Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-17-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Broken windshield

We have had more than our fair share of vandalism and such where we currently live. In the past three months weve gone through three cars and Ive removed the wheels on my car because people kept stealing the valve caps (among other reasons).

Saturday night was sort of the 'icing on the cake' so to speak when we all piled into the yaris and noticed the windshield had been caved in.

Pardon my french but some fuck-head decided out of spite to just smash my windshield. Theres a ton of pricks in the neighborhood, punks, drugaddicts etc weve come to realise. This is the main reason all of my projects and progress on the yaris and truck have been on hold. Were going broke fixing or replacing vehicles so were moving.

To make a long story short we didnt have glass coverage on our insurance so I really expected to be paying a shit load of cash to replace it. (The last windshield I replaced cost $700 for glass alone)

I was surprised when I was quoted $280 installed. The company came to the house and replaced it and including taxes I spent a total of $320.

$20 more than what my deductible would have been and they came to my house to do it.

as a side note, anyone thinking of moving to kelowna - dont. between crime, cost of living and the shitty pay it sucks.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Damn, sorry to hear that, but glad to hear you are moving, and that the repair costs were not too shattering (pun intended )

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
nqd

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Absolute RED
sorry to hear about all your problems....at least you moving away from the source...(i thought canada was a nice and safe place to live)
nqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
wow sorry to hear about all that crap. Glad it didn't turn out too much though and eek.. I am never going to where you live now.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqd View Post
sorry to hear about all your problems....at least you moving away from the source...(i thought canada was a nice and safe place to live)
Seriously, I thought Canada was a safe place as well. What up? I thought it was all Molsen, lumberjacks and woodchucks and whatnot... hehe

I've been to Windsor, outside of Detroit once and it was super clean and I didn't feel in danger even though it was like 1AM. Even the alleys looked clean. We were headed to a strip club, one of the best ones ever I might add. hehe
When coming back into the USA they border agent asked my boss if he had anything to declare and he said "I LOVE America!" They let us on through! This was pre 9/11 of course.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
Turbo&Auto

Drives: 07
Drugaddicts prolly didnt break it ;) They're too busy enjoying the high.....
Turbo&Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #7
Meteorite Man
Passin' The Gas...Station

Drives: Same As You But Different
Send a message via Yahoo to Meteorite Man
Hmmmmm....Your French sounds just like my English. No need for the pardon.

Chuck

Chuck
Meteorite Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
mikeukrainetz

Actually Turbo the drug addict was the one who drove his minivan into the back of our volvo and folded it in half a month ago - hit a parked car doing 80km in a 50km zone on god knows what, crack pipes hanging out of the glove box, left the scene to ditch his stash and the cop had to go look for him. Buddy got off with a driving with undue care and attention ticket.... sweet system.
if my wife and kids had been in the car they would have been dead, the car seat was folded up behind the passenger seat. Heres a pic if it sounds to good to be true. (three cars totalled in this accident)
The skid mark along side the van is from our volvo.

Ive been all over the US, NY, Chicago, California, Maine, etc etc and can honestly say everyone there has been exceptionally helpfull and courteous.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
that's a nice van for a drug addict!

is kelowna really that bad? i havent' been there in years, but the okanagan valley sure is beautiful.

Quote:
I've been to Windsor, outside of Detroit once and it was super clean and I didn't feel in danger even though it was like 1AM. Even the alleys looked clean. We were headed to a strip club, one of the best ones ever I might add. hehe
When coming back into the USA they border agent asked my boss if he had anything to declare and he said "I LOVE America!" They let us on through! This was pre 9/11 of course.
lol, windsor has the reputation here in canada for being a bit on the grubby side, but that might have to do with it's proximity to detroit.
nothing against detroit, but it's not the cleanest place on the planet.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:56 AM   #10
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Sorry to learn about the broken windshield! The replacement cost appears to be reasonably low though. Hope you get a genuine Toyota windshield.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:43 AM   #11
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Blame it on Hip Hop... glorifying the rear-ending of Volvo's daily. Sorry for the fuknuts in Kewlona... At least the skiing is awesome. =)
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #12
Rizzo

Drives: 2007 5-Door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqd View Post
Sadly, Canada has more than one neighbourhood... :)

This is really shitty, but I'm glad it was so much cheaper to fix than you thought. It feels personal when someone does something so extreme, even if it isn't.
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #13
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Sadly, Canada has more than one neighbourhood... :)

This is really shitty, but I'm glad it was so much cheaper to fix than you thought. It feels personal when someone does something so extreme, even if it isn't.
Every time I am out of the country and meet Canadian's they all say there is no crime in Canada... but it seems that almost every Canadian I meet is from Toronto, or Ottawa
Old 07-18-2007, 06:39 PM   #14
mikeukrainetz

Yeah the skiing here is great, so is the weather and the scenery.
Ive lived in various towns in central BC (Okanagan and surrounding area) as well as Vancouver and have actually found the crime worse here than in Van.
All I can say is weve had horrible luck nomatter where weve lived.

I dont know if anyone else has heard of this but apparently there are two kinds of windshields available - a cheap version and an expensive version. I wasnt asked if I wanted one or the other but the replacement looks exactly the same as the old one - plus its clean and not sandblasted...
Old 07-18-2007, 10:08 PM   #15
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Sorry to hear about your misfortune....many New Brunswick? I know there is not a lot there....well it depends on if you want to be in the city or not....but I have lived by it and traveled all over it for years...never had an incident.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:17 PM   #16
DjT
:)

Drives: 2007 5DR Yaris HB RS
Lol... Canada might "Appear" to be nice, I mean in general it is, but we certainly do have our "hoods" and our "ghettos" and our "gangstas" . We have the crack projects and everything. We have the "I hang my pants at my knees and I act all tough chilling around the bus station, I'll bust a cap at any rent-a-cop transit cop that gets near me" (our transit rent-a-cops in Ottawa are actually cops now - minus the gun part though). And they come from every ethnic community as well, White, Asians, Blacks, Arabs, etc... We aren't too far from the states.
DjT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:56 AM   #17
reznunt
Hi!

Drives: EF Sedan
messing with a man's automobile is just wrong. sorry man. at least there's no paint damage! i'd rather have new glass than mismatching non-oem paint.
reznunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:04 AM   #18
Thotprawsis

Drives: '07 Blazin' Blue LB
Wow sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm glad your looking into moving. Maybe you don't have to leave all together. I've lived in a lot of sh!tholes. I have found that there is always one good area in every city/town that isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg. Best of luck with your search.
Thotprawsis is offline   Reply With Quote