Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
captainm27

Drives: 2008 Sedan A/T Silver
Higher Tire Pressure

Reading around the forums, some say that higher tire pressure increases mileage and thread life, but makes for a bumpy ride. I have a few questions about higher tire pressures.

1. I just bought my car last summer: Would increasing the pressure beyond the recommend 32psi void my tire warranty?

2. Is the ride REALLY more bumpy?

3. Would it increase the chances of a blowout if I went through some heavy pot holes? (Lots of pot holes on my drive to work, sometimes I hit them constantly at night when it's harder to see them.)

4. Any pictures of really high tire pressures?

I seem to have a fear of filling it up too high because of the story my friend told me: He noticed his tire was low, so he went to the pump to fill up. I guess he overfilled, because last thing he knew, he heard a loud pop before going deaf for a few minutes, while laying on the ground dazed out.
captainm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
YARIS has 32 p.s.i. stated on the tag that's located on the drivers side of the I-pillar frame on the body of car . 34 > 35 p.s.i. seems to be good for ride with us . Results may vary .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
I rock max.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Overinflate and your car will bounce all over the road and handle like shit!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
SailDesign

Drives: .
I put mine (205/45-16) at 42psi or so. I find this improves handling in the dry and gives me MARGINALLY better bite in the snow. this is with Toyo Proxes4 tires, adn I would have to re-experiment with any other tire, as they all behave differntly. My preferred pressure and yours will be different due to tires. driving style (or lack thereof) and maybe even local road surfaces.
I find lower pressures give the car a "slushy" feeling in corners, but improve braking response (the patch's aspect ratio changes as well as its area)
YMMV
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
I dont get the logic of pumping up the tires beyond specs to save a few pennies at the pump then wasting a whole bunch of money on Toyo Proxes4 ultra high performance tires when tires at half the price would serve transportation needs adequately.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
I put mine (205/45-16) at 42psi or so. I find this improves handling in the dry and gives me MARGINALLY better bite in the snow. this is with Toyo Proxes4 tires, adn I would have to re-experiment with any other tire, as they all behave differntly. My preferred pressure and yours will be different due to tires. driving style (or lack thereof) and maybe even local road surfaces.
I find lower pressures give the car a "slushy" feeling in corners, but improve braking response (the patch's aspect ratio changes as well as its area)
YMMV
You get better grip with lower PSI.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I dont get the logic of pumping up the tires beyond specs to save a few pennies at the pump then wasting a whole bunch of money on Toyo Proxes4 ultra high performance tires when tires at half the price would serve transportation needs adequately.
With that logic, you might as well rock the cheapest tires possible.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
SailDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
You get better grip with lower PSI.
But then the sidewalls deflect and the cornering suffers. I have my test corners locally, not to mention the commute, and the 42psi gives the best cornering for me/the roads/tires/etc. I kid you not!
Acceleration "grip?" Not interested - not in THIS car....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Not trying to save pennies at the pump. Trying to enjoy the drive
We each have a different definition of "enjoy" when it comes to driving.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #10
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
But then the sidewalls deflect and the cornering suffers. I have my test corners locally, not to mention the commute, and the 42psi gives the best cornering for me/the roads/tires/etc. I kid you not!
Acceleration "grip?" Not interested - not in THIS car....

Not trying to save pennies at the pump. Trying to enjoy the drive
We each have a different definition of "enjoy" when it comes to driving.
Good point. Sorta. I see your point. But sidewall is going to flex as bad as w/e, with max psi, or lower psi.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
SailDesign

Quote:
Good point. Sorta. I see your point. But sidewall is going to flex as bad as w/e, with max psi, or lower psi.
Sidewall flex def drops with higher pressure. Take it to extremes, and look at a nearly-flat tire compared to a well-pumped tire. I realise this isn't totally fair, and that the difference between a HIGH-pressure tire and a normal-pessure tire is significantly less than the example.
But...
Old 01-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #12
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
Sidewall flex def drops with higher pressure. Take it to extremes, and look at a nearly-flat tire compared to a well-pumped tire. I realise this isn't totally fair, and that the difference between a HIGH-pressure tire and a normal-pessure tire is significantly less than the example.
But...
Nah, I'm agreeing with you. I was just saying it'll still flex. But you're right, i'll bow out more with less air.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
ddongbap
Banned

Solution: Lower pro!
Old 01-24-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
SailDesign

Quote:
Solution: Lower pro!
Heh! Yeah - who needs side-walls anyway, right?!
Old 01-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #15
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
so which do you use - the tires recommended max air pressure or the vehicles? i've been looking into some dunlop sp20fe's which are built specifically for low rolling resistance and have a max cold air pressure of 51. they are made for applications such as the civic hybrid and prius(vehicles of similar weight as our yaris). if i need to go in between, i may as well just buy some cheaper all-seasons.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:07 AM   #16
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
I actually use the allowed variance in recommended tire pressures to alter the handling characteristics of the car. Try varying front and rear pressures by a difference of 5-10psi.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:51 AM   #17
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Cars going to handle slightly better with extreme cornering since less sidewall flex. But your stopping distance is going to be decreased since your more liekly to end up in a skid situation in any panic stop since you have less tire to road surface area. Which is why you get a slight bump in fuel economy since your reducing your roling ristance. Also your car becomes really fidgety. Slight bump steer occus at high speeds and ride is ridged. And potholes hurt.

Its not really worth it. Especially with gas prices down. I would try it for a week you probally will switch back to your regular air pressure. Just dont exceed 40psi or you will start to go past the load bearing range.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #18
ddongbap
Banned

You're going to have two different PSI readings. One for warm tires, and another for cold tires. Unless you're using nitrogen, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Cars going to handle slightly better with extreme cornering since less sidewall flex. But your stopping distance is going to be decreased since your more liekly to end up in a skid situation in any panic stop since you have less tire to road surface area. Which is why you get a slight bump in fuel economy since your reducing your roling ristance. Also your car becomes really fidgety. Slight bump steer occus at high speeds and ride is ridged. And potholes hurt.

Its not really worth it. Especially with gas prices down. I would try it for a week you probally will switch back to your regular air pressure. Just dont exceed 40psi or you will start to go past the load bearing range.
You mean INCREASE.