Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-26-2022, 06:52 PM   #1
MyCarWasFree

Drives: 2010 Yaris 4 door hatch
Car won’t roll backwards

So I was driving my 2010 Yaris 1.5 with the automatic home the other night it started to shift kind of hard and then lost high gear all together. It would just get to third and got to shift and would just rap out like it was in neutral. I got it home as it was only a few hundred yards down the road. I changed the transmission filter a fluid as a last ditch effort to maybe save the transmission. Now when I put the car in neutral with the engine off it will only roll forwards. When I try to push it backwards it acts like something is binding. Any thoughts pointers or ideas guys? Otherwise I guess I’m looking for either an engine/trans swap or a just the same transmission that came with the 1.5.
MyCarWasFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 11:30 PM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
it sounds like a band let go...ot possibly one of the solinoids is jambed up

best i can do is offer the number of a shop i get my rebuilt transmissions from...good prices even better quality with outstanding customer service
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 12:43 AM   #3
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Replacing the tranny wouldn't be a bad idea since the car is mechanically bound up, and it sounds like you're convinced it's mechanical and within the tranny
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 09:53 AM   #4
MyCarWasFree

Yea I’m convince it’s in the trans. But didn’t know if anyone else had experienced this issues and maybe had a quick fix for it. I found a used trans with 90k on it for $350 I’ll probably pick it up and swap it in until I can afford to do a 2zr swap. Thanks guys.
Old 12-27-2022, 01:24 PM   #5
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCarWasFree View Post
Yea I’m convince it’s in the trans. But didn’t know if anyone else had experienced this issues and maybe had a quick fix for it. I found a used trans with 90k on it for $350 I’ll probably pick it up and swap it in until I can afford to do a 2zr swap. Thanks guys.
if it doesnt come with the torque converter dont buy it!!!!! i cant stress this enough

also get yourself an inline filter as a safty measure for the "new" trans
Old 12-27-2022, 05:21 PM   #6
MyCarWasFree

It has the torque converter with it. And I know it’s not new. It’s just gotta get me by for a little while so I can source the parts for what I really want. Got a write up on the in-line filter? I would have no idea where to install it.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:48 PM   #7
sh0rtlife

nothing really to write up, you just dissconnect one of the lines from the trans to the cooler built into the bottom of the radiator and add a filter to the line...looks and connects the same as a fuel filter would
Old 12-30-2022, 08:05 AM   #8
MyCarWasFree

Well that plan fell through that transmission is junk too. Anyone have a lead on a manual transmission? I’d rather have that than the auto I just got get all the pieces together to do the swap might see if I can just do the 2zr engine and trans together if I can fine one.
Old 12-30-2022, 02:55 PM   #9
sh0rtlife

cant you use the manual from a scion as well and something about it having the better gearing?
Old 01-02-2023, 02:03 PM   #10
MyCarWasFree

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
cant you use the manual from a scion as well and something about it having the better gearing?
That’s good advice. I’m trying to figure out what would be the best swap for it. I’ve read through a lot of the posts for the engine swap but can’t really find anything about using a donor transmission as well. It seems like they all use the stock transmission that was in the car.
Old 01-15-2023, 03:18 AM   #11
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCarWasFree View Post
That’s good advice. I’m trying to figure out what would be the best swap for it. I’ve read through a lot of the posts for the engine swap but can’t really find anything about using a donor transmission as well. It seems like they all use the stock transmission that was in the car.
Just about any of the toyota fwd manual gearboxes will fit, c50,c51,c52,c54,c56,c154 and the list goes on.

Really you need to find a manual yaris donor car tho as you need clutch pedal, clutch cylinders, the gear box itself, drive shafts, ecu, clutch lines, mounting brackets and hardware and all the incabin shifter assembly and bushings. Joey has a vid on youtube where he does the swap was the first yari modding video i watched hahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHn2KlWIG4o&t

Last edited by Compeer; 01-15-2023 at 03:35 AM.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 01:58 PM   #12
sh0rtlife

ok i get the ecu, lines, mountings pedals and shifter but certainly the rest can be pulled from most any FWD as well, actualy i thought the pedals could be pulled from a few things?

i want to slowly grab up the part and have them for a future swap...but ive yet to see a complete list of what can be grabbed from other cars....