Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-16-2023, 07:01 PM   #19
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
ill see what i can do as i need to do an inspection on it...however initial eyeballing tells me that the axle/swing arm is a totaly different animal and the mounting points on the yaris are much further away from the axle as well as the "tie bar" between the 2 sides is about twice the size

that doesnt mean tho that any of the rest of the stuff isnt possibly the same

honestly tho on the "hub" unit i would just walk into any orielys/ autozone(i hate autozone) and ask them to order one in if they dont have one on hand..that way you could 100% verify the mountings

i will get what measurements i can tho

im actualy useing alot of you and compeers data to try and put something together for the gen1 xb that will be coming home soon..as i KNOW discs in the rear would be really nice on it..but also "bigger"...so if i can help figure stuff out in advance i can then be ahead of the game for a swap on it since it indeed uses all yaris bits under it..i mean its a yaris with a toaster body LOL
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 10:17 AM   #20
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
ill see what i can do as i need to do an inspection on it...however initial eyeballing tells me that the axle/swing arm is a totaly different animal and the mounting points on the yaris are much further away from the axle as well as the "tie bar" between the 2 sides is about twice the size

that doesnt mean tho that any of the rest of the stuff isnt possibly the same

honestly tho on the "hub" unit i would just walk into any orielys/ autozone(i hate autozone) and ask them to order one in if they dont have one on hand..that way you could 100% verify the mountings

i will get what measurements i can tho

im actualy useing alot of you and compeers data to try and put something together for the gen1 xb that will be coming home soon..as i KNOW discs in the rear would be really nice on it..but also "bigger"...so if i can help figure stuff out in advance i can then be ahead of the game for a swap on it since it indeed uses all yaris bits under it..i mean its a yaris with a toaster body LOL
There are a few xB2 in the nearest Pick and Pull/LKQ near me, but still about 45 min drive, which has prevented me from going, especially now that it's still cold weather. Maybe in the summer time I'll see if I can snag the left and right steering knuckles and rear hubs out of one. I'd press out the front hubs out of the bearings, and take measurements to see if they'd fit in the front Yaris' wheel bearings and drive spline.

The Yaris SE's front rotors are 275mm O.D., which are what I have, the xB2's front rotors are also 275mm O.D.

Yaris SE front rotors:

Rotor Center Hole ID (mm) 55
Rotor Height (mm) 46
Rotor Hub OD (mm) 141
Rotor ID (mm) 130
Rotor Minimum Thickness (mm) 19
Rotor OD (mm) 275
Rotor Surface Thickness (mm) 22

xB2 front rotors:

Rotor Center Hole ID (mm) 62
Rotor Height (mm) 46
Rotor Hub OD (mm) 155
Rotor ID (mm) 145
Rotor Minimum Thickness (mm) 22
Rotor OD (mm) 275
Rotor Surface Thickness (mm) 25

5X114.3 PCD here I come...
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 01:17 PM   #21
sh0rtlife

i havnt had time to dig into the rear more, but i have gotten another look at the beam..its much more "heavy duty" than the delicate looking one in the yaris..i cant remotely fathom that the whole beam could swap...tho only measurements will tell the tail.....

as for the slight rotor differances compare the rotors on the xb to the camry..as the xb gen2 from my understanding is closer to a camry than a yaris
Old 02-20-2023, 05:43 PM   #22
Neinris

Quote:
i havnt had time to dig into the rear more, but i have gotten another look at the beam..its much more "heavy duty" than the delicate looking one in the yaris..i cant remotely fathom that the whole beam could swap...tho only measurements will tell the tail.....

as for the slight rotor differances compare the rotors on the xb to the camry..as the xb gen2 from my understanding is closer to a camry than a yaris
The xB2 front rotors are the closest to the Yaris SE's front rotor stats, only difference is they're 3mm thicker, which is 1.5mm on each side of the brake pads.

There are so many Camry rotors, but here's the closest one:

Height (MM) 49.5
Nominal Thickness (MM) 28
Outside Diameter (MM) 275

These won't work on the Yaris, because of the height difference and are even more thicker.
All I need to know is if the xB2 wheel hub will work for the Yaris, and if the rear hub will bolt right on.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:34 AM   #23
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
all this for rims! good luck on the advnture lol. i vaguely remember that the xb2 rear hubs were a no go when i did research long long ago...and the rear brakes is a drum in disc setup, not the yaris's twisted caliper?
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 03:17 PM   #24
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
all this for rims! good luck on the advnture lol. i vaguely remember that the xb2 rear hubs were a no go when i did research long long ago...and the rear brakes is a drum in disc setup, not the yaris's twisted caliper?
Yup... Same thing I did for my 4th Gen Prelude S, I used the 5th Gen's rear spindle, rear hub, front bearings, and front hubs. And had to go with the VTech trim front calipers, since the 5th Gen's front rotors are bigger. I didn't have ABS, so I didn't have to swap out the knuckles all around. She looked so good in 5th Gen Prelude wheels. I couldn't find the S2000 wheels for sale at the time. I think I was the first to do it back in 1999, yeah I'm showing my age.

I think you need to look at your research again, the xB2 rear brakes are not disc/drum set up, they are just like the Yaris'. Looking at pics online, they look the same, the only difference is the caliper carriers are longer, because the xB2's rear rotors are 279mm vise the Yaris' are 259mm. And here are the dimensions for the xB2 and Yaris' rear rotors:

xB2 rear rotor stats:

Height (MM) 30.50
Nominal Thickness (MM) 10.00
Outside Diameter (MM) 279.00

Yaris' rear rotor stats:

Height (MM) 30.4
Nominal Thickness (MM) 9
Outside Diameter (MM) 259

If everything works, all I need to do is mill down the xB2's rotor to 259mm.

Here's a bonus pic, I tried the best I could with paint... The vertical and horizontal lines were center line references, and I lined them up, this is what I got.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xB Yaris rear hub.jpg (106.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-22-2023, 11:32 PM   #25
sh0rtlife

so i hit a yard today for some xb gen2 stuff and they had a yaris...sedan but whatever no good for me

i took off the rear hub then went and took the one off the xb, DIRECT SWAP, in fact i left the drum brake assy bolted up to the xb..so someones going to be SERIOUSLY confused

so for the 5lug disc rear swap you could use entirely gen2 xb rear stuff, from the splash shield out its all a direct fit to the yaris
ill see about posting some pic's...honestly i dont even think you will need to mill the rotors as theres a "slight" offset in the hub itself

for me however im dead set on 2 things disc brakes that fit my wheels..14s on 4x100..and im slowly solving it
Old 02-23-2023, 08:52 AM   #26
Neinris

Quote:
so i hit a yard today for some xb gen2 stuff and they had a yaris...sedan but whatever no good for me

i took off the rear hub then went and took the one off the xb, DIRECT SWAP, in fact i left the drum brake assy bolted up to the xb..so someones going to be SERIOUSLY confused

so for the 5lug disc rear swap you could use entirely gen2 xb rear stuff, from the splash shield out its all a direct fit to the yaris
ill see about posting some pic's...honestly i dont even think you will need to mill the rotors as theres a "slight" offset in the hub itself

for me however im dead set on 2 things disc brakes that fit my wheels..14s on 4x100..and im slowly solving it

That's funny you left the Yaris' hub on the 2nd GEN xB (I refer to them as xB2).

First and foremost, thank you for helping me with my research. That's great news! You've mentioned before that the xB2's axle frame is more robust than the Yaris', that's also great! May or may not need to have to get a rear sway bar.
When I said I'd mill the xB2 rotor, I mean I'd mill it from 279mm diameter down to 259mm diameter. And like I said before, I think this will still fit in the 14" wheels. The stock Yaris front rotors are 255mm, but the front calipers are bulkier, the rear calipers are much smaller.

I'm moving forward with my "Alternative Rear Disc Conversion" as a cheap alternative.
https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=63182
I might even produce some mounting plates if others are interested on doing the swap, for purchase of course.

If you have the time, would you please try to remove the front xB2 steering knuckle, and see if you could measure the outside diameter of the front wheel hub in the bearing, or measure the inside diameter of the bearing? I suspect that will also fit in the Yaris' front bearing, which is 40mm internal diameter.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:46 AM   #27
sh0rtlife

it litteraly started snowing while i was out at the wrecker yesterday, and my figures hurt like hell, after my last stop at another wrecker, it started really comming down, i attempted to shortcut and back road my way home as the freeway had multiple wrecks n such......in the end it took me 4.5 hours to go 18 miles.....

were kinda snowed in so ill pull pics from my phone of stuff but im not settin foot outside for a few days lol

the real catch on my disc swap is not just the 14s but trying to stay "close" in size on the rotors to whats on there stock, anything bigger up front isnt likely to clear as the wheels are light but a bit pudgy on the inside
Old 02-23-2023, 12:18 PM   #28
sh0rtlife

Old 02-23-2023, 02:29 PM   #29
Neinris

Quote:
it litteraly started snowing while i was out at the wrecker yesterday, and my figures hurt like hell, after my last stop at another wrecker, it started really comming down, i attempted to shortcut and back road my way home as the freeway had multiple wrecks n such......in the end it took me 4.5 hours to go 18 miles.....

were kinda snowed in so ill pull pics from my phone of stuff but im not settin foot outside for a few days lol

the real catch on my disc swap is not just the 14s but trying to stay "close" in size on the rotors to whats on there stock, anything bigger up front isnt likely to clear as the wheels are light but a bit pudgy on the inside
Understood man... I really appreciate what you did. We're mixing topics with my other thread, but it's ok, they're both mine!
The weather this Saturday will also suck where I am. But I still plan to go forth with my rear disc conversion. There's a bit of experimentation whether I should use the Corolla calipers or the Yaris calipers. Check the other thread for that info. If anything, I'll at least weld the brake hose brackets on Saturday and finish installing everything on Sunday, when the weather is a bit nicer anyway. Well, I have to finish on Sunday, because I don't have another car to get to work on Monday.
Today we're expected temps in the high of 80*F!!! I wished that were the case for Saturday.

What I've been trying to tell you is that the rear disc conversion WILL still fit in your 14" wheels. Your current front rotors sizes are 255mm (which you don't have plans on replacing), the rear disc are only slightly bigger, 259mm. The rear calipers are less bulky than the front rotors, so they will clear the 14" wheels. So you don't need to do any other modification, other than you'd probably need a proportioning valve installed if you don't have ABS.
Yes, the xB2 does have 279mm rear rotors, but if you use the Yaris rear calipers, they will bolt on the xB2's axle frame, difference is that the caliper carrier is shorter by 10mm I believe. So you can still use the xB2's rear axle frame for the rear disc conversion if you're saying that they will fit.
Here's an overlay of the Yaris rear caliper on top of the xB2 rear caliper. As you can see the mounting holes for the xB2's carrier is a bit farther out to accommodate for the 279mm rotors.
Now back to the original topic, the 5 lug conversion is not for you if you insist on staying with your 14" wheels. Even though I think that 15" wheels can still accommodate the 279mm diameter rotors in the rear, I'll still mill them down to 259mm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xB Yaris rear caliper.jpg (81.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 02-23-2023, 03:01 PM   #30
sh0rtlife

my issue is id like to initialy buy all the parts used to prove it fits...and lets face it calipers can be rebuilt for a coupld bucks....problem is....disc brake yaris do not exist in wreckers, in all honest yaris are rare as hens teeth to begin with
Old 02-23-2023, 04:40 PM   #31
Neinris

Quote:
my issue is id like to initialy buy all the parts used to prove it fits...and lets face it calipers can be rebuilt for a coupld bucks....problem is....disc brake yaris do not exist in wreckers, in all honest yaris are rare as hens teeth to begin with
I bought my parts from RockAuto.com The rotors are as cheap as $16.50 each!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=1896&jsn=866

It's also where I bought the parking brake cables.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=1696&jsn=969

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=1696&jsn=970

I'll do you a favor since you did me one, once I install the rear disc conversion, I'll see if I can find a 14" wheel, and see if it'd fit. And if I end up using the Corolla calipers with my disc conversion, I'll be selling the Yaris calipers I bought, I might even make the adaptor plates to go with them. That's only if I end up using the Corolla calipers.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:24 PM   #32
sh0rtlife

sounds good!
Old 02-23-2023, 10:25 PM   #33
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
I bought my parts from RockAuto.com The rotors are as cheap as $16.50 each!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=1896&jsn=866

It's also where I bought the parking brake cables.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=1696&jsn=969

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=1696&jsn=970

I'll do you a favor since you did me one, once I install the rear disc conversion, I'll see if I can find a 14" wheel, and see if it'd fit. And if I end up using the Corolla calipers with my disc conversion, I'll be selling the Yaris calipers I bought, I might even make the adaptor plates to go with them. That's only if I end up using the Corolla calipers.
haha hell yeah Shortlife gets to join the rear brake club too
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 01:11 AM   #34
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compeer View Post
haha hell yeah Shortlife gets to join the rear brake club too
fwiw i have a deal in place for a gen1 XB...due to snow ive been unable to pick it up
but knowing the XB1 is neerly identical to the gen2 yaris...that means everything i pickup information wise should directly swap over to it...so ill be joining times 2!...thats assuming i dont just swap the xb1 to 5lug xb2 parts
Old 02-24-2023, 07:15 AM   #35
Neinris

Quote:
fwiw i have a deal in place for a gen1 XB...due to snow ive been unable to pick it up
but knowing the XB1 is neerly identical to the gen2 yaris...that means everything i pickup information wise should directly swap over to it...so ill be joining times 2!...thats assuming i dont just swap the xb1 to 5lug xb2 parts
Are you going to do an axle swap for both or plate adaptor?
Old 02-24-2023, 07:19 AM   #36
Neinris

Quote:

These pics didn’t load for me yesterday, just now seeing them. Did actually bolt it on, is it resting on the center dowel?