Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-14-2023, 07:38 AM   #1
arf

Drives: 2010 4 door hatch manual
New member, old car

Hello guys

I've been reading through this forum for the past two months and it has been extremely helpful, in both my search for a Yaris and after purchasing my 2010.

I bought this very clean 5 door, 5 speed as a second car, but have since been driving it more than my regular DD (Rav4).

Original plan was to fix the small mechanical issues, do a tune up and leave it as is... I changed all filters, plugs, muffler and will do fluids and brakes this summer. I also replaced the rusted out steel wheels with 15'' Mini Cooper wheels, and installed with the correct bulge lug nuts (thanks to this forum).

I've since fallen in love with the car. New suspension is coming, as I sourced a set of brand new H&R lowering springs on Marketplace. New struts, mounts and links are ordered as well, Rear shocks on the car seem fine for now.

All that will be missing is a rear swaybar which I'm hoping to find used. Should be good after that.

Anybody have any maintenance to suggest for the motor? It's got 110k miles and am wondering if anything else should be done apart from regular oil changes.

Thanks, looking forward to using this forum quite a bit, even though it seems as if most have moved on from this platform.
Attached Images

arf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 10:57 AM   #2
CrimsonEclipse

Drives: .
No maintenance suggestions.

Just let it run forever.
CrimsonEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 07:32 PM   #3
arf

Let's hope that works!

I'd be happy to run this car for the next 10 years
Old 02-25-2023, 07:11 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Change the oil every 3000 miles if you drive in the city mostly. You don’t need synthetic oil that’s a waste of money. Heck even conventional oil is six dollars a quart now! Change the air filter every 30000 miles. I see you live in Canada. I put wheel bearing grease on the lug nut studs and be careful how I tighten them so the wheels don’t get frozen on. Also on the Toyota grease up The brake hub or use anti-seize or your wheels are going to get stuck on. But you probably already know that. If your battery terminals are corroding put we’ll bearing grease on them too. Corrosion comes from leaky battery cases. If you don’t have a leak you won’t need the grease.

Manual transmission. Oh yeah!

The aluminum wheels are a mistake. Do you still have the steel ones? One good pot hole and your shit out of luck!

That’s a beautiful car and you are an excellent judge of car fllesh! Good luck with it!
Old 02-25-2023, 11:54 AM   #5
3rdSEman

Drives: Black 2012 SE manual
Rustproofing as much as you can steadily every year ��
3rdSEman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 11:33 AM   #6
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Change the oil every 3000 miles if you drive in the city mostly. You don’t need synthetic oil that’s a waste of money. Heck even conventional oil is six dollars a quart now! Change the air filter every 30000 miles. I see you live in Canada. I put wheel bearing grease on the lug nut studs and be careful how I tighten them so the wheels don’t get frozen on. Also on the Toyota grease up The brake hub or use anti-seize or your wheels are going to get stuck on. But you probably already know that. If your battery terminals are corroding put we’ll bearing grease on them too. Corrosion comes from leaky battery cases. If you don’t have a leak you won’t need the grease.

Manual transmission. Oh yeah!

The aluminum wheels are a mistake. Do you still have the steel ones? One good pot hole and your shit out of luck!

That’s a beautiful car and you are an excellent judge of car fllesh! Good luck with it!
Thanks!

I like to take good care of my cars, I normally will run synthetic and do the oil changes at 3000 miles regardless. It's not that much more expensive when on sale, so it doesn't bother me!

As for rustproofing, I'll be doing it myself with Krown once the warm weather comes. That way it will seep into all the little cracks and be ready for next winter.

For the wheels, the steel wheels that came with the car were trash, rotted out. These were a very cheap alternative (found them used for $200 CDN) and I like the look.
Old 02-28-2023, 11:38 AM   #7
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdSEman View Post
Rustproofing as much as you can steadily every year ��
Looks like you're from Montreal too

How is your Yaris holding up to the winter abuse?
Old 03-02-2023, 07:32 AM   #8
arf

Attaching a few more pics of the car with the Mini wheels for one member who asked for them
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2023, 07:29 AM   #9
arf

Finally got this car lowered on my H&R coils with new suspension components, along with a TRD rear swaybar.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2023, 10:10 AM   #10
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Wow, that's a pristine looking Yaris. Congrats.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 12:59 PM   #11
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
considering where your at and the fact that rust eats everything overthere..that is indeed one clean lil yari
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 07:56 PM   #12
arf

The underbody of this car is pristine. Not sure how this one managed to survive all the salt and winters but it is clean. Not perfect but very good for a 14 year old car!
Old 04-19-2023, 03:44 AM   #13
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Probably not driven during the winter and kept in the garage
Old 04-20-2023, 12:11 AM   #14
sh0rtlife

looks as clean as my 07
which has never been off the west coast
Old 04-20-2023, 01:25 PM   #15
arf

Thanks for the nice comments guys. The underbody is actually super clean for a winter driven Canadian car as you can see in the attached picture. I have a small surface rust spot on the driver side rear finder but apart from that, the car is pretty clean. I can confirm the car was always winter driven and never garage kept!

I will probably do a few little cosmetic things this summer but otherwise will keep it clean and keep driving it until it dies!

I have already sprayed the underbody with Krown which I'm hoping preserves the condition.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2023, 01:35 PM   #16
sh0rtlife

aside from the exhaust..thats pretty much the same condition my 07 is in..aside from being probably a lil dirty...but you guys have under car sprayers ou there at the carwash right?
Old 04-20-2023, 09:23 PM   #17
arf

I haven't been to an automated car wash in years.

Truthfully, I don't know much about the history of this car. But I am assuming somebody did at least some basic maintenance and care, as the condition reflects.

All that to say, I think this is probably one of my favorite vehicles to date!