Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
mesci
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3 2005
2nd, 4th & Reverse Gear Not Engaging

Hi All,

Please be gentle, first time poster and not a car expert.

I have a Toyota Yaris 1.3 2005 Colour Collection which has just done 110,500 miles.

Over Christmas I started having problems with getting my reverse gear to engage, it felt as though something was "blocking" it from going into gear. It would do this 2 or 3 times and then would go in. Over a course of 3-4 days (whilst visiting relatives) this extended to 2nd & 4th gear, until the day we got home and I could not engage 2nd, 4th or reverse gear at any time - no matter how many times I tried.

Anyway I took it to my local garage, who informed me in non-technical terms "darlin, if you treat your boyfriend as rough as you treat your car, he's an unlucky fellow", and that I had apparently "bent the brackets".

They fixed it for me, and for 2 weeks I have had no problems, I've been being VERY gentle with the gearbox, and have even driven down to Calais & back. Until yesterday when the reverse,2nd and 4th stopped engaging again whilst in an Ikea car park.

I enlisted the help of the AA, and he took a look over the car (not inside the gearbox) but could not see anything wrong with it, but also could not get it working, so towed me home.

I'm taking it back into the garage tomorrow, but wondered if anyone had any ideas on what is causing this:

a) which brackets could be being bent
b) is this a fixable or replaceable problem, or do I need a new gearbox?

Thanks for any advice/help in advance.
mesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 09:28 AM   #2
fialax

Drives: yaris 1.0
Any progress

I know its a long time ago but did you manage to fix this issue? what was the culprit?
fialax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 09:51 AM   #3
fialax

Drives: yaris 1.0
I dont want to create new thread but anyone experience this issue:
From time to time 2nd and 4th gear wont engage looks like something is in the way but as soon as you drive over speed bump while trying to shift 4th gear it pops in no problem and then you are able to shift as normal. usualy left turn corner while shifting cause this issue and speed ramp fix it. There is no excesive noise or any other symptoms so far.
fialax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 07:03 AM   #4
ManxYaris

Drives: 2001 Toyota Yaris 998cc
2001 Yaris not engaging in 2nd or reverse

Hi all

I have a 2001 Yaris, 998cc model. Had clutch replacement kit put on car last June 2022 as gears kept slipping. After the garage fitted the new clutch I had an issue with gears 2 days later where it wouldnt engage in 2nd or reverse gears, took it back to the garage who said the cables went bent and that they had straightened them, had no issues until 3 days ago where i lost 2nd 4th and reverse gears. My son looked at car and the gear cables are overstretched.

What could now be the issue, do i need new gear cables, or could it bei need a new gearbox? Garages these days cost a bomb to even just look to see what the issue is.
ManxYaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engaging, gearbox, loss of gears, transmission