Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
firebird1999us

Drives: 2003 Mach 1
Planning on paying cash for a 2009 Yaris right now...will the dealer come off more?

I'm planning on a 2009 2 door, jolt yellow hatchback and I'm not buying until the end of the very end of February

The only options I want are:

-Power Package ($1400)
-Automatic transmission

I came across the $500 cash back offer...but the cheapest I keep coming up with is about $15k when I build one on Toyota's website. I'm pretty sure they can be had for far less than that though. Any ideas? Advice on buying a new car outright like this?
firebird1999us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
PreciousPups4U
I really LOVE this car!!!

Drives: 08 Bayou Blue LB AT
They have one at Dick Dyer Toyota in Columbia, SC. They have had it a long time. Maybe since Oct I want to say. I saw it right after the 2009's came out. I bet they would be very negotiable. It is an auto with the power package. Try calling them and see what they will do over the telephone.

http://dyertoyota.com/New-Inventory.aspx

It is much easier to get a deal on something they have on the lot rather than something they have to try to order or track down. Especially something they have had for a while.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

PreciousPups4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
PreciousPups4U
I really LOVE this car!!!

Drives: 08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Ok, I found my photos. I took them on Oct 15. That's at least 3 1/2 months it has been there. They have to be willing to deal if you really want the yellow. It would be unique. This is the only one I have seen in person. Seems like someone on here did buy one, but not from our area.
Attached Images

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

Last edited by PreciousPups4U; 01-29-2009 at 06:43 PM.
PreciousPups4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
My only advice would be to not get a yellow Yaris. You will enjoy the color for a month, then you will regret the choice. I know from experience hehe.
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
New England Toyota dealers are advertising $1000 cash back. If you are paying cash, rather than financing you could probably do even better. I bought my 09 back in October and paid cash. Unfortunately, I paid full sticker price because gas was still $4/Gallon at that time. Since then I've probably saved more than $1000 in gas, so no regrets...
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZING View Post
My only advice would be to not get a yellow Yaris. You will enjoy the color for a month, then you will regret the choice. I know from experience hehe.
^^^ Wowsers , that kinda sucks , but mabey the Op really digs yellow , I like the 09' jolt yellow . From what i've heard from a couple friends that tried to buy cars stright out cash is that the dealers really don't wanna "play ball" as far as a lower price goes , think about it if you finance the car they're gonna make 2-3K+ extra on top of the msrp , so in ther eyes selling you the car for msrp, and you paying cash is already "breaking their balls" Lol . But that was when the economy was "good" now with all the big car companys barely treading water , I'm sure they'll budge some , if not leave your #number and walk out of the dealership and tell them to call you when they are ready to sell the car on you terms .
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
n2oinferno

Drives: 96 Bonneville SSE/08 Yaris LB
I wouldn't necessarily think you'd get that much of a better price for paying with cash. Remember that the dealership gets kickbacks from the bank for financing you, and when you pay cash, they gotta find another way to make that extra little bit of cash.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
firebird1999us

As far as the yellow thing...I've owned a black car, a silver car, a white car, and my Mustang is dark shadow grey. I need something that's not a blah color. Been wanting a light yellow car for like 5 years now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
I wouldn't necessarily think you'd get that much of a better price for paying with cash. Remember that the dealership gets kickbacks from the bank for financing you, and when you pay cash, they gotta find another way to make that extra little bit of cash.
I was planning on 0% for 36 months prior to this...is there a loan initiation fee or someway they would make money otside of the APR?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
Jungle Rot

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan AT PP Silver
Paying Cash means nothing. The dealer get his money just as fast if you finace as the bank pays the dealer. Then you make your payments to the bank or finance company. They deal based on final price.

They make the money on dealer added stuff. For instance, my dealer offered tinted windows for $300. I found that they paid $80 for each car they tint. Nice $220 profit.
Jungle Rot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:39 PM   #10
dg4rez
Gas Saver

Drives: Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to dg4rez
if your paying cash, buy a used one (not from a dealership) with really low miles... you'll save tons.. I bought mine for 12,400 and it had 4k miles on it.. and its mint condition, has all options including auto.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:42 AM   #11
firebird1999us

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg4rez View Post
if your paying cash, buy a used one (not from a dealership) with really low miles... you'll save tons.. I bought mine for 12,400 and it had 4k miles on it.. and its mint condition, has all options including auto.
If I can get a brand new car for like 1000 more though it's worth the piece of mind to me to just buy it new

Went to a dealer near me the other day and they can get me a Yellow Yaris with all the power options I'm looking for for $14k without any serious negtiating on my part. The plus side to paying cash is that you don't have to go through any of that credit check bullshit.

The other dealer I went to near my house was really trying to unload cars too...so between those two and another that I've found that doesn't include any delivery fees for the car I should be able to come close to the price I'm trying to buy for.

EDIT: Just found a 2009 in white with power options for $13,800.

Last edited by firebird1999us; 02-01-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
dg4rez
Gas Saver

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird1999us View Post
If I can get a brand new car for like 1000 more though it's worth the piece of mind to me to just buy it new

Went to a dealer near me the other day and they can get me a Yellow Yaris with all the power options I'm looking for for $14k without any serious negtiating on my part. The plus side to paying cash is that you don't have to go through any of that credit check bullshit.

The other dealer I went to near my house was really trying to unload cars too...so between those two and another that I've found that doesn't include any delivery fees for the car I should be able to come close to the price I'm trying to buy for.

EDIT: Just found a 2009 in white with power options for $13,800.
yep only 1,000 more, then you add on tax, etc etc, and it ends up being 3+ more. Buying off creigslist = no tax
Old 02-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #13
firebird1999us

Quote:
yep only 1,000 more, then you add on tax, etc etc, and it ends up being 3+ more. Buying off creigslist = no tax
The quotes I got are with tax

Anybody who pays $2000 for tax on a Yaris probably spent about $20k more than they should have on it in my neck of the woods
Old 02-02-2009, 04:06 AM   #14
dg4rez
Gas Saver

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird1999us View Post
The quotes I got are with tax

Anybody who pays $2000 for tax on a Yaris probably spent about $20k more than they should have on it in my neck of the woods
then go for it, if thats what it costs out the door and after tax... The sales record on my yaris I bought, she paid over 17 after everything, she drove it for 4k miles, I picked it up off her for $12,400 + 200 for registration and custom plates which I haven't got yet With the money I saved I put it into stuff I wanted
Old 02-02-2009, 06:08 AM   #15
firebird1999us

Quote:
then go for it, if thats what it costs out the door and after tax... The sales record on my yaris I bought, she paid over 17 after everything, she drove it for 4k miles, I picked it up off her for $12,400 + 200 for registration and custom plates which I haven't got yet With the money I saved I put it into stuff I wanted
I'm planning on it...these are awesome little cars! One of the lots I looked at had a used one on it with 7k miles that I could have sworn was marked at like 14,500

That's kind of the situation I've been running into...the used ones are up for sale for as much as the new ones in a lot of the autotrader and craigslist ads I've seen in my area. I expect that from a dealer, but for sale privately it was kind of shocking!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #16
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Errrr...I'm not sure how the laws are in Nevada; but in Texas and every other state that I've lived in to register a vehicle you must show that taxes were paid on said vehicle. Even tax-free cars bought through military sales overseas ended up being taxed when they were brought back to the States.

Also, does Nevada have a 200% sales tax? An extra $1000 should only result in about $80 in taxes at 8%, which is high because no state charges that much for new autos according to this list from Kilingers, which came from this article on tax-friendly states. By the way, this is what the same article said about your home state:

Quote:
The most expensive state to own a typical car, in terms of taxes and fees, is Nevada, where you'll pay $2,507 over five years for a Toyota Camry LE.

With a sales tax of 6.5%, its one-year charge of $1,576 is also worst in the nation. Nevada's charge includes a "government services tax" of 1.4% of the depreciated value of the vehicle, which boosts the total taxes and fees for the Camry to $275 in year two, $247 in year three and so on.
But I will agree that you'll have an easier time negotiating during a private sale than if you buy from a dealership. And going into the dealership with cash in hand is no guarantee to a better deal on a car. There are numerous other factors involved...

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #17
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Have you looked at this Yaris in Georgia??? http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13357

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #18
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
Paying cash doesn't impress them... Maybe yellow isn't the most popular color??? You might find a lot of Jolt Yellows sitting around on car lots and, yes, they might come down to move them, but not because you're not financing. I'd have preferred a darker and more sedate gray (rather than the silver), but I got as close as I could on a "new" 08 at the end of the year when the "newer" 09s were jockeying for position on lots...
otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote