Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Abk911

Drives: Yaris 2008
Yaris AIR BAG Passenger light - explanation needed

There is something that is confusing me in my wifes toyota yaris 2008 sedan. Usually only wife drives it.

the "passanger airbag" light section seems to have 4 lights: (not in the speedometer / fuel gauge panel) these lights are under the word "Passanger" written on the dashboard.

1) AIRBAG
2) OFF
3) ON
4) passanger seat belt (ignore this light as this is not an issue for my query)

When you start the car 'alone' the 3 lights come - airbag, on , off then the "ON" and "OFF" light dissapear, but the AIRBAG Light remains lit - always. Is it normal for the AIRBAG light to be always on. If its normal why is it usually lit, shldnt it go off?

Wife usually drives it and not sure if she noticed it before. I noticed it as i dont usually drive it and hence want to know if its normal.

Last edited by Abk911; 04-06-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Abk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The "airbag on" should only be lit if there is greater than 80 pounds of human or cargo on the passenger seat. The "airbag off" light illuminates if there is less than 80 pounds (I am not sure what the lower threshold is that turn it on) on the seat. The third light is the passenger seatbelt light. That one should only illuminate when weight is preset, but the seatbelt is not latched.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Abk911

i din understand the last part. For instance if i am alone in car - the light is still on - the light that says "airbag" - did not understand weight preset part? what does that mean.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Abk911

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The "airbag on" should only be lit if there is greater than 80 pounds of human or cargo on the passenger seat. The "airbag off" light illuminates if there is less than 80 pounds (I am not sure what the lower threshold is that turn it on) on the seat. The third light is the passenger seatbelt light. That one should only illuminate when weight is preset, but the seatbelt is not latched.
i have modeified my initial question to be more clear. I am not concerned about the passanger seat belt light. so i correted the error. excluding the passanger seat belt light there are 3 other lights:

1) airbag, 2) on and 3) off - for instance when passanger is sitting 2 lights are on : Airbag and On which makes it 'airbag on' etc. But the airbag light (Light number 1) is always on whether passanger is sitting or no. Thats the part thats confusing me - shld thatlight always stay on.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abk911 View Post
i have modeified my initial question to be more clear. I am not concerned about the passanger seat belt light. so i correted the error. excluding the passanger seat belt light there are 3 other lights:

1) airbag, 2) on and 3) off - for instance when passanger is sitting 2 lights are on : Airbag and On which makes it 'airbag on' etc. But the airbag light (Light number 1) is always on whether passanger is sitting or no. Thats the part thats confusing me - shld thatlight always stay on.
OK - That is actually different for the sedan versus liftback. The liftback only has three lights "airbag on", "airbag off", and the seatbelt light. I am familiar with the liftback's behavior for the SRS lights, but not with the sedan's.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:56 AM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
OK - That is actually different for the sedan versus liftback. The liftback only has three lights "airbag on", "airbag off", and the seatbelt light. I am familiar with the liftback's behavior for the SRS lights, but not with the sedan's.
The above (and post #2) are helpful for others besides the OP. Thanks to your succinct explanation I now know with certainty that the aforementioned airbag lights in my Yaris are working properly.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Abk911

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
The above (and post #2) are helpful for others besides the OP. Thanks to your succinct explanation I now know with certainty that the aforementioned airbag lights in my Yaris are working properly.

Trying to still find an answer to the yaris sedan... Ay 2008 sedan owners who could check their car and revert.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
talhahs

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2010 SD AT
Same question for me guys...My Yaris has no light in that area [Passenger Airbags] except passenger seatbelt..is that normal behaviour?
talhahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I think the light is just to tell you that your airbag is on and activated the only time the light will go out is if you have an actual airbag light on your dash indicating a fault in the airbag system at which point you should see the airbag light on go off on your indicator on your console. When your passenger sides on the car the seat the additional light will come on to indicate that his airbag is activated as well.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
I think the light is just to tell you that your airbag is on and activated the only time the light will go out is if you have an actual airbag light on your dash indicating a fault in the airbag system at which point you should see the airbag light on go off on your indicator on your console. When your passenger sides on the car the seat the additional light will come on to indicate that his airbag is activated as well.
The passenger light also acts as the error light for the occupant classification ECU, so it has quite a few modes of behavior. The OP is just asking someone with a sedan to describe how they see it operate on a normal day.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
That is the way my 2007 works.

All three light. Then the Off and On lights both turn Off. Airbag stays On.

If I have someone in the passenger seat. The On light then lights and the seat belt light on the Airbag Panel also flashes if the passenger has not buckled their seat belt.

I have not tested with a light load like a child but my thoughts are. The Off light would then turn On and the passenger airbag is Off. So a child is not hit by an airbag if triggered.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote