Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-10-2023, 04:19 PM   #73
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
I just realized I could run just one long rubber hose per side to the rear calipers instead of having multiple couplings. I’ll buy the Corolla rear brake lines and see if they’re long enough.
Just go to a brake shop and have hardlines made at that point and move the tabs at the same time, you would need to make propper mounts to hold the hose correctly may as well just get little hardlines made and move it, but personally I just went back to stock holes. Need to put my tein flex z back on soon, I want some 5mm spacers.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:55 PM   #74
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compeer View Post
Just go to a brake shop and have hardlines made at that point and move the tabs at the same time, you would need to make propper mounts to hold the hose correctly may as well just get little hardlines made and move it, but personally I just went back to stock holes. Need to put my tein flex z back on soon, I want some 5mm spacers.
I actually have all the hardware I need to do the disc brake swap, minus the brackets for the hose lines. I wanted a different approach to reduce the coupling from hardline to rubber, to hard line again, then rubber to the caliper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1F26627A-C30C-4EE0-9005-95CC2A61EB62.jpeg (311.7 KB, 56 views)
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:06 PM   #75
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
ive got a shop local that i get custom braided lines from for CHEEP..so that would be my fix lol
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 11:39 AM   #76
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
ive got a shop local that i get custom braided lines from for CHEEP..so that would be my fix lol
My suggestion to you is to not go steel braided line in the rear, but the front, to soften the braking power in the rear since you’re hell bent on keeping your 14s.

Most likely, I’ll be installing my conversion next weekend. I think I know what I’m going to do with what I have.
Old 02-11-2023, 01:56 PM   #77
sh0rtlife

Quote:
My suggestion to you is to not go steel braided line in the rear, but the front, to soften the braking power in the rear since you’re hell bent on keeping your 14s.

Most likely, I’ll be installing my conversion next weekend. I think I know what I’m going to do with what I have.
when i flushed everything and put the drilled n slotted up front and new drums in the rear i put all braided lines on it because something was feeling "off"..turned out one of the lines was deteriorating on the inside..which is more common than you think....so ive allready got the braids

i think at this point im more curious as to how the hand brake cables and your adapter go together
Old 02-11-2023, 04:45 PM   #78
Neinris

Quote:
when i flushed everything and put the drilled n slotted up front and new drums in the rear i put all braided lines on it because something was feeling "off"..turned out one of the lines was deteriorating on the inside..which is more common than you think....so ive allready got the braids

i think at this point im more curious as to how the hand brake cables and your adapter go together
I hope this pic helps. I didn’t put the cable through the hole yet, because it’d be a bit of a challenge to remove. Now what is the concern again? Worried the cables will be too short? The mechanism pulls from the top, but it’s clocked closer to the parking brake cables. So I think they’d be just right.
Get the calipers meant for the Yaris, and the cable length will not be of any concern.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 931F09D2-E9AB-4CC6-8F61-EA0D47560F4A.jpeg (331.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 02-11-2023, 06:17 PM   #79
Compeer

Quote:
I actually have all the hardware I need to do the disc brake swap, minus the brackets for the hose lines. I wanted a different approach to reduce the coupling from hardline to rubber, to hard line again, then rubber to the caliper.
Hell yeah you have been shopping, this is going to be a sweet setup!
Old 02-11-2023, 08:24 PM   #80
Neinris

Quote:
Hell yeah you have been shopping, this is going to be a sweet setup!
Yeah little by little… I had to do my research first before I pulled the trigger. ��
You guys taught me something, to not use a long one piece hose, unless it’s braided. But I think I’ll just stick with what I already have.
The bracket relocation is easy. I think I know what to do now, and hope to install next weekend. I need to use the drill press at work. ��
Old 02-15-2023, 05:59 PM   #81
Neinris

Change of plan…

I went ahead and bought the Yaris calipers….

As I suspected, the caliper carrier’s bolt patterns are the same for the Corolla and Yaris. I went ahead and drilled the holes for the hub to clock the calipers at 3 and 9 o’clock. Don’t worry, if I reproduce them they won’t look like Swiss cheese…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EBD501F8-7280-4EE4-8488-6CB8C23EDCB2.jpeg (359.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpeg 58CE2C4D-50B8-43B7-8EF6-4FB73909871E.jpeg (254.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 02-15-2023, 08:40 PM   #82
Compeer

Quote:
I went ahead and bought the Yaris calipers….

As I suspected, the caliper carrier’s bolt patterns are the same for the Corolla and Yaris. I went ahead and drilled the holes for the hub to clock the calipers at 3 and 9 o’clock. Don’t worry, if I reproduce them they won’t look like Swiss cheese…
Yeah you can even bolt on twin pots from the BRZ levin, I was looking at some for sale. But my brakes are fucking fantastic now and i don't think I need it. Some people said the Bosch pads were not so great but these semi metalics are really nice feeling, Cofidence has gone up in the car again.

The new brakes went from under 200% to almost 300% braking by mass on the brake testing machine when I got the last warrant and the pads had not worn in yet.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:16 PM   #83
Neinris

Quote:
Yeah you can even bolt on twin pots from the BRZ levin, I was looking at some for sale. But my brakes are fucking fantastic now and i don't think I need it. Some people said the Bosch pads were not so great but these semi metalics are really nice feeling, Cofidence has gone up in the car again.

The new brakes went from under 200% to almost 300% braking by mass on the brake testing machine when I got the last warrant and the pads had not worn in yet.
I can't wait for my disc conversion to get installed this weekend. Although I don't have ABS, I know my braking confidence will also increase.

I'm adding another project, my pursuit of 5 X 114.3 PCD...
Old 02-15-2023, 11:40 PM   #84
sh0rtlife

good thinking on the dual clocking

brz twin pots on such a lil gokart would be down right insanity....you would have to be running atleast a 245 to be able to even use them!!!!
Old 02-16-2023, 09:02 AM   #85
Neinris

BRZ twin pots...

The twin pots caliper are for the front though right?

The BRZ's front rotors are 326mm in diamenter!!! But they're 5X100 PCD.

The 2nd GEN Scion xB's front rotors are only 275mm in diameter compare to the BRZ/FRS, and they're 5x114.3 PCD. I wonder how far the BRZ's front calipers will stick out when mounted on the Yaris' steering knuckles? I hope not too far out for 275mm rotors...

You'd definitely would need to get at least 16in wheels for them to fit.

I'll keep this in the back of my mind...
Old 02-16-2023, 12:57 PM   #86
sh0rtlife

its not about sticking out its about bolting them onto the correct mount to bring them down to the 275 rotor
Old 02-16-2023, 03:23 PM   #87
Neinris

Quote:
its not about sticking out its about bolting them onto the correct mount to bring them down to the 275 rotor
I'm getting my threads mixed up...

Well, that's what I kind of mean or need to know. How far will the caliper move out when it's mounted on a Yaris' steering knuckle? Will it be the same as the BRZ where you can house a 326mm rotor or will it be in like the Yaris SE/Corolla/xD? Or is there a different caliper carrier that it can be Frankenstein with and dial it for a 275mm rotor if you want to do a 5X114.3 PCD. Could I just make an adaptor plate and move out the xD calipers that I have to house 275mm rotors? But then the pads won't follow the same contour as the rotor. Would that really matter?

I've thought about using a 2nd GEN xBs steering knuckle, but looking at the holes, I don't think it'll mount to the Yaris' strut. You could probably use the xBs strut, but use the Yaris' top hat?

For the rear rotors, since it's solid, I could just mill down the xBs 279mm rotors down to 259mm, and still use the stock Yaris SE calipers. I don't think I can do that to the front rotors since they're finned. Or use the 279mm rotors, but will definitely need to install a proportioning valve, since the rear rotors are bigger.
Old 02-16-2023, 03:57 PM   #88
Neinris

Brackets made…

I made the brackets out of aluminum angle, I couldn’t find anything else that’s 1/16in thick. Well at least I know they won’t corrode, and they’re strong enough that I can’t fold them by hand. I cheaped out and made my own retaining clips too…
Once I position them on the axle frame, I’ll drill holes on the base and rivet them down. Yeah I know not welded, but it should still work.
I also made two extra ones with smaller hole, incase the hoses I’m relocating are differently designed than this hose. The hose in the pic is one that will connect to the caliper.
I don’t know why the first pic is upside down…
Old 02-16-2023, 11:28 PM   #89
Compeer

Quote:
I made the brackets out of aluminum angle, I couldn’t find anything else that’s 1/16in thick. Well at least I know they won’t corrode, and they’re strong enough that I can’t fold them by hand. I cheaped out and made my own retaining clips too…
Once I position them on the axle frame, I’ll drill holes on the base and rivet them down. Yeah I know not welded, but it should still work.
I also made two extra ones with smaller hole, incase the hoses I’m relocating are differently designed than this hose. The hose in the pic is one that will connect to the caliper.
I don’t know why the first pic is upside down…
The clips atleast need to be the original hardened spring steel, Alu cannot work as a spring.
Old 02-17-2023, 12:31 PM   #90
sh0rtlife

Quote:
The clips atleast need to be the original hardened spring steel, Alu cannot work as a spring.
exactly true, the aluminum is just going to let it go under pressure, or bend back n forth till it breaks off...it may not be "quick" but eventual inevitability

if you want "new" look for street rod hose mounts, if you want quick n dirty either cut some off a TRUCK/SUV...or even a car..tho on a car its hard to get enough materiel left to mount them

you can even look at clutch hose mounts, it only needs to fit the hose not the car, alot of the street rod ones are either studded for mounting or threaded for mounting so its easier to slap em in and be done

also aluminum on aluminum can and WILL corrode in fairly short order