Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #235
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Prius has a software glitch

just needs new software loaded.

Toyota officials described the problem as a "disconnect" in the vehicle's complex anti-lock brake system (ABS) that causes less than a one-second lag. With the delay, a vehicle going 60 mph will have traveled nearly another 90 feet before the brakes begin to take hold.

1 second is an ETERNITY in a panic. I will still buy a dozen Toyotas over any other maker, but DANG!!!!
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #236
cdavidhess

Drives: 2008 White Yaris Sedan 5 speed
On the positive side, when Toyota starts selling the recalled vehicles again, they will inevitably be offering some great rebates and other incentives to get customers back.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #237
bigbang

Drives: Yaris sedan 2009
conspiracy!!
Take Ford for instance, and not that long ago. In October of last year, Ford recalled 4.5 million cars to replace a faulty cruise control deactivator, which was shown to be a fire hazard. That brought the total number of cars recalled for this specific problem up to 16 million - the largest single recall ever in automotive industry history.
were is the media on this story
bigbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #238
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbang View Post
conspiracy!!
Take Ford for instance, and not that long ago. In October of last year, Ford recalled 4.5 million cars to replace a faulty cruise control deactivator, which was shown to be a fire hazard. That brought the total number of cars recalled for this specific problem up to 16 million - the largest single recall ever in automotive industry history.
were is the media on this story
yeah. Fords would catch fire while sitting in your garage at night and burn your whole house down. the switch always had current and when it failed, it Trogdor'ed yer arse.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #239
eht13

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
yeah. Fords would catch fire while sitting in your garage at night and burn your whole house down. the switch always had current and when it failed, it Trogdor'ed yer arse.
Yes, I remember this! And while it was in the news, I don't remember it being made up to the same level that this Toyota thing is.
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #240
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
S.U.V.s that rollover easy , tires that blow , and a roof that collapses during a rollover . No thank you . Still stick with TOYOTA .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #241
Mistry

Drives: Red Yaris Liftback
Now is a great time to buy toyota stock...
Mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #242
Yar15

Drives: none
If Yaris is not on the list in U.S.A, in Europe it is.
http://www.iltalehti.fi/autot/2010012911024699_au.shtml (Finnish)
Yar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #243
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar15 View Post
If Yaris is not on the list in U.S.A, in Europe it is.
http://www.iltalehti.fi/autot/2010012911024699_au.shtml (Finnish)
http://translate.google.com/translat...ml&sl=fi&tl=en
Old 02-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #244
PaddyMac

Drives: 09 Yaris
NBC news Washington tonight covered the fact that pedals are getting stuck on the pile of floor mats that a lot of people have under the drivers pedals
PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #245
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
Great news... the fix is out and we have fixed all the vehicles on our lot. We can now sell all vehicles. The Prius glitch is kinda funny, because it isn't as much of a glitch as it is just the electric motor taking a second to pull electricity back to the battery. The brakes work fine, and even last a lot longer than they should. Several cab coimpanies in New York are actually complaining that there is something wrong with their cabs, because at 90K miles in a cab in New York, the brakes still don't need to be replaced. Of course, if you use synthetic in a Prius, the oil doesn't need to be changed until 10K miles. These people that are having issues really need to research their vehicles before they go to the news. It would be like saying "Theres something wrong with my Prius, because the engine just shuts off while I drive down the road, but it keeps on moving foreward. And then, the engine just kicks back on all by itself... IT'S TRYING TO KILL ME!!!" Or the guy we had come in and said the Prius won't come to a complete stop... even though it was at a complete stop. The tires on the computer were still moving, so he kept pushing on the brakes harder and harder. It was funny enough that all of us here explained it several times, and he still wouldn't listen, so we just laughed at how stupid he was.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #246
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
i hate to add fuel here but if anyone is interested, check out this video. this is of my own yaris which appears to have an issue.....

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffisthebest21
Old 02-05-2010, 04:08 AM   #247
yannis-b

Drives: Yaris TR 1.33 VVTi 101hp 5D
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
My last car was a ford puma (small coupe) which blew up on the motorway... Then I decided to go for something more reliable, either a honda or a toyota but I didn't really like the jazz (fit) and the civic was too expensive with only a 1.4 engine so the yaris was the obvious choice. I've done 1000 miles so far and I love it, especially after installing the rear sway bar :p Sure the recall is a pain but they are doing their best to fix it.
yannis-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #248
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
The biggest rub is that there was nowhere near as much coverage in 2008 when Ford had to recall 12 million vehicles due to a cruise-control switch catching fire. As a matter of fact, the top six recalls of all time were American-built cars. The 2.3 million cars affected by the Toyota recall doesn't even make the top ten list of recalls! #10 is the 1987 Ford recall of 3.6 million vehicles, which affected 1.3 million more vehicles than this Toyota recall!
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #249
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
i hate to add fuel here but if anyone is interested, check out this video. this is of my own yaris which appears to have an issue.....

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffisthebest21
That is not a stock floor mat, and that dealership needs to be talked to (seriously) about putting those floor mats in ANY car. That is why Toyota is having o many issues right now. They probably got some sweet deal on those mat, and that is why they are in there. The stock ones look MUCH different. I will post a pic of one if I can find one (hard to find after recall)
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #250
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Quote:
Haha about not buying another toyota because of the gas pedal deal

Ford
Chevrolet
Chrysler
Honda cars are catching on fire
Nissan

On and on and on... it seems all companies except VW have had issues with gas pedals sticking. Kudos to VW too bad the rest of the car is a piece of crap.

The reason it's such a big deal is because it is toyota. When your on top everybody comes gunning for you. Trust me they did not have to come forward to deal with this. Can you tell me when the president of GM publicly apologized for the lack of reliability?
I don't think people are gunning for them. They screwed up big time and several people have died or been injured as a result. I've always thought Toyota would have similar issues to other manufactures when they got as big as GM/Ford.

Don't be such a Toyota fan boy. They've know about this problem for years and have done everything in their power to cover it up including buying off government employees.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/RunawayToyot...tory?id=9747342
But internal government memos and court testimony analyzed by ABC News show the federal investigations were extremely limited in scope, after negotiations involving former safety investigators who had been recruited to work for Toyota's Washington, D.C. office.

Wow, the CEO came out an apologized after he couldn't cover it up any longer. What a nice guy.
cover-up?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #251
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Yeah, Toyota will bounce back after all all the smoke clears.

People generally realize that all car maufacutures have troubles on ocasion.Toyota is just way overdue.

Perhaps in the long run, this is a good thing in a way as it wiil make auto manufactures more aware of the hazzards of jumping head long into new technology without more thorough testing.

Yes, I know they test everything now but, they still want to hit the market with something new before the compitition.

I can hear now in board rooms: "Let's test it some more so we don't pull a Toyota".
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #252
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric81 View Post
That is not a stock floor mat, and that dealership needs to be talked to (seriously) about putting those floor mats in ANY car. That is why Toyota is having o many issues right now. They probably got some sweet deal on those mat, and that is why they are in there. The stock ones look MUCH different. I will post a pic of one if I can find one (hard to find after recall)

that is just a crappy WalMart mat with the dealership name on it !!!!
yes that dealership should be raked over the coals !!!

[either get a WeatherTech digital fit, or go home.]