Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #37
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
I understand the whole buy a totaled car thing...I have considered buying a 2zz...

But space and headache wise, just buy a 4age. We can go back and forth all day on why one is better than the other. But in my eyes, if I was to go with a new motor after my Warranty is fried. Just for the sake of not having to cut much if anything, and having to fabricate some mirracle of a project. I would got with a 4age, you lose only 20hp, and you could gain that with bolt-ons.

Not to mention cost wise when it comes to motor:

4aGE:(Leven)Silvertop for 2,229 6spd tranny
4aGE: Blacktop for 700 5spd tranny http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...QQcmdZViewItem

2zz-GE:Motor and Tranny $3000
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...QQcmdZViewItem

These are just Ebay prices, Im sure you can find cheaper elseware, but this is what I found within 2 minutes, easily.

Last edited by Sabretooth; 08-03-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #38
RShatchback

Drives: 07 yaris liftback
I'd get an ITb kit for shitsngiggles if it was like 1500 - once you pass 2000, its moving into turbo kit territory...why get the regular value meal when I can supersize for .35 more? at that point (Or used to be able to supersize, before all those w/ no will power and cant say no took my larger fries and drink away..)
Old 08-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #39
Turbo&Auto

Drives: 07
Excellent analogy!! I like that :)
Turbo&Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #40
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoriKnights View Post
i take it you have never done touge..?
What does touge have to do with anything?

Quote:
turbo is kick ass! dont get me wrong
but the engine being so weak in tourqe
i just think there would be too much lag
and not like you can get this big ass boom out of a little engine with a little turbo.. unless internaly built to take that abuse.. but lets face it.. not too many people are gona do that..

its all preference..
Lag is going to be all about the size of the turbo you're using. You'd have to build the crap out of the 1NZ-FE to be able to run more than 7 psi on a regular basis.

Don't want to deal with lag? Buy a supercharger. Greddy and Blitz both have chargers for the 1NZ-FE as dose Power Enterprises.

BTW, in regards to the 4AGE: In many places, it's illegal to put an older engine in a newer car (e.g. the engine must be the same age or newer than the vehicle it's going into or you can't register it). Probably not a problem in places w/o emissions testing, though.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:53 PM   #41
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
can anyone say large volume NST velocity stacks???

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:16 PM   #42
WRBlue

Drives: Yaris 3 Door, 04 WRX, 69 Lotus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutzoids View Post
attached is the estimate for the ITB's for the Yaris. E-mail us if you have any other questions.
$1800 is a decent price for just the hardware. Could be done cheaper, but not too much. Fab your own manifold (50-400, depending on the amount of DIY), slap on some DCOE throttle bodies (600-800), Velocity stacks/intake box (25-2500), and a Fuel Rail (50). I personally would have more fun building it all and going with a full stand alone

Quote:
what does the ITB sound like?
Usually they sound super wicked awesome. Especially with velocity stacks. With a nice intake box and filter, they won't sound too different from a CAI.
WRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #43
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
yea i am waiting for the turbo.

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:38 PM   #44
DoriKnights

Drives: Rps13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
What does touge have to do with anything?

Lag is going to be all about the size of the turbo you're using. You'd have to build the crap out of the 1NZ-FE to be able to run more than 7 psi on a regular basis.

Don't want to deal with lag? Buy a supercharger. Greddy and Blitz both have chargers for the 1NZ-FE as dose Power Enterprises.

BTW, in regards to the 4AGE: In many places, it's illegal to put an older engine in a newer car (e.g. the engine must be the same age or newer than the vehicle it's going into or you can't register it). Probably not a problem in places w/o emissions testing, though.

you still have to build the internals for some GOOD HP on the 1n.. defeats the purpose on a "Turbo Kit".. and might as well go full sand alone...
im more comparing stock engine, not touching the head nor the bottom end.. just moding around it.. ... all in all if you where to fully build a 1n.. then T is the way to go for hp.. you boost.. pffft whatever and make 200+ hp..

as for the s/c . id rather boost off exhaust mani then put stress on the crank.. go turbo..+ i feel s/c are limited to boost

and the 4ag thing... man ..how will you place the motor.. they sit tottaly backwards..
DoriKnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:36 PM   #45
DoriKnights

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
4AGEs do not all sit "backwards" The AW11 MR2 4AG sits just like any other FWD setup. Here is one of mine...
i think it does sit backwards dude...
the intake manifold is towards the firewall.. and the intake mani for the yeris is facing the radiator.....

it can be done.. just a lot of fab
Old 08-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #46
DoriKnights

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
4AGEs do not all sit "backwards" The AW11 MR2 4AG sits just like any other FWD setup. Here is one of mine...

(*(*(*yaris engine bay*)*)*)*)

(*(*(*(**20v 4ag fwd engine bay)*)*)*)*)*)*)
Old 08-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #47
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Backwards or not -- it shouldn't really matter as long as it fits.

In the Honda world, people swap in the K-series motors into Civics/Inegras, which are "backwards."
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #48
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
also you have to realize that the Levin motor has more junk in front than back...lol, in short, less headers and more intake... makes sense to just make it fit
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:09 AM   #49
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
what about swapping in a turbo starlet motor like ive seen in a couple of xa's???

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #50
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I thought this was a thread about ITB's. Then I found myself wading through engine swap posts.... again. Meanwhile, legit questions about the ITB setup weren't attended to.

I'm interested in an ITB setup, and I'd like to follow Danstoy's progress and see what comes of it. Maybe a dedicated engine-swap area/thread would serve us better?

1. How is management achieved when it's well known that the Yaris ECU is resistant and pesky?
2. I know Coi, and I know he ran a carbon fiber hood company into the ground. Is there reasonable assurance of any product quality and/or customer service from Danstoy?
3. Whoever posted about the Scion market not being interested was correct. However, I'm not sure the xA/xB market (tC excluded) is the same as our Yaris market. There seems to be more interest in aggressive aftermarket performance here.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:05 PM   #51
mandriu
11b1p

Drives: yaris s
I like the way it looks, but am worried about filtration.
mandriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #52
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
you mean, like there isn't any? lol

guess we'll see what they have in mind...
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:29 PM   #53
lostmind

Drives: 06 STi, 07 rav4, 07 yaris
Man, I google the ITB's for a couple hours and still don't fully understand what they allow you to do. I didn't see any setups with turbo's although people in this thread said they'll work together... I didn't find anything on how the tuning would work with these... Basically, I suck and dunno why this product excites people except for the fact that it looks crazy cool....

This is basically an intake upgrade that on it's own may net a couple HP? But since the sensor is missing the ecu will be pissed, throw a CEL and all that, so you have to add the engine management to the setup right? And that management allows you to do what exactly? Increase timing? Air/fuel ratio? Run higher octane fuel? How does this really make more power on a little engine like ours?

I'm a computer guy... I kinda understand how an engine works... but honestly I don't fully understand all of it. This product doesn't seem all that great to me except for the fact that some people are claiming that this package could net 25-30whp which to me is EXACTLY what the yaris needs...

Which is why it interests me greatly, but I can't seem to find much info on it! Can anyone explain the pro's and cons of this product? Would be seriously appreciated. I've been patiently waiting for more power products to come out and if this is really all it's cracked up to be then I may be all over it...
lostmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:29 PM   #54
WRBlue

Drives: Yaris 3 Door, 04 WRX, 69 Lotus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Backwards or not -- it shouldn't really matter as long as it fits.

In the Honda world, people swap in the K-series motors into Civics/Inegras, which are "backwards."
Thats not backwards at all... Do you expect to use the OEM/1z exhaust with the new engine??? Thats an easy swap.

Now this is what I thought you meant:
DSM:

Evo 4+:

Both are 4G63's but they mount on different sides of the bay.

I quoted this particular post because of the word backwards and honda... D and B series spin backwards from every other manufacturer, yet the K (and S2K F series) spin correctly, so really swapping a K into a B/D/H chassis is REALLY swapping a backwards engine

Quote:
I like the way it looks, but am worried about filtration.
Thats why you use air boxes:

Slap an intake tube and filter at the end and there you go.

Quote:
Man, I google the ITB's for a couple hours and still don't fully understand what they allow you to do. I didn't see any setups with turbo's although people in this thread said they'll work together... I didn't find anything on how the tuning would work with these... Basically, I suck and dunno why this product excites people except for the fact that it looks crazy cool....

This is basically an intake upgrade that on it's own may net a couple HP? But since the sensor is missing the ecu will be pissed, throw a CEL and all that, so you have to add the engine management to the setup right? And that management allows you to do what exactly? Increase timing? Air/fuel ratio? Run higher octane fuel? How does this really make more power on a little engine like ours?

I'm a computer guy... I kinda understand how an engine works... but honestly I don't fully understand all of it. This product doesn't seem all that great to me except for the fact that some people are claiming that this package could net 25-30whp which to me is EXACTLY what the yaris needs...

Which is why it interests me greatly, but I can't seem to find much info on it! Can anyone explain the pro's and cons of this product? Would be seriously appreciated. I've been patiently waiting for more power products to come out and if this is really all it's cracked up to be then I may be all over it...
The biggest bonuses to ITB's in their selves are better throttle response.
The power comes from a couple places - 1: new intake manifold, and 2: increased throttle body area.
The biggest problems are - 1: Linkage, and 2: throttle position sensors.
Linkage because instead of opening 1 throttle plate, your opening 4 - but Italians (Weber) took care of that back in the 30s-40s, they are complex and can have alot of problems if not installed right or adjusted though. Throttle Position sensor because the ECU needs it obviously, but it only wants the OEM TPS. Generic ITBs use generic (usually GM) TPS's that won;t connect to the harness or communicate right.
WRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote