Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-29-2022, 02:29 PM   #1
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
subtle rattle

i have a 2009, yaris with 284k miles. Recently noticed a subtle rattle/vibration noise that comes on after 30-40 mph and only under load, if i remove my foot off the pedal the noise goes away. It kinda sounds like a purring kitten but not load enough to hear if the radio is on. It appears to be coming from the tranny or cv axles area. it does not do it in idle or when the car is just coasting in neutral. Anybody heard this noise before or know what's about to go bad on the car?
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 04:32 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I'd start looking at the front wheel bearings. Does the "purring" change at all when curving to the left or right on the road?
Old 03-29-2022, 05:49 PM   #3
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Most likely a heat shield, they rust out around the bolt head. All you need to do is pull the bolt out an reinstall with a large washer. The first one that did it on my car was the one in the front of the tunnel.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:07 AM   #4
esse10

rattle sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
I'd start looking at the front wheel bearings. Does the "purring" change at all when curving to the left or right on the road?
No,not when turning left or right. like i said it does not do it when coasting. I believe that if it was the bearings it would do it when the wheels were turning and in neutral. it only purrs like that when under tranny load or accelerating and only around 40-60 mph.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:12 AM   #5
esse10

rattle sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
Most likely a heat shield, they rust out around the bolt head. All you need to do is pull the bolt out an reinstall with a large washer. The first one that did it on my car was the one in the front of the tunnel.
where exactly is this heat shield? you mean the muffler shield? but it only does it when under load or when pressing the gas pedal, it doesn't do it at random or when coasting in neutral. i'll crawl under there this weekend and see what i find loose or what?
Old 03-30-2022, 08:48 AM   #6
WeeYari

Good to see you amended thread topic to Subtle Rattle rather than Subtle Sound. A heat shield rattle could never be described as a kitten purring.
The first heat shield to let loose is often the one bolted to the exhaust manifold directly behind the engine. All others are visible from under the vehicle placed at strategic positions along the run of the exhaust.
Old 03-30-2022, 04:44 PM   #7
esse10

subtle rattle

Quote:
Good to see you amended thread topic to Subtle Rattle rather than Subtle Sound. A heat shield rattle could never be described as a kitten purring.
The first heat shield to let loose is often the one bolted to the exhaust manifold directly behind the engine. All others are visible from under the vehicle placed at strategic positions along the run of the exhaust.
I'll look to see if any shields are loose this weekend. i hope that's all it is and not something costly like the CV axle or bearing. What's the normal lifespan on these car's bearings or cv axles?
Old 04-06-2022, 01:34 AM   #8
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
My wheel bearings make noise but have zero play. I've been chasing down a purring noise, wobbling noise, and clattering noise. I'm just attributing this to old age and twice bent wheels that I've straightened twice with a large hammer. 345k miles. Original everything, except for sway bar, crash damage, and home rebuilt alternator
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:16 AM   #9
esse10

subtle rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndestructibleYaris View Post
My wheel bearings make noise but have zero play. I've been chasing down a purring noise, wobbling noise, and clattering noise. I'm just attributing this to old age and twice bent wheels that I've straightened twice with a large hammer. 345k miles. Original everything, except for sway bar, crash damage, and home rebuilt alternator
thanks for your imput. it seems to be getting a little louder now. i know that the front rotors need to be replaced but i don't think that's the problem cause when i let the car coast the noise stops. Like i said it only does it under load like when you're accelerating, if you release the gas pedal the noise goes away. it could be the CV axles or the clutch or the bearings IMO. i'll keep y'all posted
Old 04-21-2022, 09:43 PM   #10
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
if its accelerating under load, its a driveline issue, look at your cv joints and makes theres no grease splooging out everywhere, check your transmission fluid, could also be an internal issue with the tranny, if its an automatic, the torque converter could be having a shudder
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:17 PM   #11
esse10

noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
if its accelerating under load, its a driveline issue, look at your cv joints and makes theres no grease splooging out everywhere, check your transmission fluid, could also be an internal issue with the tranny, if its an automatic, the torque converter could be having a shudder
thanks for your input. the cv joints are solid and there is no grease or oil spills and make no noise when turning. i replaced the manual tranny oil last year and there are no signs or leaks. i know that the clutch shudders once in a while when taking off but it's had that for the last 5-7 yrs this new noise just recently started about a month ago. It kinda sounds like it's coming from the tranny gearbox area. Does the gearbox have a bearing?
Old 04-27-2022, 04:47 PM   #12
WeeYari

Since you've not stated that you've ruled them out, my money is still on bearings. Your milage is high enough for them to be starting to fail. CVs typically last much longer than bearings under normal circumstances.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:03 PM   #13
esse10

Noise

Quote:
Since you've not stated that you've ruled them out, my money is still on bearings. Your milage is high enough for them to be starting to fail. CVs typically last much longer than bearings under normal circumstances.
But if it was wheel bearings wouldn't it still make the noise when I lift my foot off the gas Pedal or coasting in Neutral ? It only does it when under load and after about 40-50 mph, if I release the gas Pedal the noise goes away.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:26 PM   #14
Gutling

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Not always, I have heard bearings just make noise under load. A simple check would be jack front of car up, both wheels off ground and put it in gear and let wheels spin. Then you can hold the strut and could easily feel a bad bearing.
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:15 PM   #15
esse10

subtle rattle

UPDATE; I went ahead and replace the front bearings. I damaged the Axles while trying to remove those out of the steering knuckle since rust and what not had them seized up pretty bad i had to bang on them with a 4 pound hammer, then they came loose. The car has 290k miles so it's time to replace them
CV axles anyhow. The original weird noise coming from the front end is still there when the car is under load and goes away when i release the gas pedal or coast in Neutral.................Now what guys? i'm at a lost. Could it be the tranny gearbox bearing or something? just this past December i replaced the tranny fluid for the firs time. One strange thing though the clutch shadder has gone away. It would sometimes at random the clutch would shadder while taking off in first gear. Ever since i replaced those parts i mention above the clutch hasn't shaddered once. Your imput would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:47 AM   #16
esse10

Mystery rattle noise update

The weird noise wind up being the Gearbox transmission like i suspected from the beginning. Well at least i got 300k miles out of the old one. Does anyone know if there's a recall on those gearbox bearings? i suspect it's the output shaft bearing.