Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-12-2022, 05:53 AM   #1
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
1nz-fe larger oil filter

Ryco Z158 fits on 1nz-fe and is same price as the standard z386 but has a taller can with a much larger internal filter cartidge. Went with castrol 5w30 full synthetic magnatec this time, black friday special!

Anyway thought I would list all the Ryco filters for the ncp90-ncp131 1nz-fe

Oil: Z158
In tank fuel filter assembly (not cheap): Z791
Air filter: A1559
Cabin Filter: RCA164p

Use Toyota, Ryco or Wix filters too guys for 14 years while I was in parts we cut open all the different brands oil filters and put them on display in our shop, because of this we sold a lot more Ryco and Wix filters. Fram filters for example had a cardboard capped filter canister inside instead of a steel one and a pressed bent sheet spring instead of a precision wound spring and were always rusty inside brand new, rust on the "filtered" side going into your bearings.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 08:01 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
My wife’s 2005 Camry is 18 years old and has 200,000 miles on it. Until recently I have done all the oil changes myself every 3 to 5000 miles. About half the time I used frame oil filters. A lot has been made about the cardboard end caps of the frame filters. ( this is the first time I’ve heard about rust on the expansion spring)

My 1974 Volkswagen beetle didn’t even HAVE an oil filter. There was a great big pile of gray muck under the oil strainer every time I clean it when I change the oil every 1500 miles. When I rebuild the engine at 130,000 miles the main bearings, camshaft bearings, and rod bearings had no detectable wear. I Did a valve job and replaced the pistons and cylinders. I rebuilt the engine again at 200,000 miles when I put it in a VW bus. The main bearings camshaft bearings and rod bearings again had no detectable wear but I renewed them anyway along with the Val job and pistons and cylinders.

In my experience there’s nothing wrong with the Fram filter.
Old 12-12-2022, 05:19 PM   #3
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
bronsin, i hate to tell you friend, but modern engines are not a 1974 vw bus, tolenerances and machined internal engine parts are far more tight and oil holes are very small, fram filters are probably going to be ok for most vehicles, on the off chance you get some rust or a piece of cardboard fray (ive seen before) stuck inside your oiling system, the $5 you saved on the oil filter doesnt make sense when you have to buy a $250 vvti solenoid because your crappy oil filter flung debris inside it blocking an oil passage.
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 06:09 AM   #4
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
My wife’s 2005 Camry is 18 years old and has 200,000 miles on it. Until recently I have done all the oil changes myself every 3 to 5000 miles. About half the time I used frame oil filters. A lot has been made about the cardboard end caps of the frame filters. ( this is the first time I’ve heard about rust on the expansion spring)

My 1974 Volkswagen beetle didn’t even HAVE an oil filter. There was a great big pile of gray muck under the oil strainer every time I clean it when I change the oil every 1500 miles. When I rebuild the engine at 130,000 miles the main bearings, camshaft bearings, and rod bearings had no detectable wear. I Did a valve job and replaced the pistons and cylinders. I rebuilt the engine again at 200,000 miles when I put it in a VW bus. The main bearings camshaft bearings and rod bearings again had no detectable wear but I renewed them anyway along with the Val job and pistons and cylinders.

In my experience there’s nothing wrong with the Fram filter.
Rust on the entirety of the surfaces inside on frams, they do not rust treat internally like Wix and Ryco do.

I worked in parts, Remcafe is a mechanic, nether of us will touch off brand filters

If you want the larger filter upgrade you will need the Ryco tho or they will try to sell you the smaller one again as it fits, but a bigger filter is always better on any engine in my experience, your oil will stay cleaner for longer and I just think there is less chance of the by pass valve ever getting used which is what you want.

Also dimensions of the standard Z386

And here is the larger z158.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 10:05 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
bronsin, i hate to tell you friend, but modern engines are not a 1974 vw bus, tolenerances and machined internal engine parts are far more tight and oil holes are very small, fram filters are probably going to be ok for most vehicles, on the off chance you get some rust or a piece of cardboard fray (ive seen before) stuck inside your oiling system, the $5 you saved on the oil filter doesnt make sense when you have to buy a $250 vvti solenoid because your crappy oil filter flung debris inside it blocking an oil passage.

Then…. How do you explain why my wife’s 2005 Camry has 200,000 miles on it after using Fram filters half the time? Or are you saying a 2005 Camry‘s engine is not modern?

And my wife’s Camry doesn’t have a whole lot of highway miles on it. Most of it is back-and-forth to work. And it’s 18 years old. And it’s never had synthetic oil. And those tiny holes never had a problem with lots of 10W-30 and even 10 W 40 oil.
Old 12-15-2022, 01:50 AM   #6
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
Quote:
Then…. How do you explain why my wife’s 2005 Camry has 200,000 miles on it after using Fram filters half the time? Or are you saying a 2005 Camry‘s engine is not modern?

And my wife’s Camry doesn’t have a whole lot of highway miles on it. Most of it is back-and-forth to work. And it’s 18 years old. And it’s never had synthetic oil. And those tiny holes never had a problem with lots of 10W-30 and even 10 W 40 oil.
luck of the draw...no seriously and im not trying to be mean or anything..

but "some" ppl dont ever have an issue with frams..i ran em for years too then started cutting em open cause i was curious, and promptly stopped buying them, mind you i was building race engines at the time and one of my engines was/is a 2000-2500 mile MAXIMUM oil change engine as it KILLS the oil ...so i had a reason to buy cheep filters and try anything onsale LOL i was going thru em like candy..stp used to be a good one too as well as the napa's tho i belive they are rebranded wix

ditto on the K/N filter unless im FORCED to..IE my bikes are all KN oil filter but these are EXPOSED non can type

typicaly i stick to wix
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 01:55 AM   #7
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compeer View Post
Ryco Z158 fits on 1nz-fe and is same price as the standard z386 but has a taller can with a much larger internal filter cartidge. Went with castrol 5w30 full synthetic magnatec this time, black friday special!

Anyway thought I would list all the Ryco filters for the ncp90-ncp131 1nz-fe

Oil: Z158
In tank fuel filter assembly (not cheap): Z791
Air filter: A1559
Cabin Filter: RCA164p

Use Toyota, Ryco or Wix filters too guys for 14 years while I was in parts we cut open all the different brands oil filters and put them on display in our shop, because of this we sold a lot more Ryco and Wix filters. Fram filters for example had a cardboard capped filter canister inside instead of a steel one and a pressed bent sheet spring instead of a precision wound spring and were always rusty inside brand new, rust on the "filtered" side going into your bearings.
does that number directly crossover to wix?

i know a couple things about a bigger filter, better flow rate at lower pressuer, slightly increased oil capacity

my ole barracudas were/are a prime example of this, they take a "43" but an 8A will fit in most cases and is almost 4x the size of the 43..the 8a being a standard "big ford" unit
Old 12-15-2022, 03:24 PM   #8
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
Quote:

like i said, you might be fine most of the time, and also the 2azfe in the older camrys are very stout engines with large oil galleys, maybe thats why you havent had issues, and like i said, not every single fram filter is going to come apart
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 04:22 PM   #9
sh0rtlife

exactly its really more about lack of QC combined with conditions and type of engine