Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #397
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkay View Post
Can somebody help with a question? I'm trying to do the rears. Does that clip on top actually get removed, or is it a molded part of the connector? I lift the clip with a screwdriver, then try to pry to connector back with another screwdriver and the connector doesn't want to slide off easily. The connector is somewhat loose because I can actually slide it back and forth a tad. However, there is significant resistance to sliding the connector off. Am I just being too timid about prying on the connector to pop it off? I just don't want to break it. Thanks,.
The outer clip does need to be removed. Look closely at it and you will see the line where it splits.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #398
robkay

Drives: Hatch
You're the best CTS! Will try to look closer.
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #399
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Yes CTScott is the BEST!

D.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #400
CTScott
ULTIMATE

And even better; I found a picture of releasing the clip from when we did the JDM Vitz RS rear axle swap on enviri's Yaris.

Name:  ABS Sensor Rear Clip.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  172.9 KB
Old 04-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #401
robkay

OK, I'm not sure I did it right, but I managed to get the connectors off to inspect them without damaging them. I'm still a little confused, though.

I have a service manual on CD, so I found instructions on page AH-14 -- "AXLE – REAR AXLE HUB AND BEARING" and there it provides the instructions:
DISCONNECT SKID CONTROL SENSOR WIRE (w/ABS)
(a) Using a screwdriver, remove the claw of the connector lock portion and disconnect the skid control sensor wire connector.

NOTICE: Do not remove the connector cover from the connector because the skid control sensor wire may be damaged.
Name:  ABSClipFromManual1c.png
Views: 839
Size:  32.9 KB

I could not see any "claw" to remove; in fact I don't think there even is one. What I did is I followed CTScott's instruction (I think...) to remove that clip that you can raise up on top of the sensor with a screwdriver. Well, turns out it is sort of a clamshell like cover that surrounds the whole connector. In my photo below you can see that there is a slotted locking clip that snaps onto a little nub; actually there is one on top and on the bottom. To get the cover off you have to raise both clips and work the thing off.

Name:  ABSClip1b.png
Views: 834
Size:  41.1 KB

With the cover off I took a screwdriver and gingerly worked the connector off. It did finally kind of pop off. I did not find any broken pins or anything.

Is that what I was supposed to do, CTScott? When concerns me is that the manual says "Do not remove the connector cover." Well, if by "connector cover" they mean that clamshell thing that surrounds the connector, that ship done sailed. I did not damage the wires, though, and managed to get it back on OK after reattaching the connector.

When I had the connector off I checked it for that "claw" they said to remove. I did not find any separate part that I could have removed. That's what confuses me about this whole thing.

Last edited by robkay; 08-25-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #402
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
OK, I'm not sure I did it right, but I managed to get the connectors off to inspect them without damaging them. I'm still a little confused, though.

I have a service manual on CD, so I found instructions on page AH-14 -- "AXLE – REAR AXLE HUB AND BEARING" and there it provides the instructions:
DISCONNECT SKID CONTROL SENSOR WIRE (w/ABS)
(a) Using a screwdriver, remove the claw of the connector lock portion and disconnect the skid control sensor wire connector.

NOTICE: Do not remove the connector cover from the connector because the skid control sensor wire may be damaged.
Attachment 53232

I could not remove any "claw" to remove; in fact I don't think there even is one. What I did is I followed CTScott's instruction (I think...) to remove that clip that you can raise up on top of the sensor with a screwdriver. Well, turns out it is sort of a clamshell like cover that surrounds the whole connector. You can see that there is a slotted locking clip that snaps onto a little nub; actually there is one on top and on the bottom. To get the cover off you have to raise both clips and work the thing off.

Attachment 53231

With the cover off I took a screwdriver and gingerly worked the connector off. It did finally kind of snap off. I did not find any broken pins or anything.

Is that what I was supposed to do, CTScott? When concerns me is that the manual says "Do not remove the connector cover." Well, if by "connector cover" they mean that clamshell thing that surrounds the connector, that ship done sailed. I did not damage the wires, though, and managed to get it back on OK after replaced the connector.

When I had the connector off I checked it for that "claw" they said to remove. I did not find any separate part that I could have removed. That's what confuses me about this whole thing.

They show to release the connector while it is inside of the cover. That may be possible to do if you can get into just the right position, but I find it much easier to remove the cover. As long as you are careful with the cover removal you will not hurt the wire.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:04 AM   #403
robkay

So, is that thing they show to pry up in their picture actually a separate piece that you "remove" as they say, or do they mean to just pry it up to release it from a tooth or something? They give you the impression that there is like a clip that you actually pry out and remove. As I said, I looked at the connector carefully and it seemed like it was all one piece to me.

In any case, as you say, it would be pretty tough to get in a position to pry that thing up and pry the connector off at the same time. I agree, it's easier to remove that cover. The wires look delicate, but if you're careful and find any broken I would bet they were already corroded off.

OK, thanks for all your input! (Old subject I know...)

After doing the rear I find that my BRAKE and ABS lights are still on, so I guess I need to check the front now.

Last edited by robkay; 08-25-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:46 AM   #404
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
So, is that thing they show to pry up in their picture actually a separate piece that you "remove" as they say, or do they mean to just pry it up to release it from a tooth or something? They give you the impression that there is like a clip that you actually pry out and remove. As I said, I looked at the connector carefully and it seemed like it was all once piece to me.

In any case, as you say, it would be pretty tough to get in a position to pry that thing up and pry the connector off at the same time. I agree, it's easier to remove that cover. The wires look delicate, but if you're careful and find any broken I would bet they were already corroded off.

OK, thanks for all your input! (Old subject I know...)

After doing the rear I find that my BRAKE and ABS lights are still on, so I guess I need to check the front now.

Using this procedure you can find out which one is actually causing the error:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&postcount=262
Old 04-15-2014, 10:17 PM   #405
limochong

Drives: 2007 yaris sedan
Can anyone quote me roughly how much does it cost for parts total to replace both rear skid sensors and 2 sensor wires??
Im in canada but U.S. Prices okay just want to see how much... Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
limochong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #406
"G"

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
You can't replace just the sensors. Only the wires.
"G" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #407
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Sensor is I'm the hub unfortunately ull need to replace hub bearing to fix sensor and harness

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #408
"G"

The hub bearing replacement only fixes the sensor, not the harness.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:50 AM   #409
limochong

Yup~ i need to replace both hubs and both wire harnesses.
Can anyone provide me with the costs for parts ?? Thanks

Old 04-16-2014, 12:59 AM   #410
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Before selling my Yaris I quoted buying all the necessary parts to fix the ABS / BREAK light issue and the cheapest I could get it was for around $250 but getting some genuine Toyota parts it goes up to around $500

Good luck

D.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:48 AM   #411
limochong

Thanks a lot!

Old 04-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #412
"G"

No, we are not dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limochong View Post
Yup~ i need to replace both hubs and both wire harnesses.
Can anyone provide me with the costs for parts ?? Thanks

Old 05-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #413
craigq

Drives: '07 Yaris, '12 GLI
Well last cleaned in Nov-2010, the ABS and ((!)) light are on again. Cleaned the connections and the lights are not going out this time.
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #414
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Connections are probably broken now. You'd have to check with small cheap sowing needles and a DVOM. Digital volt and ohm meter.

Sent from my iPod Touch
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote