Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
marcar72

Drives: 2014 Yaris L 5spd
New Yaris Break In Period...

... and how to get it back to Springfield, IL from Chicago, IL which is approxiatemately a 250 mile trip. How should I do this efficiently?

I'm going up to the Chicago, IL area on Tuesday and will most likely be buying a new 2014 Yaris L manual transmission. This thought about the break in period just crossed my mind. Do you guys think I'll be alright driving it back home, even though it's mostly highway driving? I could take some backroads for a bit but even those will probably be county highways.

So what do you guys think?
marcar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:27 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Take the highway. Just keep to the posted limits, and no jack rabbit starts. The highway will be better than back roads.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
frambach

Drives: 2008 Liftback
I've always heard to vary your speed/rpm's a bit. Maybe do a stint in the final gear but break it up every now and again by using 4th gear (if a manual) or take out of overdrive (if auto).

You could also slow down (60~65, if on interstate) for a spell and then bring it back up to 'cruising altitude' after a couple of miles.
frambach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I don't think it even matters on our engines nowdays.

Toyota engines supposedly come already broken in.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
You'll be able to vary the speed on Interstate 55 between Chicago & Springfield no problem. Don't beat on it and don't go hard on the brakes for awhile.

Mine came from another dealership (Henderson, NC to Boone, NC) about 200 miles away. IIRC it had about 220 miles on it when I picked it up in Boone.

Hope everything goes well with your purchase...!
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:58 AM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I see no problem at all. Go as fast as you need to and use those brakes for all they are worth if necessary!
Old 04-15-2014, 06:17 AM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I don't think break in is necessary at all for the Yaris. Just be gentle at first and change the oil at about 1000 miles and you will be fine.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
According to the OM the first OC is 5k miles so theres no break in.

I think a 1k OC makes a lot of sense though.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
frambach

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Funny how folks will say 'you don't need a break-in' but then follow-up with something else that's just as similar like 'change your oil at 1k mi'.

The truth (according to OEM practices) is that you:
A) don't need a break-in time
B) you can drain your initial oil right on a normal schedule
C) you can break-in fresh engines with synthetic oil

I don't believe in or adhere to their suggested practices. They are in the business of selling cars.

If you get 140k miles on your Yaris, you'll be OK with that and you'll be well out of warranty. But what if I want 300k (or more) miles out of mine? What's the best practices to follow in that instance?

So, in my opinion, it's a safe bet to baby the car (and brakes) a bit when new (I mean, don't put yourself in harms way - if you need to accelerate to keep from getting run over, DO IT!) and change the factory fill oil and filter a bit prematurely on the first go around.

I don't think any of that is really necessary, necessary. But for maximum longevity, it sure can't hurt.

$0.02
frambach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #10
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
^ the point is that engines nowdays don't require the same care they used to.

If you stick to the maintenance schedule and do mostly highway miles, you will hit that 300k miles in no time without any issues.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
HAHA.. the first week I had my Yaris.
picked it up on a Wednesday sometime in August of 2010, it had about 20 miles on it
pre-registered for the next Autocross event
drove it to work the next 2 days (~50 miles total)
drove it to the autocross event on the following sunday (~300 miles)
Slapped on some R-comps to run HS class and drove the crap out of it
Came in first in my class (compitition was a Legacy and a Golf)
Drove back home the same day.
Realized the potential this car had
Autocrossed once a month and sometimes 2 times a month and 1-2 track days each year since that day.

Currently have almost 70k miles on my car now with oil changes every 5k miles and No other maintence.
Even my drive belts are not showing much sign of cracking.
My brake pads are still original and I still have about 6-7mm left in my front pads. (i checked 2 weeks ago)
I also do not have an issue with my waterpump going bad, even with the NST underdrive pulley kit (crank, water pump, and alt)
Old 04-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #12
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe

Cool...! I guess it doesn't matter what you do to with a Yaris, it is invincible!!!
Personally, I'm driving mine like an old man (that I am slowly becoming) Cars need to be driven, I guess no matter how soft or hard. As long as you bring it up to full operating temp. once a week or so, it'll be fine.
I just can't see spending 14 grand on a new vehicle & then driving it hard. To each their own.

Now my old Chicago Winter beaters back in the 80s, that was a different story
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:06 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by frambach View Post
I don't believe in or adhere to their suggested practices. They are in the business of selling cars.

Quote:
If you get 140k miles on your Yaris, you'll be OK with that and you'll be well out of warranty. But what if I want 300k (or more) miles out of mine? What's the best practices to follow in that instance?
19 oil and filter changes for me (all 'dino', no synthetic) in just under 278k miles. Just put in 5th air filter (including the OEM). Added part of 1 bottle of coolant (purchased at a Toyota dealer) to the radiator overflow reservoir to bring the level 'back up to the line' (at around 208k).

Quote:
So, in my opinion, it's a safe bet to baby the car (and brakes) a bit when new (I mean, don't put yourself in harms way - if you need to accelerate to keep from getting run over, DO IT!) and change the factory fill oil and filter a bit prematurely on the first go around.

I don't think any of that is really necessary, necessary. But for maximum longevity, it sure can't hurt.

$0.02
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:15 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post

Cool...! I guess it doesn't matter what you do to with a Yaris, it is invincible!!!
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote