Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-08-2019, 08:43 PM   #37
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KALISPEL II View Post
I finally took my car in today for some protective & preventative mods, plus the one playful mod that I wanted to try. I ended up doing more than I originally planned, since I plan to keep this car for some time, & wanted to get it protected from the harsh Southern Arizona environment & such as much as possible. Only the release of an authentic Toyota TNGA Yaris hatchback in the U.S. will tempt me away from this girl.

(1) Tinted FULL front inside windshield with 3M Crystalline grade 70% tint. This stuff blocks the incoming windshield heat & UV to such a degree that my automatic climate control system has the fan blowing on low settings at 110+ degree temperatures outside. It is barely darker than clear & outside visibility is unchanged.

(2) Had a 3M clear bra put on headlights to protect them from ever hazing/pitting/scratching or otherwise not looking clear & new. I had this on my 2015 Yaris, & was very happy with the performance of it. It has a 10 year warranty to not discolor or otherwise degrade in any noticeable way.

(3) Had the "full frontal" Suntek Ultra Paint Protection UV/Scratch/Chip film package applied, which covers the full hood, side mirrors, & front bumper painted areas. It also has a 10 year warranty to not discolor or otherwise degrade in any noticeable way. It really is invisible unless you are actively looking for it on the car.

(4) Decided to try the surgical front 3M vinyl wrap experiment that I mentioned in other posts, to break up the long horizontal front dark-gray grill/housing area of the SE/XSE sedan - & the results if you get in real close in-person, actually look like a factory feature of the front grill. I was going to go with white, but decided to try a sporty 'SE red' to match the rear SE badging color, just for the fun of it. I may switch to white later on down the road to give it a try. I'm sure white will give it a more conservative/traditional pulled-together front fascia look & vibe. It's also easy enough to remove if I ever want to get back to the normal factory look.

NOTE: The side & rear windows were already tinted by dealership with Suntek CXP tint, so I am sticking with that.

Anyway, here is the first quickie 'rough' pic of my new Corolla SE 6-Spd Manual Sedan below. The car hasn't been washed since I purchased it, & has also gone through a day or so of some rain. I still haven't received my new license yet, so I don't have that or the powder-white matte frame securely installed yet back there. I plan to do my first hand wash/detail/wax either next weekend or weekend after that.

This sedan really does look a lot better in-person than in cellphone pics.

dayum she looks BIG in that picture!
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:54 PM   #38
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Alright, I got a question. I am very, very seriously considering buying a new 6-speed Corolla sometime in the next 12 months, but possibly by the end of this year. Haven't decided if I want the sedan or the hatchback, though. The thing is, I don't know how to drive stick. I plan to buy the car for no other reason than to learn to drive a manual. I have the cash, so why not. Also I want a slightly bigger car. My parents have always owned a manual car, so I grew up watching them drive stick. But I learned to drive on the automatic minivan, and never really tried to learn to drive stick. Lately, it's just been bugging me that I never learned.

So, my question is, do you feel the 2020 Corolla would be easy for a beginner? Would the iMT mode make this car easier to learn on versus a typical manual car? My mom offered to test drive the Corolla for me and teach me how to drive it. So, no worries, I won't be on entirely on my own. But I still want and need a "beginner friendly" car. Also, I'm holding onto the Yaris. That car will never be traded in or sold. The Corolla will be a second fun car. Well, if you want to call a Corolla fun.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:40 PM   #39
KALISPEL II

Drives: '22 Mazda CX-30 CE AWD 6-AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Alright, I got a question. I am very, very seriously considering buying a new 6-speed Corolla sometime in the next 12 months, but possibly by the end of this year. Haven't decided if I want the sedan or the hatchback, though. The thing is, I don't know how to drive stick. I plan to buy the car for no other reason than to learn to drive a manual. I have the cash, so why not. Also I want a slightly bigger car. My parents have always owned a manual car, so I grew up watching them drive stick. But I learned to drive on the automatic minivan, and never really tried to learn to drive stick. Lately, it's just been bugging me that I never learned.

So, my question is, do you feel the 2020 Corolla would be easy for a beginner? Would the iMT mode make this car easier to learn on versus a typical manual car? My mom offered to test drive the Corolla for me and teach me how to drive it. So, no worries, I won't be on entirely on my own. But I still want and need a "beginner friendly" car. Also, I'm holding onto the Yaris. That car will never be traded in or sold. The Corolla will be a second fun car. Well, if you want to call a Corolla fun.
Well, comparing the 5-spd manual Yaris SE & 6-spd manual Corolla SE, I would say that the Corolla is a bit more refined, less prone to stalling from a dead stop due to user error, & a bit more forgiving in general, in terms of clutch/gas-pedal dynamics. I loved shifting/driving both cars (for different reasons), but the Yaris manual is a bit more "hardcore" & unforgiving in general from a dead stop (but becomes second nature with use). The iMT in the Corolla will help also if you want to use it, but the annoying thing about that system is that you have to turn it on every time you start your car, because for some reason Toyota decided that the vehicle's computer should not remember that it was on the previous driving session.

Last edited by KALISPEL II; 09-08-2019 at 11:11 PM.
KALISPEL II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:45 PM   #40
KALISPEL II

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
dayum she looks BIG in that picture!
Yeah, I would say that the new 2020 TNGA Corolla has gotten a bit bigger feeling/looking that the previous-gen Corolla. It is less of a compact car now & more of a mid-size car. I would say that it is about the same size as my 2000 Accord EX sedan was, though probably not as long from a hood & trunk length perspective. Totally different driving experience from my Yaris, which had a fun, lightweight go-cart feel to it (at least to me). I like both the Yaris & the Corolla for different reasons. Both are great cars IMO, just different. I would have LOVED to have purchased a new, authentic 2020 TNGA Yaris SE+ hatch - but the U.S./NA market was screwed again in that regard.

Last edited by KALISPEL II; 09-08-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:03 PM   #41
Hamster

Thanks Kalispel! The fact that the Corolla is less prone to stalling is really, really important to me. That would lessen the fear I have of stalling in the middle of a busy intersection. Of course, I will practice, practice, practice, practice in an empty parking lot before I go on the road with traffic. I live 1/2 block from a shopping center, so luckily I have a big parking lot nearby to practice in. The existence of the iMT is the main thing that made me want to attempt a manual. I've read that the new manual Corolla is more forgiving of beginner's errors, and I'm glad you confirmed that. That makes me feel confident I'll be making the right choice once I get around to purchasing the car.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #42
stykerdk
Yaris Hybrid Limited 2015

Drives: yaris Hybrid limited 2015
The major difference between hatchback and sedan is that the sedan has 2,5 inch longer wheelbase.
That makes a big difference in backseat legroom, and i would any day choose the sedan by that reason.
But we dont get the sedan here in denmark, we can choose between hatchback or Touring sports.
So it must be the Touring sports if i want the longer wheelbase.
Or I can import a Sedan from germany, but i depends on how much the high danish registration tax becomes.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:24 PM   #43
Hamster

stykerdk - I watched a bunch of YouTube review videos on both the sedan and the hatchback, and a lot of the reviews pointed out the limited legroom for back seat passengers in the hatchback. This is unlikely to be an issue for me, because I have backseat passengers, like, never. In my ten years I've had my Yaris, I've never once had anyone sit in the back. I'm kinda moving towards the Corolla hatchback, because it's got a rear wiper blade. I live in Ohio where it snows a lot in the winter, and that rear wiper blade on my Yaris does so much for safety. I can instantly clear snow off the rear window, which of course allows for better visibility. I know, kind of an oddball reason to choose the hatchback. Both the hatchback and the sedan have their pluses and minuses. I've got several more months to decide between one or the other.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #44
KALISPEL II

I feel taller than normal standing next to my new Corolla. The Yaris really did stand a lot taller in comparison (with a higher seating position as well), & I had to stretch my 6ft1in self to really clean/wax the top of that car properly. Standing next to the Corolla reminds me of my old Honda Prelude from a shorter vehicle height perspective. I guess it will take a little getting used to again.

Last edited by KALISPEL II; 09-10-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:35 PM   #45
KALISPEL II

https://www.bellroadtoyota.com/vehic...KTUD35FA029712

My 2015 Yaris SE for sale at dealership. Poor girl needs a good home.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:59 PM   #46
Hamster

Any reason you couldn't keep her? That's pretty low milage. Was it lack of garage space, or did you need the trade-in money for down payment? I can't imagine ever getting rid of my Yaris!
Old 09-11-2019, 10:47 PM   #47
KALISPEL II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Any reason you couldn't keep her? That's pretty low milage. Was it lack of garage space, or did you need the trade-in money for down payment? I can't imagine ever getting rid of my Yaris!
To be honest, I hadn't planned to buy the new Corolla that day, because I didn't expect them to come down to the max purchase price I was willing to pay, while asking for max excellent condition KBB trade value on the Yaris at the same time. But, the new car market sucks this year for sales, & they really wanted to move the manual Corolla SE that had been sitting there ignored for a bit over 4 months (they even had to put a brand new OEM battery in it ). They tried to play some sneaky numbers games at first (like all dealerships do, surprise, surprise), but I just stuck to my guns & told them I would have to wait another year if I couldn't hit the numbers I gave them. So, I ended up with a surprise new car that day. I could pay the car off now & be done with it, but I can make a lot more profit flipping stocks for short-term capital gains with that money & pay the small 2.9% APR interest on car loan while doing it, so I'm going that route.

I do kind of miss the Yaris though. She had a fun, lightweight driving quality to her that isn't captured in the same fashion by a heavier almost-mid-sized car. I really like both cars, but they are different in what they offer. I would have rather purchased a new 2020 TNGA Yaris hatch, but Toyota isn't selling it in the U.S./NA market in lieu of offering the rebadged Mazda2 hatch here instead, so I went with the next best thing (to me).
Old 09-12-2019, 12:26 AM   #48
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
only $10k i should buy it!

carfax shows accident reported?
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #49
KALISPEL II

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
only $10k i should buy it!

carfax shows accident reported?

A year and a half or so ago, some stupid chick talking on her cellphone rear-ended my little Yaris at low speeds because she wasn't paying attention (she slammed on her brakes too late, making it a low-speed collision at least). The only damage was a scratched bumper cover & scuffs on the reverse-light housing attached to the lower rear bumper. Of course, the dumb c*** didn't have up-to-date insurance either, so I had to go through my insurance to get the bumper-cover & reverse-light housing replaced & pay the $500 deductible. My insurance could never collect from the deadbeat loser, so they gave up & wrote it off. Thus, I was out $500 for the repair. Fun times. On the bright side, that gen Yaris is so uncommon that only OEM replacement parts were available for it - so no aftermarket bumper cover, etc.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #50
KALISPEL II

My license plate finally arrived the other day & I installed it this morning (in my usual super-secured, vibration-free OCD way), along with the slim matte-white license frame carried over from my Super White Yaris. I opted for just a regular ARIZONA plate this time around, instead of vanity plate (my Yaris had a 'VITZ RS' vanity plate). Interestingly enough the random plate ID seems to jive with me anyway, as CRL = Corolla, 83 = year I graduated high-school (yes, I'm old), & 65 = my birthdate year. Should be an easy plate to remember.

While I was at it, I removed the chrome 'COROLLA' badge from rear trunk to clean things up a bit. Chrome on white is impossible to read anyway, & just makes everything look more busy back there. Also the badge is so long compared to the trunk space there, that Toyota had to bend it around the curve of the trunk lid. It just didn't look good there at all (IMO). Anyway here are some pics of the rear-end (still unwashed since I purchased it. )

Old 09-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #51
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
I removed the chrome 'COROLLA' badge from rear trunk to clean things up a bit.
I'd have done the same. The rear end of the 2020 SE is actually quite handsome.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:10 PM   #52
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Funny coincidences on the plate!!

I'm curious what your OCD certified, vibration free install method is?

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:05 PM   #53
KALISPEL II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Funny coincidences on the plate!!

I'm curious what your OCD certified, vibration free install method is?
I felt padded bottom, back teeth/retainers of frame to ensure that it never makes metal-to-paint contact with car finish, and also have license installed with decently thick small rubber washers behind license (at upper screw holes) to keep plate/frame off car finish up top as well. I have narrow, outdoor-grade 3M double-sided adhesive mounting tape on inside of frame on all four sides to keep plate 100% secure/padded within the frame. Finally, I have outdoor grade adhesive velcro attached to both bottom area of plate backside and car to keep plate 100% secure and vibration free on bottom as well. Even aggressively shutting the trunk doesn't jar/move the license/frame one bit, and the license/frame metal never makes direct contact with my car finish. It was a bitch getting the frame back off my Yaris when I traded her in. It took some work to get that sucker off.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #54
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
I felt padded bottom, back teeth/retainers of frame to ensure that it never makes metal-to-paint contact with car finish, and also have license installed with decently thick small rubber washers behind license (at upper screw holes) to keep plate/frame off car finish up top as well. I have narrow, outdoor-grade 3M double-sided adhesive mounting tape on inside of frame on all four sides to keep plate 100% secure/padded within the frame. Finally, I have outdoor grade adhesive velcro attached to both bottom area of plate backside and car to keep plate 100% secure and vibration free on bottom as well. Even aggressively shutting the trunk doesn't jar/move the license/frame one bit, and the license/frame metal never makes direct contact with my car finish. It was a bitch getting the frame back off my Yaris when I traded her in. It took some work to get that sucker off.
Ha! After hearing the install process, I can totally understand why!

Pulled up behind one of these on the road today. Was surprised how much the rear reminded me of the newer Dodge Darts. Someone on Instagram responded to my comment about that saying it reminded them of the Kia Forte.

For me, your SE trim, with that diffuser on the rear bumper, is the only way to go, though I do still prefer the hatch.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote