Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-25-2023, 09:20 PM   #1
MyCarWasFree

Drives: 2010 Yaris 4 door hatch
Aftermarket Transmission cooler

Hey everyone I finally got around to getting a used trans for my 2010 it’ll be here Thursday. 110k on it. I want to add an aftermarket larger transmission cooler to the car as assurance. My question is which line it’s the return from the cooler? I want to add an inline filter after the cooler before the transmission as well. Thanks everyone can’t wait to have my car bad.
MyCarWasFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 10:39 PM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
to be honest...you shouldnt need one unless your towing
and if you are towing then id also reccomend adding a fan to said cooler and get into a habbit of switching it on while towing

as far as which line you hook it to it truely doesnt matter..."idealy" you would want to hook it to the trans out not the trans in....this is a commin mistake as you dont want to "over cool" the trans fluid or youll do damage, you want to cool the fluid off as it come s out of the trans and then warm it to operation temps via the radiator...and more over you should have a "cold temp bypass" on your cooler to help the trans warm up.....most transmission damage is done in the first 10 mins of use before the trans has warmed up(towing aside that is)
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:15 AM   #3
MyCarWasFree

Drives: 2010 Yaris 4 door hatch
Copy so the stock cooler should be fine then? I’d still atleast like to add the inline filter as just a little bit more back up. I’m planning on replacing the filter in the pan but the last thing I want is to put this thing in and then 100 miles down the road it’s toast to.
MyCarWasFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:02 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
These cars go hundreds of thousands of miles without any modifications. Changing the oil and filter under the pan would make sense. Adding a cooler or a filter to the transmission Might cause problems!

I would like to congratulate you on purchasing an outstanding car. I hope you have good luck with it.
Old 04-26-2023, 03:49 PM   #5
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
ditto on that, the "flow restriction" of a inline filter may actually cause line pressure issue and result in failure...this aint no turbo 350
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote