Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
kenkyd
kanye

Drives: 11 Corolla S
Send a message via AIM to kenkyd
tranny clunk

well last night i got stuck, i called dad to help since his shop was down the street and well, when he tried getting it out, it was slammed in and out of gear from 1st to reverse and just revved to hell. after leaving and coming home, i started it later and a loud clunk came from tranny. shut it off and tried again and same thing, 3 times total. after warming up it didnt do it. once it cooled overnight, starting it again, i very slightly heard the clunk. the first time driving after being parked, reversed and made clunking for about the 50 feet i go in reverse. forward no noise except;

the other thing i hear now is from beginning of first to top of second is a humming sound. could be just snow in wheel wells but sounds like could be from center of car as well. it drives okay and all. no difference in shifting but now im worried.

what should i do?
kenkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
check your trans oil , but sounds like a bearing or ring gear failer.
take it to the dealership, warranty claim hopefully depending on your miles.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
I would get that looked at as soon as possible by a dealer. An engine mount could be broke, or worse it could be something inside the transmission. I would not mention this noise began after getting it stuck. Good Luck.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkyd View Post
well last night i got stuck, i called dad to help since his shop was down the street and well, when he tried getting it out, it was slammed in and out of gear from 1st to reverse and just revved to hell. after leaving and coming home, i started it later and a loud clunk came from tranny. shut it off and tried again and same thing, 3 times total. after warming up it didnt do it. once it cooled overnight, starting it again, i very slightly heard the clunk. the first time driving after being parked, reversed and made clunking for about the 50 feet i go in reverse. forward no noise except;

the other thing i hear now is from beginning of first to top of second is a humming sound. could be just snow in wheel wells but sounds like could be from center of car as well. it drives okay and all. no difference in shifting but now im worried.

what should i do?

Whens the last time your transmission was serviced. Check the dipstick for black color of the fluid or burnt odor.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Whens the last time your transmission was serviced. Check the dipstick for black color of the fluid or burnt odor.
Why would he service his tranny, it's a 2008.
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Slamming an automatic transmission from 1st to reverse repeatedly to try and "rock" a car out is the absolute WORST thing you can do to it. Not a joke or some myth, search for it online if you don't believe me...

I don't know if the cars ECU records this sort of thing, but don't be surprised if the dealership doesn't warranty it.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:01 AM   #7
kenkyd
kanye

Drives: 11 Corolla S
Send a message via AIM to kenkyd
i havent checked the fluid yet at all. it is only a 2008, but i have 20k on it so i should. i cant get an appt til after christmas, but hasnt made of the noises really. but still gonna go in.
kenkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
ahh... i didn't pay attention these few days about this thread lol. sorry man~

but after reading your first post, i'm under the impression your differentials might have been messed.

i've read stories about other toyota automatic cars being completely messed up like that... being stuck in the snow, and they rev it to hell and don't realize only one of their wheels is spinning.

result: jammed differential, burnt transmission.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote