Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-28-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Exclamation System not working!

okay, me and my friend just got done installing my sound system, but it's not working! we tested the sub in his car, and it works just fine. we tested his sub in my car, and it doesn't work (like my sub). we power tested the amp, and there's power going into it, yet it's no lit and doesn't seem like its working. we can't figure out what could the problem be, and we're frustrate as hell here! we spent 5 hours getting everything in. could the amp be defective? it's an Alpine M450.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
ponieswhee

Drives: Black 07 Liftback
You're getting power through your constant +12V by an 8 gauge wire or something like that, I assume. Where are you getting your remote turn on signal from? If you don't have power going to your amp's remote turn on, it won't come on, ever.

Also check to make sure your ground is solid and connected well. You will have to sand a spot down to bare metal to get a good connection on your ground.
ponieswhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:44 PM   #3
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
I agree check fuse(s).
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
Is it getting a signal from HU?
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

ponieswhee got it right. me and my friend never heard of splitting the power cable to go to the power and remote slots. came on once i figured that out (accidentally, lol). that amp with the Type R is not what i expected. the amp does not power that sub enough. i think i'm going to keep this amp for a while, save some money, and maybe get a better amp.

thanks guys for your help.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:56 PM   #6
ponieswhee

Word of caution. If you're using the constant 12v as the remote signal your amp will never turn off, even when the car is off. Try to find a switched power signal from somewhere that only turns on when the car is running.

There is a grey wire off the stock head unit harness that is a switched 12v, you could use that or find another one.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:39 AM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponieswhee View Post
Word of caution. If you're using the constant 12v as the remote signal your amp will never turn off, even when the car is off. Try to find a switched power signal from somewhere that only turns on when the car is running.

There is a grey wire off the stock head unit harness that is a switched 12v, you could use that or find another one.
yeah, it's on, but i don't want to buy that remote signal wire. is it bad to always have the amp on?
Old 05-29-2007, 08:56 AM   #8
ponieswhee

Not sure if it's bad for your amp to never turn off. Depending on how much power the amp uses when it's on but not pushing your sub, it might drain your car battery. Remote wire is dirt cheap, pretty much any 18 gauge wire will work, even some old speaker wire, so I think it would be well worth it to throw a turn on line in there.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:36 PM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponieswhee View Post
Not sure if it's bad for your amp to never turn off. Depending on how much power the amp uses when it's on but not pushing your sub, it might drain your car battery. Remote wire is dirt cheap, pretty much any 18 gauge wire will work, even some old speaker wire, so I think it would be well worth it to throw a turn on line in there.
crap, then yeah, i think i will go out and get one. i don't want my battery to get drained.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #10
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
ponieswhee got it right. me and my friend never heard of splitting the power cable to go to the power and remote slots. came on once i figured that out (accidentally, lol). that amp with the Type R is not what i expected. the amp does not power that sub enough. i think i'm going to keep this amp for a while, save some money, and maybe get a better amp.

thanks guys for your help.
a box will make a MUCH bigger difference than adding morepower
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

really? i mean, the amp i have is no where near what the Type R is capable of, but then again, i would like a bandpass box. lol....
Old 05-29-2007, 09:19 PM   #12
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
really? i mean, the amp i have is no where near what the Type R is capable of, but then again, i would like a bandpass box. lol....
not bandpass, ported! Just leave it up to me, being that I run the same woofer, in the same car, I have a pretty good idea of what works :)

The box will make a HUGE difference, then you can add even more power, since the woofer will be capable of handling more in this box... thats when people think your one 10 is 2 12's :)

I recent built a dual 12 sealed box, and my single 10 setup is actually louder on the low stuff... the guy wouldnt belive me until he heard it lol.

I've also got an 800 watt amp that works perfect with the woofer that I'll sell cheap, if its not already gone.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:38 AM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

hey spkrman, i solved my problem, yet again. i knew that it couldn't be all that the amp was giving, so i rechecked the wiring just now (it's past midnight here, lol). and i was right, my friend hooked up the RCA cables to the aux cables of the HU. so i swapped those to the rear cables, and now my subs works just fine. being midnight, i couldn't fully test it out or even tune it perfectly (do that later today, along with buying a remote signal wire). now my question is: could having the RCA hooked up to the aux cables cause damage to anything, i.e. sub, amp, etc?

ported? hmm, is there anyway so that i can turn my sealed box into a ported box? oh, if i decide i want more power, i'll let you know about that 800W amp. is that 800W RMS or peak? and if i do get that off you, i will have to upgrade my power cable to 4 gauge cable (remember, i have 8 gauge right now [but my friend thinks those are fat, and he has 4 gauge RF cables])?
Old 05-30-2007, 04:26 AM   #14
BlueFlash
wa do dem

Drives: 2007 blue Lb
well all i could add is you cant go too big but you can go too small you can use a fuse to adjust power but if you pull too much threw too small you have a fire or blow fuses and all wow that kind had a jingle to it lol and it you port check the specs on your subs and box porting can be good but bad in the wrong box
Old 05-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #15
Kaotic Lazagna

i don't think i'm going to switch fuses. as for porting, i don't know enough about enclosures to do it. so i guess i'll stick to this set up for a while. =)
Old 05-30-2007, 03:56 PM   #16
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
hey spkrman, i solved my problem, yet again. i knew that it couldn't be all that the amp was giving, so i rechecked the wiring just now (it's past midnight here, lol). and i was right, my friend hooked up the RCA cables to the aux cables of the HU. so i swapped those to the rear cables, and now my subs works just fine. being midnight, i couldn't fully test it out or even tune it perfectly (do that later today, along with buying a remote signal wire). now my question is: could having the RCA hooked up to the aux cables cause damage to anything, i.e. sub, amp, etc?

ported? hmm, is there anyway so that i can turn my sealed box into a ported box? oh, if i decide i want more power, i'll let you know about that 800W amp. is that 800W RMS or peak? and if i do get that off you, i will have to upgrade my power cable to 4 gauge cable (remember, i have 8 gauge right now [but my friend thinks those are fat, and he has 4 gauge RF cables])?
you cant turn a sealed into a ported... it will sound like giant flapping ass.

You'll never hear me speak in peak terms.

4ga would be a good upgrade.

I have a 10 box ready for you already if/when you want to pick it up :)
Old 05-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #17
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrman View Post
you cant turn a sealed into a ported... it will sound like giant flapping ass.

You'll never hear me speak in peak terms.

4ga would be a good upgrade.

I have a 10 box ready for you already if/when you want to pick it up :)
damn, 800W RMS!!! now that's an amp! but yeah, i think i'll keep my system right now (depends how cheap/old your 800W amp is). i kinda made my friend want a Type R, so if he gets a 10" one, i'll sell him my box and buy one from you. but then there's the shipping charges...
Old 05-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #18
Sway84

Drives: 07 Yaris HB
Send a message via MSN to Sway84
price on that 10 box?...

Ron Cabading
Sway84 is offline   Reply With Quote