Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-11-2022, 09:20 PM   #1
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
looking for someone with FACTORY AC to run a quick test

as the topic states i need someone with factory "working" AC to run a quick test for me

with the car COLD(parked over night preferably) start the car and fire up the ac to max air, and listen for the engine fan to kick on or pop the hood n watch..i need to know if it kicks on with the AC or not...i dont care about it kicking on with engine temp..specificaly condensor temp/ac on

i know for FACT mine does not and ive noted the condensor runs hot, so im trying to figure out if this is a toyota oversight or something i missed in the conversion
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:31 PM   #2
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
This thread details the behaviour of a third gen system

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=62735

Even though you've got a second gen, I would have expected similar if not the same operating behaviour given the similarities.

In addition, the repair manual for a gen 2 says the following under the troubleshooting section for the cooling system

----------------------

CAUTION:
Be sure that the ignition is off if you work near the
electric cooling fans or radiator grille. With the ignition
on the electric cooling fans may automatically start to
run if the engine coolant temperature is high and/or the
air conditioning is on.
1. INSPECT COOLING FAN OPERATION AT LOW
TEMPERATURES (Below 83°C (181°F))
(a) Turn the ignition switch on (IG) and air conditioning
switch off.
(b) Check that the cooling fan stops.
If not, check the cooling fan relay and engine
coolant temperature sensor, and check whether
there is disconnection or an open circuit between
them.
(c) Disconnect the engine coolant temperature sensor
connector.
(d) Check that the cooling fan rotates.
If not, check the fuses, cooling fan relay, ECM and
cooling fan, and check for a short circuit between
the cooing fan relay and the engine coolant
temperature sensor.
(e) Reconnect the engine coolant temperature sensor
connector.

----------------------

The AC amplifier receives pressure and temp signals from the various sensors and then signals the ECM via the can bus to turn the fan on when certain conditions are met.

Do you have access to techstream and/or have you run a full diagnostic on the car since doing the AC swap? Can bus systems in modern cars can be a total prick when doing conversions. If you find there is an issue (not saying there is), it could be something like the original ECM is not expecting to receive any signals from an AC amplifier and/or perhaps doesn't even recognise that it's there.

Hopefully someone with a gen 2 can answer your original question though regarding operating conditions.
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:24 AM   #3
sh0rtlife

i do not have access, tho im always up for new tools, what would you reccomend?

i suspect that its possibly a combination of a possible missing relay? as well as the fact the ecu isnt even looking for an ac signal but i have no way to verify

hoping someone with a factory rig can verify the function of the fan to atleast get me a baseline

im not sold my 07 functions the same way as a gen3, since cooling fan is either on or off..theres no "low speed"
Old 06-12-2022, 04:28 AM   #4
stidnam

There are options online to buy cables and procure the software. However, not legit. Alternatively you could find a friend who works for Toyota.

A factory gen 2 has the same fan setup as a gen 3 - it's got 2 relays and a resistor for running a High/Low setup. When the ECU triggers the first relay through the FAN pin, power is sent to a second 5 pin relay that, by default, routes the earth for the the fan via a resistor. This is Low mode. When the ECU triggers the FAN2 pin, it triggers the second relay to bypass the resistor.

Check if you have a FAN No 1 relay and FAN No 2 relay. I'd be surprised if you only have a single speed FAN. However, in saying that, I was surprised to hear they even made a 2nd gen Yaris without AC :|
Old 06-12-2022, 01:29 PM   #5
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by stidnam View Post
There are options online to buy cables and procure the software. However, not legit. Alternatively you could find a friend who works for Toyota.

A factory gen 2 has the same fan setup as a gen 3 - it's got 2 relays and a resistor for running a High/Low setup. When the ECU triggers the first relay through the FAN pin, power is sent to a second 5 pin relay that, by default, routes the earth for the the fan via a resistor. This is Low mode. When the ECU triggers the FAN2 pin, it triggers the second relay to bypass the resistor.

Check if you have a FAN No 1 relay and FAN No 2 relay. I'd be surprised if you only have a single speed FAN. However, in saying that, I was surprised to hear they even made a 2nd gen Yaris without AC :|
first off its a west coast canadian car, but to be fair almost every 05-07 hatch ive seen has been without ac save for the one i shredded for the parts and ive been checked every one thats hit the local 3 yards for the past 5 years, of course this ones an oddball having power mirrors and locks but NOTHING else yet, its got the power package harness in the dash soooooo everything can be added as i find it

ill have to pay closer attention to the fan but ive never once seen it do a low mode ive only ever seen it full speed and nothing else, and heck it could just be a relay missing from the factory specificaly cause its a semi strip down for all i know.....but...weve had the car since new sooo i know its not been mucked with by anyone
Old 06-12-2022, 05:28 PM   #6
stidnam

My surprise was being an Australian and hearing that Toyota were still making cars in the US and Canada without AC in 2007 lol.

Pop the fuse cover off the fuse box in the bay and check for FAN no 1 and FAN no 2 relays :). Or trace the wiring from the fan back to the chassis rails to see if there's a fat resistor module bolted close by.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:39 PM   #7
sh0rtlife

not even a hole or a marking for fan1...only a relay in place for fan2, and i "think" ive seen that fat resistor on an 09, but unless its hidden up in front of the radiator behind the bumper i dont have it on the 07

honestly i was supprised when i found out the car doesnt have ABS.....which makes me happy, but still shocking that an 07 doesnt just come with abs, i thought that was madatory after the mid 90s
Old 06-13-2022, 01:15 AM   #8
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
I have factory AC and though it is a bit stubborn recently, it never started up the fan in engine bay when I turn on AC with cold engine after the car has been sitting in the parking lot over night. Only later, when the radiator becomes hot, the fan kicks in.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:53 AM   #9
stidnam

sh0rtlife, if you don't have two relays or a resistor module, then good chance Toyota installed a more simplified system. If I recall correctly, the resistor should be bolted near the front of the LHS chassis rail, close to the fan.

If you don't have the relay and resistor, Toyota may have also installed a different ECU with only 1 FAN trigger. You could subscribe to the Toyota site that allows you access to the repair manual and wiring diagrams. That would confirm for sure how Toyota wired the cooling system.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:05 PM   #10
sh0rtlife

ill have another look in a few days as im pulling the bumper to make a new HID harness for the spec-d lights so i can have a good solid look..maybe its on the outside of the rail?

what site has the diagrams cause thats what i was really looking for before i started all this, ive built many a harness from scratch so reading diagrams is cake
Old 06-13-2022, 01:52 PM   #11
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
2007, Sedan, Factory Air, 2 speed cooling fan.
Wiring diagram shows a few different setups.
Mine is with defrost switch to enable it to run in the defrost setting, no PTC heater.
Sitting overnight. Cooling and blower fan full on. Radiator cooling fan is running until AC is turned off.

The Fan #1 relay is part of the Integration relay assembly. In the Engine Room fuse and relay box.
Right side of the engine compartment. Fan #2 Relay is also a separate relay in the same location.
If you look down just right of the air cleaner. The is a 1.3 Ohm large white in my case resistor.
I have not seen an active site recently with the service literature for a 2007 lately

Last edited by BLH; 06-13-2022 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Add information
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:42 PM   #12
stidnam

I've never subscribed to TIS being in Australia, but wouldn't that have everything you need?

https://techinfo.toyota.com/
Old 06-14-2022, 06:43 PM   #13
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLH View Post
2007, Sedan, Factory Air, 2 speed cooling fan.
Wiring diagram shows a few different setups.
Mine is with defrost switch to enable it to run in the defrost setting, no PTC heater.
Sitting overnight. Cooling and blower fan full on. Radiator cooling fan is running until AC is turned off.

The Fan #1 relay is part of the Integration relay assembly. In the Engine Room fuse and relay box.
Right side of the engine compartment. Fan #2 Relay is also a separate relay in the same location.
If you look down just right of the air cleaner. The is a 1.3 Ohm large white in my case resistor.
I have not seen an active site recently with the service literature for a 2007 lately
thanks for that, it atleast helps point me in a direction

looks like the car was born without the resistor as i know the location you speak of and ive got cold air in there and see no resistor

also if the ac is on its not kicking the fan on so ive got something i need to figure out be it telling the ECU that its now got ac or something else

however this car DOES have the PTC heater so maybe that has something to do with it too?

wondering if i need to get the combi relay, and the resistor and whatever wiring goes with it and "add" it to the system...i think theres a couple sedans at the wreckers right now sooo i may be able to source my bits
Old 06-16-2022, 11:55 AM   #14
sh0rtlife

i did some digging yesterday and came across an empty plug in the location of where the resistor should be, mostly round plug with 1 white 1 blue wire ...is that the resistor wiring?, it was taped to the harness from the factory so im guessing thats what its for, i dont have a resistor in hand just yet to verify
Old 06-16-2022, 06:04 PM   #15
BLH

My diagram shows the connector is an oblong round. With a Blue and White with Black stripe.
Do you also have the position for the Fan2 relay?

If yours runs with a 1 speed fast only. I would suspect the wiring is different. Fan 2 relay is a NO and NC relay and at low speed the NC contacts pass the fan voltage through the resistor for low speed and when the NO contacts close. The resistor is bypassed. Fan runs full speed.
Old 06-17-2022, 12:27 AM   #16
sh0rtlife

ive not pulled the relay but according to the box the relay is in place, i doubt they changed out the relay at the factory ..they just didnt install the resistor since..well...youve basicly verifyed i have the wiring for teh resistor to be added...

ill track down a resistor add it and see if everything works as intended...if it doesnt then ill have to figure out "why"....at that point who knows, but right now im fairly hopefull that just adding the resitor will solve it all since 1: the wiring is there 2: the resistor is there 3: the wiring wouldnt be there if they didnt intend it to be a "dealer addon", and this batch of yaris that were coming into canada were all coming in "base" with power wiring so the dealers could add options to suit the customers
Old 06-17-2022, 12:57 PM   #17
BLH

I looked at the wiring diagram.
If the Fan 2 relay is there but not the resistor.
When the Fan 1 relay turns on the fan will not run with the missing resistor, but will run full speed when Fan 2 relay turns on.
On another look. The fan is running slow speed when activated by the AC being on.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:46 PM   #18
sh0rtlife

sounds like i just need the resistor, picked one up today on a yard run, as well as a fog/head/turn stalk, i also made note of the factory fog wiring in the fuse box as well as i found a small "sensor" that looks like it may have been touching the condensor..it was down in the wiring with the left hand headlight end of things not sure if it was important or if i have the plug for it but i grabbed it

its all the lil things that bite you in a conversion LOL