Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #127
EasyDriver

Drives: 2008 Yaris Meteorite LB
How you ever managed to get zip ties in the area near the alternator (picture 2) is beyond me! I tried and tried to do that, but couldn't get it done. Or, maybe my patience just ran out!
EasyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:01 PM   #128
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b View Post
There are no long-term effects other than a better working a/c.
evap core freezing up......
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:52 PM   #129
n00b

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
wikipedia told you this?
Thanks, I'm done with this forum. I'll let you believe 2+2=5.
n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:03 AM   #130
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Now im trying to figure out if the cold line we are feeling on the top of the exhaust/left of the motor is actually going into the cabin, or coming out?

The pictures above show it coming out, meaning what is the point to keep something cool thats not going to the cabin to make us cool!?

Someone has to explain this better, or maybe there is another place to insulate this?

Also has anyone looked under the steering wheel, right side of the floor, and also seen how close the two pipes come to each other? Seems like that needs insulation as well!
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 AM   #131
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Yes, that explination worked out great. Thanks.

I will try doing this tomorrow, couldn't today because I was in the process of installing fog lights.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:41 AM   #132
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
that would be the case if we insulate the HIGH PRESSURE line.

the compressor might not have to work so hard, neither your fan so i would say that long term effects would be beneficial.
ah, well then ill take your work on it. i have some heat shielding tape im going to use i just wanted to make sure the core wouldnt freeze.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #133
EasyDriver

Drives: 2008 Yaris Meteorite LB
evap core....

If anyone is concerned about the core freezing up....simply don't cover the entire line. It won't be as cold in the cabin, but you don't have to worry about it. If you covered the entire line, like I did, all you have to do is remove some of the insulation and the problem is solved.
EasyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #134
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyDriver View Post
How you ever managed to get zip ties in the area near the alternator (picture 2) is beyond me! I tried and tried to do that, but couldn't get it done. Or, maybe my patience just ran out!
Patience and a needle nose pliers to use as my second fingers. But mainly patience.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #135
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b View Post
There are no long-term effects other than a better working a/c.
How many years have you had this mod?
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #136
b_hickman11

What does the dryer do?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #137
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
What does the dryer do?
The dryer removes moisture that may have entered the system to protect the compressor.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #138
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The dryer removes moisture that may have entered the system to protect the compressor.
So....I would assume that the dryer has some type of rating on it, meaning the amount of moisture it can remove out of the air in a given amount of time. With this new mod, more moisture will be present in the line. How do we know that the dryer will do it's job with the extra moisture. It might work for now, but a year from now, or 2, or 3, will it still be able to work correctly or will it break prematurely due to having to work harder?? Anyone have any longterm data?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #139
toast

Drives: 2007 LB
Quote:
So....I would assume that the dryer has some type of rating on it, meaning the amount of moisture it can remove out of the air in a given amount of time. With this new mod, more moisture will be present in the line. ?
The drier will trap moisture and debris that entered the system when it was assembled and charged. As the a/c system is a sealed system you will not be getting any new moisture in the lines until a leak develops and then you have a whole new problem... no cooling. If you replace a compressor you change the drier too.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #140
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
The drier will trap moisture and debris that entered the system when it was assembled and charged. As the a/c system is a sealed system you will not be getting any new moisture in the lines until a leak develops and then you have a whole new problem... no cooling. If you replace a compressor you change the drier too.
So whats the point of a dryer?? The way you describe it is that once it dries the initial moisture in the air when the AC is used for the very first time, then dryer is useless?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #141
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
So whats the point of a dryer?? The way you describe it is that once it dries the initial moisture in the air when the AC is used for the very first time, then dryer is useless?
It has the ability to absorb a significant amount of moisture - more than should be in the system from initial manufacturing. Once the system leaks enough to reach atmospheric pressure the dryer will most likely become saturated. Replacing the dryer, when replacing the compressor is important, since you can't easily tell the condition of the dryer and it is cheap in comparison to the compressor.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #142
b_hickman11

Quote:
It has the ability to absorb a significant amount of moisture - more than should be in the system from initial manufacturing. Once the system leaks enough to reach atmospheric pressure the dryer will most likely become saturated. Replacing the dryer, when replacing the compressor is important, since you can't easily tell the condition of the dryer and it is cheap in comparison to the compressor.
So why wouldn't they come up with a machine that dry's out the system at the factory and not install a dryer since the dryer is useless after becoming saturated from the moisture in the lines during installation. Wouldn't that be more green for the economy??
Old 07-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #143
CTScott
ULTIMATE

When you charge an AC system, you first draw a vacuum on it to pull out as much moisture and particulate as possible. It's impossible to get every bit, so that's where the dryer comes into play.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #144
b_hickman11

Quote:
When you charge an AC system, you first draw a vacuum on it to pull out as much moisture and particulate as possible. It's impossible to get every bit, so that's where the dryer comes into play.
Thats why they need to have a removable dryer. Has a shut off valve before and after the dryer. After the dryer has done it's job, shut the valves off and remove the dryer. Clean the dryer out and reuse it on the next car coming down the belt.