Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #1
Perkele
Kuljettaja

Drives: 2013 Yaris LE
My oil was overfilled. How much is too much?

I checked my dipstick after an oil change on my Yaris and the oil is slightly overfilled (or so I think its slightly). I'm wondering if I have to get the excess oil sucked out or just keep driving. So far I have driven my Yaris 300 Ks like this without any noticeable issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_E4894.jpg (116.6 KB, 103 views)
Perkele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:20 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
It appears to me it’s Wayover full. I would bring the car back where the work was done and show them the dipstick. Tell them you want it fixed.

My 09 Yaris blue and oil pressure sensor from an overfill. When the oil light came on I stopped and had the car flat headed to Toyota. $300. I don’t like to think what would have happened if my wife was driving.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:44 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
I'm pretty sure the oil in the 1NZ engine is contained in a sump separate from the crankshaft counterweights, so it's unlikely to foam the oil, which is often the problem with oil overfills. Foamy oil provides pretty poor lubrication. As much as that looks really overfilled, it is likely only a liter or so over. From the bottom mark to full mark is probably not much more than a liter itself. I would still take it back and have them drain a bit out. You may as well since you already paid it have it done.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:42 PM   #4
Perkele
Kuljettaja

Drives: 2013 Yaris LE
Will definitely bring it back to them to drain out the excess oil. This will be the last time I bring my Yaris into the Toyota dealer for an oil change. I will change oil myself and as inconvenient as it may be, it's worth it because if they overfill by such a significant amount I have trouble trusting them to do it again. Such a careless, sloppy mistake.
Perkele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Yeah, get that taken care of. I write the oil capacity on the engine cover so I don't have to guess.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:55 AM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkele View Post
Will definitely bring it back to them to drain out the excess oil. This will be the last time I bring my Yaris into the Toyota dealer for an oil change. I will change oil myself and as inconvenient as it may be, it's worth it because if they overfill by such a significant amount I have trouble trusting them to do it again. Such a careless, sloppy mistake.
Yes, I get your frustration. Certainly, you'd expect to have a Toyota dealership do the job correctly. Years ago I owned a 5.0 Mustang LX. The car had a double hump oil pan with two drains. It wasn't a dealer oil change but they only drained one side of the pan and then refilled with the factory spec amount. I was significantly overfilled as a result. Obviously, they just dumped the oil in and didn't even bother checking the dipstick, dipsticks!

Doing your own oil changes is the best way to ensure that you get the job done properly. Plus, it's rewarding and saves a lot of money, especially since you can grab a high quality, inexpensive jug of synthetic oil and a filter from any Walmart.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 07-21-2020, 12:09 PM   #7
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Yes, I get your frustration. Certainly, you'd expect to have a Toyota dealership do the job correctly. Years ago I owned a 5.0 Mustang LX. The car had a double hump oil pan with two drains. It wasn't a dealer oil change but they only drained one side of the pan and then refilled with the factory spec amount. I was significantly overfilled as a result. Obviously, they just dumped the oil in and didn't even bother checking the dipstick, dipsticks!

Doing your own oil changes is the best way to ensure that you get the job done properly. Plus, it's rewarding and saves a lot of money, especially since you can grab a high quality, inexpensive jug of synthetic oil and a filter from any Walmart.
Wow, 2 drains? I have never owned a car like that or even considered that possibility. It just goes to show you though that places that specialize in something as trivial as an oil change can screw it up.

I guess the benefit is that if they screw it up and it causes a catastrophic failure they can be held liable (though probably difficult to prove). If I screw up it's all on me, but I'll still keep changing my own oil because I'm cheap. Lol.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:36 PM   #8
ex-x-fire

The OP might want to invest in an oil extractor and do the oil changes themselves. The price for them lately is very reasonable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51cJJfpS7sL._SL1096_.jpg (37.4 KB, 69 views)
Old 07-21-2020, 10:30 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Wow, 2 drains? I have never owned a car like that or even considered that possibility. It just goes to show you though that places that specialize in something as trivial as an oil change can screw it up.

I guess the benefit is that if they screw it up and it causes a catastrophic failure they can be held liable (though probably difficult to prove). If I screw up it's all on me, but I'll still keep changing my own oil because I'm cheap. Lol.
The 5.0 had to sit low in the chassis and the oil pan straddled the front cross member, thus the need for a double hump pan. I think I had that oil change done at Canadian Tire. It was likely farmed out to a 17 yr old. Lol. I think that's about the time I started doing my own changes. Haha. As for being cheap...I am too. lol. You get better oil, better filter, it costs about 1/2 the price and you know it's done right when you DIY.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:36 PM   #10
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
The OP might want to invest in an oil extractor and do the oil changes themselves. The price for them lately is very reasonable.
Nice! A great investment. I bought one of the cheap eBay 12v extractors for about $12.00. Super convenient and connects to the battery with battery clamps. It has a very thin draw line, so can get to the bottom of the oil sump and trans fluid sump. Love it!

Old 07-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #11
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
The oil extractors sucks. Not only literally.
Losening one bolt is faster, gets more old oil out, gets out any debris sitting in the bottom of the oil pan. You have to remove oil filter anyway.
It is a bit dirty job, yes. But nothing that a piece of plastic underneath the car (plus gloves) cannot solve.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:48 PM   #12
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by komichal View Post
The oil extractors sucks. Not only literally.
Losening one bolt is faster, gets more old oil out, gets out any debris sitting in the bottom of the oil pan. You have to remove oil filter anyway.
It is a bit dirty job, yes. But nothing that a piece of plastic underneath the car (plus gloves) cannot solve.
Agree that slipping under the car and draining out a bit is the best approach. My extractor does come in very handy though for quick fluid removal without the need to jack and jackstand the car. I would never do an oil change this way as as you mention, the filter has to be changed.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:07 PM   #13
ex-x-fire

Nothing wrong with extracting oil and what is this debris inside of engines? I use dino oil and never have any issues.
If you want to get more oil when draining through the plug, you have to raise the the left side of the car, you might get an extra cup or two of oil out.