Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #37
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
well i finally reached 594 km before my last bar started blinkin' it may not be as good as others but then again thats about 80% hwy ive gone fishin last monday. hmmm.. that might not be as good as i think it is...?
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #38
Canuck

Drives: 07 5 door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
Yep, my first drop happens at around 130km. The digital display is setup in a way to mislead you into thinking that you've got 1/2 tank remaining when you've actually got 1/3 tank left. Regardless, it's still very accurate once you factor in that idiosyncrasy
I don't know if it's necessary setup that way. I've yet to see a gas gauge that is linear and accurate.

I had a rental last week. First day, I drove about 80km. Gauge was pegged at full. Park the car overnight, started it in the morning to a gauge at 3/4.
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #39
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
After my last bar starting blinking I reset my mile thingie. I got to 20 and started to panic. I wanted to wait just to see how far I could get before filling up. But I got all nervous and stupid. Oh well, at least I know I have a good 20 miles after that last bar starts blinking.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:42 PM   #40
Sweet Mercury

Drives: 2007 Silver LB Auto!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
same here, except it does add a touch of futuristic look to the Yaris, but i still think they should have went with the reserve light i.e stop the blinking and just say add fuel lol
It's more like retro futuristic—I'd expect to see the gauge in a Delorian or something.
Sweet Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #41
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Mercury View Post
It's more like retro futuristic—I'd expect to see the gauge in a Delorian or something.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:02 PM   #42
Sweet Mercury

Quote:
i guess you can't read properly the MECHANISM of the gauge is ANALOG ie change in tank pressure equals increase/decrease of resistance but the DISPLAY for the thick headed --> THE LITTLE BARS is digital if they were ANALOG they would dim incrementally each time the gas level would decrese not turn off completely. You sure you didn't get your degree in a cereal box?

next time you feel like correcting someone read the post correctly , think about your reply for at least a week then post
Why is there so much argumentation on this subject? Why don't we just look at the definitions of analog and digital and see which one applies?

To simplify, analog refers to something that is measured continuously, or even better, referring to a measurement that is infinitely divisible. Digital refers to measurement in set, quantifiable states—think of the difference between the real number line and the set of whole numbers.

And digital also refers to a digital display (see definition 4).

So, the display is obviously digital by all applicable definitions. The measurement is given in set, quantifiable form: 8 distinct, non-divisible bars. How the internal mechanism measures gas I do not know. But if it's measured using any sort of continuously divisible means, like a pressure sensor/voltmeter, then it's analog. I'm guessing that's the case. If so, then it's an analog measurement, with the gathered information being converted to digital form for display, much like music being converted from analog to digital or a film photograph being scanned into a computer.

Can this argument be done now?
Old 09-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #43
Sweet Mercury

Quote:
its the thick head that is not accepting the facts anyways im done not wasting my time on this anymore. and i thank you for restating the facts, measurement ANALOG display DIGITAL .maybe now that someone will understand.
Ah, I just quoted the last person who was talking about it. I wasn't specifically directing my statements at you or anyone in particular, just getting the facts out there.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:46 PM   #44
TDL

Drives: 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I also ran out of gas a few weeks back. I notice now that once I fill up the gas tank, the indicator will show 1 bar missing from the top. If I turn off the car and restart it, it sometimes show a full tank. Sometimes, it will not reset it. Anyone else experience this? Planning on bringing it in but have been too busy at work.

Thanks All.
TDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:06 AM   #45
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDL View Post
I also ran out of gas a few weeks back. I notice now that once I fill up the gas tank, the indicator will show 1 bar missing from the top. If I turn off the car and restart it, it sometimes show a full tank. Sometimes, it will not reset it. Anyone else experience this? Planning on bringing it in but have been too busy at work.

Thanks All.
hmm can't say that i have any problems. strange.

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:54 AM   #46
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigal View Post
Yes, and is it easier to push a Yaris or just pick it up and carry it?

i'd go with the later..
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:27 AM   #47
landrym28
3,300+ at one point.. >:(

Drives: 2010 Hatchback RS
Send a message via MSN to landrym28
Quote:

Thanks All.
Yeah, I would definately get that checked out when you get the chance...it seems kind of strange.
landrym28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:47 AM   #48
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Quote:

Thanks All.
weird. this happened to me today on my first fill up.. i wonder what's wrong.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #49
Sweet Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
weird. this happened to me today on my first fill up.. i wonder what's wrong.
Maybe it's a glitch in the design of the gauge?
Old 09-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #50
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Quote:
Maybe it's a glitch in the design of the gauge?
should i get it checked?
Old 09-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #51
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
should i get it checked?
might as well. wouldn't hurt hehe

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #52
the_boss

Drives: 07 YARIS HATCH 5 DOOR
Send a message via MSN to the_boss
when I have 2 bars left and it been a day or so of driving i fill up the car and it get 38 liters in it... it says in the user guide 42 liters for the thank so 4 liters...15km with 1 liter...60km max...in my case...thank god I have roadside assistance on my cell
the_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #53
Angry Andy
angryandy.net

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5-dr black HB
Send a message via AIM to Angry Andy Send a message via MSN to Angry Andy
What's the fucking point in deliberately running a tank dry on one of the most fuel-efficient combustion engine-powered vehicles currently on the market?
Angry Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #54
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Why is there so much argumentation on this subject? Why don't we just look at the definitions of analog and digital and see which one applies?

To simplify, analog refers to something that is measured continuously, or even better, referring to a measurement that is infinitely divisible. Digital refers to measurement in set, quantifiable states—think of the difference between the real number line and the set of whole numbers.

And digital also refers to a digital display (see definition 4).

So, the display is obviously digital by all applicable definitions. The measurement is given in set, quantifiable form: 8 distinct, non-divisible bars. How the internal mechanism measures gas I do not know. But if it's measured using any sort of continuously divisible means, like a pressure sensor/voltmeter, then it's analog. I'm guessing that's the case. If so, then it's an analog measurement, with the gathered information being converted to digital form for display, much like music being converted from analog to digital or a film photograph being scanned into a computer.

Can this argument be done now?
The gas gauge does not show numbers. It does not show a quantity numerically. It is analog just like a clock with big and little hands. Our Yaris gas gauge shows levels of gas, and there for is qualitative, and NOT quantitative. The number of bars does not matter, nor if the gauge monitors the gas level continuously or not. The data on the gauge are bars, therfore the gauge is analog. For the gauge to be digital, it would have to show the gas quantity left in the tank in DIGITS!

The A/C thermostat in my parent's home is analog because the gage shows a pointer that points to the current temperature. However the A/C thermostat in my home is digital because it shows the current temperature in actual digits, for example 69.5F
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote