Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
April 2011 Yaris sales: Down

The Yaris did not do well in April. Sales were down more than 50% compared to April, 2011. Year-to-date sales are down 48.5%, too. The Yaris, however, is an aged vehicle compared to many of the newer subcompacts.

Here's the full breakdown of U.S. subcompact sales for April, 2011:
http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...act-sales.html

I'll bet that sales will do better once (if?) we get the new Yaris here.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
I noticed last month there were 37 used Yarii for sale online within a 25 miles radius from where I lived. Now there is only 12. I guess people are buying used to save some coin. A new Yaris goes for 17k in my area.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
I just don't understand the Aveo doing so well. I had a rental Aveo and it's the worst car I've ever driven.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I just don't understand the Aveo doing so well. I had a rental Aveo and it's the worst car I've ever driven.
My wife has a '04 Aveo HB. She loves the thing, but it a cut way below the Yaris. Fit and finish is mediocre. It does require a good deal more scheduled maintenance (timing belt @60K, coolant@30k, ATF@30K). I have kept up the maintenance and it has been reliable as a work commuter, but it makes the Yaris seem like a sub-compact luxury car.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Could it be due to:
a) no supply due to earthquake/tsunami (there was a picture of hundreds of sedans that were destroyed) ; or
b) dealers gouging customers using earthquake/tsunami as excuse; or
c) customers staying away because they are afraid of being gouged?

I guess the other piece of information needed is # of days' supply of Yaris.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
It's hard to pinpoint Toyota's problem. People were always willing to pay for quality. Since the recall the brand loyality has slipped. Buyers are looking at other options.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #7
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
For 15k I can get a similar equipped Mazda 2 and for 17k I can get a 128HP Scion XD.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
I thought I just saw a report on the news yesterday that said the sales of fuel
efficient cars were skyrocketing. No doubt, the jump in gas prices has something
to do with it. Also, the title says April 2011 sales.....and it's now May.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #9
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
The Fiesta, as I predicted last year, has shot up to the top among conventional sub-compacts. Only the Soul leads on the list, but I don't consider that a conventional sub-compact. Ford moved 9,147 units - very impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I believe fleet sales have a lot to do with it. It's a popular rental.
Also, GM gives them away, Toyota doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
It's hard to pinpoint Toyota's problem. People were always willing to pay for quality. Since the recall the brand loyality has slipped. Buyers are looking at other options.
It's not a Toyota problem. It seems to be mainly the Yaris that has had sales issues the last year. This month, the 5 year old Camry still reigns as the best selling car overall (beaten only by the Ford F-150 pickup). The Corolla remains a strong seller as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revsson View Post
... Also, the title says April 2011 sales.....and it's now May.
The title is correct. These are April sales numbers. May sales numbers will release in June.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
bikesbikes

Drives: 04 echo
I think it has a lot to do with all the competition in this market segment. The Yaris is one of the older cars and is due for a re-design. The marketing campaigns for the Ford Fiesta and the Korean cars is also very agressive not to mention their lease and finance terms are pretty much 0%.

Overall a customer who wants to purchase a quality sub-compact and intends to keep it for a LONG time will likely choose between the Yaris or the Fit. Although quality and reliability has been getting better across the board.
bikesbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #11
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
The Fiesta, as I predicted last year, has shot up to the top among conventional sub-compacts.Only the Soul leads on the list, but I don't consider that a conventional sub-compact.
That was my thought as well. It's a pretty big car.

Quote:
I believe fleet sales have a lot to do with it. It's a popular rental.
Also, GM gives them away, Toyota doesn't.
Would be interesting to see if this is true. When I was working at GM (3years ago) one of their strategies was to cut down on fleet sales. Wouldn't surprise me if they ignored all that though.

Anywho, glad to see Ford doing well. I almost bought a Fiesta. I"m also glad Kia is doing well, despite that fact I don't know if it belongs in this class or not. The more competition there is, the better it is for all of us.
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
wufai

Drives: Silver Yaris Sedan (4A)
Since 2007, the Yaris is showing its age in the auto world. When Hyundai can introduce the new compact Elantra with better features, lower fuel comsumption and more hp than the Yaris it becomes harder to justify the benefits of the Yaris.
wufai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by wufai View Post
Since 2007, the Yaris is showing its age in the auto world. When Hyundai can introduce the new compact Elantra with better features, lower fuel comsumption and more hp than the Yaris it becomes harder to justify the benefits of the Yaris.
That's a good point.

Although the Elantra is not a competitor of the smaller Yaris, these latest compacts are certainly doing damage to sub-compact sales considering they match and even beat smaller sub-compacts in fuel economy.

Logic would suggest the smallest cars get the best fuel efficiency, but that is not always true.

The Yaris used to be the most fuel efficient non-hybrid car you could buy at 29/35-36 MPG during its first few years. Now, the considerably larger Elantra gets 30/40 MPG. The Cruze ECO gets 42 MPG hwy, the Focus FE gets 40 MPG hwy and the '12 Civic HF gets 41 MPG hwy.

The only argument left for buying a sub-compact is the lower purchase price, and even then, it's not much lower when compared to base prices for the above compacts (especially the $15K Elantra).

With that all said, the newest sub-compacts coming will also get 40 MPG. But that still doesn't beat the compacts.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote