Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-01-2023, 05:31 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Ace motor oil $3.49 a quart

Hurry, hurry hurry Ace Hardware is having its annual sale of Ace brand motor oil $3.49 a quart. I think it’s 599 a quart during the rest of the year. May 1 through May 31. But you better act quickly because It’s going to disappear fast. Today is the first day. I’m going to go clean them out!

But I use only synthetic oil I hear you say. Well my 2020 Corolla, which only has a spec using synthetic oil according to the owners, manual can go 10,000 miles between oil changes. That’s 0W 20 oil. But you must read the fine print! The owners manual says you have to change the oil every six months. Regardless of mileage. It’s in the fine print, which isnt easy to locate. The fine print also says which is very hard to find, that you can use 5W 20 conventional motor oil as long as you change it every 5000 miles. I don’t know about you but synthetic oil or not. I’m changing it every 5000 miles. It also says other things which limit the amount of mileage you can drive using synthetic oil. But I don’t remember them too well.

If you have been reading my posts, you know my wife’s 2005 Camry just hit 200,000 miles. Hasn’t seen a drop of synthetic oil only conventional oil. If you listen to Scotty on YouTube, you know these 2.4 L engines burn oil. They were made from 2002 to 2006 I believe. The later 2.5 L engines made 2007 and after don’t use oil. My wife’s camry uses about 2 quarts of oil every 5000 miles. But she doesn’t drive it on the highway. She just drives about 10 miles to and from work. If she drove it 75 miles an hour they would use a lot more oil. But we have the Corolla for that sort of thing.

If you change your oil And use regular motor oil. You can save a lot of money. You can even use fram oil filters. If you must have synthetic oil, Amazon is selling mobile 0W 20 $22 for 5 quarts. Here in New Jersey Lexus is charging $110 to change the oil in my I S250 C. In California it’s $160! I can do the Lexus for about $30.!
Old 05-01-2023, 09:34 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Just got back with the oil. It’s not six dollars a quart it’s seven dollars a quart when it’s not on sale.

Just a few years ago it was four dollars a quart. Once a year it went on sale for two dollars a quart!