Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #1
jdennis187

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan 4D
2009 Yaris with ICE on inside of car windows

Hey guys and gals.

My wife owns a 2009 4D Sedan yaris. There is clearly some moisture getting inside as all of the interior windows ice up from the inside when it is really cold. The vehicle must be out of warranty for stuff like this.

Does anyone know what it might cost to fix a problem like this and do you think someone other then the dealership could handle it?

Thanks!

Last edited by jdennis187; 01-08-2014 at 11:33 AM.
jdennis187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
turn up the heat..
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
thetut

Drives: 2007 4dr sedan
Make sure that the vent control is not set to recirculate and don't be afraid to turn on the A/C to dry out the cabin especially for the last 5 minutes or so of a trip.

Be careful about bringing in lumps of snow on shoes and boots.

Remove any wet mats to dry.
thetut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
As I mentioned in another thread about severe Winter window fogging, excessive moisture inside of the car is likely to blame. This can be caused by something as simple as having live bodies in the car on a super cold day and not extracting the moisture with the A/C or by some source of water in the vehicle. The water could be condensate trapped in the bottom of the airbox due to the drain hose being plugged (very common on Yaris if the cabin air filter is not installed in the slot behind the glove box). It could also just be moisture trapped in the carpet or seats.

Running the A/C along with the heat should help, but if it is carpet or seat moisture (from an accidental window left open during rain, etc.) running a household dehumidifier inside of the car on a warm (60F+) day will help to suck it out.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
jdennis187

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
As I mentioned in another thread about severe Winter window fogging, excessive moisture inside of the car is likely to blame. This can be caused by something as simple as having live bodies in the car on a super cold day and not extracting the moisture with the A/C or by some source of water in the vehicle. The water could be condensate trapped in the bottom of the airbox due to the drain hose being plugged (very common on Yaris if the cabin air filter is not installed in the slot behind the glove box). It could also just be moisture trapped in the carpet or seats.

Running the A/C along with the heat should help, but if it is carpet or seat moisture (from an accidental window left open during rain, etc.) running a household dehumidifier inside of the car on a warm (60F+) day will help to suck it out.
It is 12 degrees in Albany, NY right now, so running the A/C is tough. But to clarify, are you saying that I could run the A/C and heat at the same time and that this would remove moisture from the cabin? Also, say the drain hose is plugged, would I be able to determine this myself without a mechanic looking at it? thanks!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdennis187 View Post
It is 12 degrees in Albany, NY right now, so running the A/C is tough. But to clarify, are you saying that I could run the A/C and heat at the same time and that this would remove moisture from the cabin? Also, say the drain hose is plugged, would I be able to determine this myself without a mechanic looking at it? thanks!
Yes, you can. In fact the defroster selection also turns on the air conditioning compressor.

It's a common thing to do on a damp, chilly day. A/C to dry the air, the heater core to warm you up.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdennis187 View Post
When you have the knob on full defog mode the AC automatically runs. You can press the AC switch to have it run in any of the other modes, and it can be on with the temperature knob in any position. including full hot.

The AC condensate drain hose goes through the floor at the top left of the passenger side foot well. If you pull the carpet back in that corner you will see the black hose that goes through the floor via a molded on grommet. You can pull that hose up and (with a pan under it to catch what comes out) you can run something flexible up into it to clear any debris that is blocking it.

While you are doing that, open the glove box, squeeze the rear corners towards the center and remove the glove box. To the left, behind it, is the rectangular slot for the air filter. Pop the cover and see if one is installed. If not, grab yourself one at an auto parts store. No having one installed leads to stuff blocking the drain as well as eventual swampy stink from the AC.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
jdennis187

Thanks for all your help guys, I will see what I can do and let you know!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
It takes very little residual moisture inside the cabin to cause the ice buildup on the windows. Chances are the floor mats are to blame.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
^ Agree with WeeYari ^ . Wet mat(s)will do it . Also make sure not to leave on recycle like stated above , do forget myself . Putting to fresh with AC on and on hot setting for heat coming from dash helps clear windows in very little time . Would think the temperature changes from extreme cold to 40+ temps might contribute . The inside of the windshield gets a film on it from daytime temps and the cold nights ( frost ) . Especially from sunny days that heat up the inside . I use a 3 sheets of paper towel soaked in hot water and then wipe dry with paper towels . Do this twice and makes the windshield nice and clear .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #11
jdennis187

UPDATE:

1) Driver side Mat was soaked
2) Heat was set to re-circulate

Before I left work i let the car run, changing to fresh air with the setting that hits the floor and the windshield with the A/C running. I let it run for twenty minutes and when i came out all the windows were just dripping with water. Wiped down all the windows with a towel and its fixed.

You guys were spot on, thanks for your help!

Tags
ice inside 2009