battery, bad connection, etc...

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote