Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #37
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
So far the spring rate is much stiffer than before, so they are working. Quality they are like a very hard polyurethane material and the old ones are like soft rubber.

That's why I was thinking on the MI springs 3K, I know about the drop issue?

Looks like coilovers could resolve my issues

D.
Or you could just use the MI springs all around, at $130, they are a deal and a half.

I wonder if there was a way to figure out the new spring rate, these make me want to try springs first, before buying shocks, or going crazy and getting a coilover system.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #38
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
you mean, with the stiffener? it's basically like taking out one turn of the spring, I think. Someone could probably calculate that if they knew the length, diameter and starting spring rate.

Not me, though.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #39
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
you mean, with the stiffener? it's basically like taking out one turn of the spring, I think. Someone could probably calculate that if they knew the length, diameter and starting spring rate.

Not me, though.
Yea, that was what I meant, and I don't have a clue on how to do that either. Also interesting to note that derickveliz2's linked ones say they are used by Nascar teams. Makes it sounds like a trustable product.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #40
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
derickveliz2's linked ones say they are used by Nascar teams. Makes it sounds like a trustable product.
Especially if they use them for beer coasters after the races. Or street hockey.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #41
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Especially if they use them for beer coasters after the races. Or street hockey.
now that would be interesting. Take them off the car and bring them to the bar.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:41 AM   #42
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Another option would be to get a set of custom made coil springs for the rear from these guys: Coil Spring Specialities. I bought a custom made set (fronts) for my Tundra after I installed a winch up front. I told them exactly how much extra weight I had added up front and they made some that were stock + the extra 200 plus lbs. Once installed, the springs brought the front of my truck back up to stock height. They worked great for several years, then I swapped them out for custom coilovers. Could be worth a call or at least check out their web site.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #43
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
Another option would be to get a set of custom made coil springs for the rear from these guys: Coil Spring Specialities. I bought a custom made set (fronts) for my Tundra after I installed a winch up front. I told them exactly how much extra weight I had added up front and they made some that were stock + the extra 200 plus lbs. Once installed, the springs brought the front of my truck back up to stock height. They worked great for several years, then I swapped them out for custom coilovers. Could be worth a call or at least check out their web site.
How much did they cost you?
Old 09-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #44
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
How much did they cost you?
It's been about 5 years so my memory is bit faded on the cost, but I think for the Tundra springs it was between $200 and $250 for the front pair. I'm fairly confident it would be less for a Yaris since far less material is required.

On their main web page, there is a Request a Quote link. Fill out the info and they will get back to you. Five years ago I just called them and gave all the info over the phone and just over two weeks later the springs arrived. I don't know what their turn around time is now.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #45
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
It's been about 5 years so my memory is bit faded on the cost, but I think for the Tundra springs it was between $200 and $250 for the front pair. I'm fairly confident it would be less for a Yaris since far less material is required.

On their main web page, there is a Request a Quote link. Fill out the info and they will get back to you. Five years ago I just called them and gave all the info over the phone and just over two weeks later the springs arrived. I don't know what their turn around time is now.
Hmm, that is quite a bit of cash, at least for the Yaris. It is worth checking out to see what they say.

I did send them a quote just to see what they would say, I also sent them a link to this thread.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #46
Herbicidal

Cool. It will be interesting to hear what they say.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #47
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Hello why?,

1997 Toyota Yaris

Front – coil springs - - 1.50” trim height & +40% rate increase

Pricing: $ 248.40 pr

Rear – coils springs - -1.50” trim height & +35% rate increase

Pricing: $ 238.60 pr

NOTE: I will need for you to send me front and rear coil springs off of the vehicle for engineering calibration and evaluation.

NOTE: I will need front and rear suspension ratio measurements. See attachment for measuring points.

NOTE: if you have made any weight changes to the vehicle. I will need to know the amount of weight (reduced or increases) and the location of the weight change.

Thank You and I await your response to proceed.

Kevin
So almost $500 without even thinking of shipping or other things.

It was a nice thought.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #48
Herbicidal

Thanks for posting their reply. I would think that if anyone was interested, just doing the rear springs would work fine. The ride would probably be too firm to do the fronts the same way. Especially if you're toting around 3 HUMOUNGOUS subwoofers <Derick>!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #49
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
I got the Deep Groove Spring Rubber - 5/5.5" Black Hard

more money but the compound it's harder. my ride is much better (sportier)

D.
After 4 thousand miles these are working really good (no super heavy subwoofer box though) with my NF210s and the extra 200 pounds of deadening material they are holding on very well.

Performance wise feels like I added a new rear Sway bar! the car is level (front & back) and performs really good, it shines at highway speeds (tracks so good) in windy conditions and takes ramps like a sport car.

D.
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #50
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

good to hear. I think I'll grab two of these when i get a suspension, unless I go coil over of course.