Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-26-2019, 09:39 PM   #37
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Kaotic Lazagna - Do you live far from work, or do go on roadtrips? Or does your job involve a lot of driving? I did some math, and 28,000 divided by 365 days (presuming you drive everyday) works out to an average of about 77 miles per day. That's a lot of miles! I couldn't drive that much, even if I tried.

My work commute now is 50 miles each way, 5 days a week (sometimes 6 days). On the weekends, I'll put 20 miles minimum for errands only.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:36 PM   #38
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Kaotic Lazagna - Whoa, that's a long commute! That definitely adds up - (100 x 5) + 20 = 520 x 52 weeks = 27,040 (and that's not including an additional 100 miles for the weeks you work six days). Yep, I can definitely see how you can easily put on 28,000 miles or more a year! I actually wouldn't mind living far from work, because the property taxes in Columbus and the surrounding suburbs are extremely high. Once you get outside the city, property taxes are much, much lower. However, we get a lot of snow and ice here in the winter. Driving in the dark, with snow or freezing rain is not something I'd be brave enough to deal with.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #39
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Kaotic Lazagna - Whoa, that's a long commute! That definitely adds up - (100 x 5) + 20 = 520 x 52 weeks = 27,040 (and that's not including an additional 100 miles for the weeks you work six days). Yep, I can definitely see how you can easily put on 28,000 miles or more a year! I actually wouldn't mind living far from work, because the property taxes in Columbus and the surrounding suburbs are extremely high. Once you get outside the city, property taxes are much, much lower. However, we get a lot of snow and ice here in the winter. Driving in the dark, with snow or freezing rain is not something I'd be brave enough to deal with.
Yeah, housing is just way more affordable outside of the Bay Area here in Cali. If I had to deal with snow though, I probably wouldn't drive that far as the risks outweighs the cost of living.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:34 PM   #40
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Kaotic Lazagna - Housing in the bay area is famous for being insanely high. I don't know how even the rich can afford to live there!
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:05 AM   #41
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Kaotic Lazagna - Housing in the bay area is famous for being insanely high. I don't know how even the rich can afford to live there!
Beats me, that's why I moved out. I think you have to make $30/hour to just be able to RENT a 2-bedroom apartment.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:00 AM   #42
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
...is...that...a...racing seat for an outdoor dining table?
Yeah, you don't want to fall out during those outdoor drinking sessions ;)

Actually it's my old driver's side seat, it's all tattered and stained, swapped it with the passenger seat, and leaving it out in anticipation of taking it to be reupholstered... or maybe simply replaced with a proper Recaro item

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:13 PM   #43
MaryWenzelp
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris
I don't have the opportunity to show my garage right now because there are photos only outside. After buying a house, I photographed it from the outside and didn't take photos from the inside. When we bought the house, we had only one car, but later we borrowed a car for my wife. There is only room for one in our tiny garage, so we ordered a canopy on the driveway. The company https://carportaustralia.com.au/ made us a wide canopy so that there was enough space to park the car on the side and drive another car out of the garage. The canopy fits well with the facade of the building and looks stylish, in my opinion.

Last edited by MaryWenzelp; 02-04-2022 at 07:19 AM.
MaryWenzelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 02:37 PM   #44
"A"
Get rollin'

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
My garage.. without cars.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:35 PM   #45
"A"
Get rollin'

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Cars stay out of the garage:
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:34 AM   #46
JustineFerguson

Drives: BMW
Wow, a very nice garage, and a roomy one too, great choice. And my garage can barely fit my pickup truck. I'm planning to expand it, but getting permission from the city council is almost impossible. And besides, I recently decided to install a new garage door, and something went wrong. The new door jammed, and I had to call professionals from https://advantagegd.com/ to help me fix the problem. They came quickly, did a tedious job, and gave me a discount as a new customer. But still, all these delays cost me a pretty penny. Therefore, I will have to wait with the garage extension.

Last edited by JustineFerguson; 07-29-2022 at 02:01 PM.
JustineFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 12:27 PM   #47
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
not sure how much the last one qualifys as a "garage", as its basicly a MASSIVE shelving unit using oversized commercial shelving, both front and rear with each shelf rated at a 8000lbs per pair IE each double shelf a car is on is capable of 16000..yup overkill, its skinned in shop steel on 3 sides and a single angle roofline, 60ft long 16ft deep 15-18ft tall holding 10 cars total and storage above all the top ones

my lil 20x20 i built a LONG time ago from mostly used materials for less than 1k will be getting a side blown out seen turning it into 28x20

sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 02:44 PM   #48
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
^ WTF!
What kind of obsession are we looking at here?
No wonder you're apparently undaunted by any task. It does however appear that maybe you're afraid to actually complete something.
Old 07-27-2022, 04:11 PM   #49
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
^ WTF!
What kind of obsession are we looking at here?
No wonder you're apparently undaunted by any task. It does however appear that maybe you're afraid to actually complete something.
LOL well when life throws you epic earth shattering curve balls some things get mothballed for long periods

"most" of the bikes are good to go and or are finished..or ever evolving projects like my 83 xl600r, last 2 big steps on it will be a full dissasembly and re-paint and to lace me up a new 18inch rear

the shelf is old pics, the audis are gone, the celica and alfa alfetta next to it are both in perfect working order, and TBH theres nothing i want to do to the alfetta, so it is done, the celica will eventualy get new seat skins and paint but its low priotity

as far as my lloyd in the shop goes..well...thats a project thats snowballed and evolved over the years..and is smaller than the yaris and lighter
1800lbs and can park on a 4x8 sheet of plywood..the "new" alfa 3.7 mill going in is around 400hp..the "body" is heavily hand modified sitting on whats left of an 87 alfa milano platinum chassis that was shortened 28 inches and then cut down...WAY DOWN. after some life changes and storage time i found some chassis flex i didnt like so im slowly caging it....she gets all my "extra" time when i can afford to spare it...

i do have ALOT of projects, but..most of em run and drive so i can enjoy em "if" i have time...times been epicly thin

since mom passed last year things have been completely changed after taking care of her for 33 years......

in all fairness the "lloyd" could fill a forum with pages of pics..its an undertaking of epic levels the initial project got scrapped back down to just the body shell when an alfa fell in my lap as a doner, and being a car that well..almost doesnt exist i have to find or make things fit..so...hood from a 54 chevy cut n butchered to fit, headlight buckets from a xj6, tail light lenses from a 60s tbird inner panel, milano chassis alfa race engine, alfa transaxle, jdm van seats, 54 ford speedo, hand fabbed console, 58 ford dash chunks, 8 inches of hand fabbed wide body, hand fabbed rolled pans, 58 ford grill, neon shifter, howe and afco pedal assy, tilton masters, yaris heater/ac, ferarri 358? exhaust tips and muffler box, bear claw latches, 70s caddy power door locks, 74 xj6 inner door handles...and miles of welding and hand fab work
Old 07-27-2022, 04:33 PM   #50
sh0rtlife

words best to describe it

..20lbs of shit in a 5lb bag

and yeah its a managery or parts, skimming a few key pics from the 5000pic pile...smaller than an original mini cooper
1800lbs with a mocked up 12gal fuel, 2 gal water, dead battery IE current wet weight minus glass and insulation

height 52 inches
length 129inches
wheelbase 78 inch
width at widest point 61.5inches
had it on my race scales and it holds a 51/59 weight balance

1958 lloyd alexander TS kombi..originaly 1200lbs 2cyl 4 stroke air cooled FWD, company folded in 61...and not many made it state side...and not many exist around the world in general

fitting it to the 87 alfa milano chassis was a challange to say the least..28 inches of length had to go away from the milano..but this also left seating issues, cooling issues and well body mating issues...i have had ONLY my hands in this

my current hang up with the 400hp stroker alfa buso v6 is the want to paint match some key pieces of it to the final paint for the body at that point the engine will go back in and continue on other stuff..problem is sorting out the exact metal flake to put on a silver base under a magenta candy is an ART of trial and error

Old 05-01-2023, 10:26 AM   #51
antiquantum

Drives: A7
Checking out other people's garages is a fantastic way to get ideas and see what works for different layouts and needs.
antiquantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 11:00 AM   #52
lordcaliente6

Drives: Avensis
I realize this thread is old, but I just wanted to congratulate you on your new home and awesome garage! Having a new space to work with and make your own is always exciting. Checking out other people's garages is a fantastic way to get ideas and see what works for different layouts and needs. I only recently consulted with Mortgage Broker in Wolverhampton to take a new home with a garage, so I have nothing to show you. However, thanks to your thread, I can take a few ideas to fix up my garage. Good luck with your garage setup, and enjoy your new space!

Last edited by lordcaliente6; 05-11-2023 at 09:23 AM.
lordcaliente6 is offline   Reply With Quote