Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-26-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Question Remote start Valet 561r install

I just bought a valet 561r from directed electronics, and I was wondering if anyone has installed this in their yaris yet? Its a 5spd '07 LB.

I will of course try to install this myself tomorrow sometime, however I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or guides to finding the correct wires, etc.

Thanks for any and all help
Old 12-27-2008, 03:02 AM   #2
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
You should have posted before you bought it and some of us might have tried to steer you clear of buying and installing such a device.I've known a few guys who have had these units installed and ended up taking them out after a short time due to electrical/techno incompatability with other components in the car.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/at_000515.htm

Sorry i cant be any help on the install but good luck and hope you have no problems.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
AlexNet0

Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
What do you mean by incompatibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101
I've known a few guys who have had these units installed and ended up taking them out after a short time due to electrical/techno incompatability with other components in the car.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Its trying to do one thing and another component is trying to do something else.,May or may not be a problem after your install.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Uhh, what are you talking about? I have a Valet 561R, and it works flawlessly.

CTScott thankfully helped install mine. Overall it was easy, as long as you understand what each wire is doing.

If you are intent on installing it yourself, then you could post up the wiring diagrams in the manual, and I could prolly remember what wires you don't need, what ones you do, and where they go. Also, Scott may have some pictures from the install that could be helpful.

I love my aftermarket remote starter/keyless entry. It rocks, and again, works flawlessly... just like the other 500 people here who have them.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Oh, and plan on this taking a long time... especially if you're not comfortable with car electronics.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Let me know if you have any specific questions while installing it. The 561r was an easy install.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
AlexNet0

That's reassuring, I haven't tried yet, as I was busy today helping my brother in law buld his house, however I am reasonably comfortable with wiring, car or not, I just want to make sure I do it right. The only real question that I have without actually trying yet is that: do you need to have a bypass toggle for the clutch switch, or can you just tap into the wire to the starter (well, to the ECU to send the start signal) as your "starter wire" from the unit? Or should I completely eliminate the clutch switch altogether? I dont know if having the switch permanantly "engaged" would cause any problems.

Thanks a lot
Old 12-27-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
That's reassuring, I haven't tried yet, as I was busy today helping my brother in law buld his house, however I am reasonably comfortable with wiring, car or not, I just want to make sure I do it right. The only real question that I have without actually trying yet is that: do you need to have a bypass toggle for the clutch switch, or can you just tap into the wire to the starter (well, to the ECU to send the start signal) as your "starter wire" from the unit? Or should I completely eliminate the clutch switch altogether? I dont know if having the switch permanantly "engaged" would cause any problems.

Thanks a lot
As a rule these tend to be sold as "automatic transmissions only". Bypassing the clutch switch and then leaving the car in gear ....OOPS!
BTW, Sodium Duck rocks an auto LB as do I.....
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
As a rule these tend to be sold as "automatic transmissions only". Bypassing the clutch switch and then leaving the car in gear ....OOPS!
BTW, Sodium Duck rocks an auto LB as do I.....
My 09 is auto as well. There are units specifically designed for manuals or as mentioned in some other threads one can build a neutral safety switch using four springs mounted closely around the base of the shifter. The clutch switch does need to be bypassed to allow the car to start. The manual specific kits have an output that only bypasses the clutch switch in auto-start mode. To do the same with the 561r you'll need to use an auxiliary relay.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:39 AM   #11
AlexNet0

I will take pictures to document and possibly make a DIY, since I have not been able to find one so far, I have found remote lock and alarm install, but nothing that points out the correct wires for the remote start.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:19 AM   #12
AlexNet0

Couldnt find the little diagram online anywhere, even on the directed electronics website, so I re-created it (rough diagram, I know)

LINK here Or See attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: png valet561r.png (116.6 KB, 131 views)
Old 12-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #13
AlexNet0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101
I've known a few guys who have had these units installed and ended up taking them out after a short time due to electrical/techno incompatability with other components in the car.
Well, so much for "incompatibility" lol, I have it installed, just need to add the Acc for the Climate control and its golden, works like a charm.

also, quick question, where is the relay/wire for the side lights, I didnt hook that up either. No big deal if no one gets back to me on this part, Im going to test around with my multimeter later anyway.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:35 PM   #14
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

I can pop my dash open later and tell you where everythings going if you want. Prolly around 7ish?
Old 12-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #15
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
Well, so much for "incompatibility" lol, I have it installed, just need to add the Acc for the Climate control and its golden, works like a charm.

also, quick question, where is the relay/wire for the side lights, I didnt hook that up either. No big deal if no one gets back to me on this part, Im going to test around with my multimeter later anyway.

Sweet. Great to hear. Between Scott and Sodium you'll have the rest sorted in no time.
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #16
AlexNet0

I believe the climate control is the green wire coming from the ignition(key).

Has there been a DIY on this yet? I haven't seen one but maybe I havent looked hard enough.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #17
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Hmm, which wire on the unit is in question? I'll go take a look.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:00 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

White and green are both required - White is Accessory and Green is the second Ignition wire.