Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
kaymm

Drives: Yaris Liftback 3dr (Silver)
LED Flasher relay

Hi

I picked up one of these flasher relays for my 07 Yaris HB. I plan to replace the back turn signal lights with LED. Do I have to replace change every single turn signal light to LED or can I just do the back first? What happens when you use LED + incandescent bulbs?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/57...her_Relay.html
kaymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That relay says that it is rated for 150W, so it would not be an issue to run it with all of your incandescent bulbs or with a mix of LEDs and incandescents.

The reason why you can't run LEDs with the OEM on is that it relies on the current draw of the bulbs for the timing circuit. If you change that total current draw it goes into a hyper-flash mode, which is supposed to let you know that you have a dead bulb.

The aftermarket LED rated ones simply eliminate that feature.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
kaymm

I haven't looked yet but do you know where the stock flasher relay is? Should be a simple swap right?

I tried putting LED's before and they did blink fast, so I got some resistors but somehow that didn't work. I probably didn't tap them into the right wires. Then I read a simpler method is to replace the relay. So I'm hoping this does it. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymm View Post
I haven't looked yet but do you know where the stock flasher relay is? Should be a simple swap right?

I tried putting LED's before and they did blink fast, so I got some resistors but somehow that didn't work. I probably didn't tap them into the right wires. Then I read a simpler method is to replace the relay. So I'm hoping this does it. Thanks!
The stock one is behind the little storage cup on the lower left. It is easy to swap.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #5
kaymm

It works! No hyper/fast blinking. Much easier than using resistors.

The one on the left was purchased from eBay. It was super hard to remove the stock one for the first time. Had to yank it pretty hard. The LED flasher relay had these long black tabs on the sides that had to be bent inorder to go in properly. No biggie. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0814.JPG (47.9 KB, 280 views)
Old 06-24-2022, 03:37 AM   #6
irakli_86

Drives: Yaris MK2
Is there no genuine Toyota relay part number for this purpose instead of the aftermarket one ?
irakli_86 is offline   Reply With Quote