Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-09-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
TPMS warning light flashes then stays on

Hi everyone! Just had my first ever problem with my Yaris. But it's a minor one. I had new tires put on in May. No new rims or anything like that, just new tires. No issues. Then, today, six months later, my TPMS warning light came on. I expected this, since we just had the first hard frost of the year, and my tires always lose some PSI after the first hard frost. No heat in my detached garage, so it gets cold in there. Anyway, I put air in the tires, like I always do when this happens. No big deal, right? Except this time, the TPMS warning light wouldn't shut off, even after I drove 50 miles on the highway. Now, when I turn the car on, the TPMS warning light flashes several times then stays on, which the owner's manual indicates that there's a malfunction in the system. I did a search of this forum and read that sometimes this "malfunction" is simply that the batteries died in the TPMS sensors. Do you think this is the case? I've owned this car since new, and the TPMS sensors have the original batteries.

Or is this something I should just ignore? This car is over ten years old, so is this TPMS problem just a typical "old car" issue? I don't want to spend big $$$$ on fixing a nanny system. But on the other hand, if it's likely something simple and inexpensive to fix, I'll consider getting it fixed. Thanks everyone!
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Hi everyone! Just had my first ever problem with my Yaris. But it's a minor one. I had new tires put on in May. No new rims or anything like that, just new tires. No issues. Then, today, six months later, my TPMS warning light came on. I expected this, since we just had the first hard frost of the year, and my tires always lose some PSI after the first hard frost. No heat in my detached garage, so it gets cold in there. Anyway, I put air in the tires, like I always do when this happens. No big deal, right? Except this time, the TPMS warning light wouldn't shut off, even after I drove 50 miles on the highway. Now, when I turn the car on, the TPMS warning light flashes several times then stays on, which the owner's manual indicates that there's a malfunction in the system. I did a search of this forum and read that sometimes this "malfunction" is simply that the batteries died in the TPMS sensors. Do you think this is the case? I've owned this car since new, and the TPMS sensors have the original batteries.

Or is this something I should just ignore? This car is over ten years old, so is this TPMS problem just a typical "old car" issue? I don't want to spend big $$$$ on fixing a nanny system. But on the other hand, if it's likely something simple and inexpensive to fix, I'll consider getting it fixed. Thanks everyone!
I don't have TPMS in any of my vehicles but maybe try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes or so. I'm one that hates dash warning lights of any kind, so I'd fix it, but I have an obsessive nature. If you check your tire pressure often, then you really don't need the TPMS system. This reminds me that I have an ABS light on in my van. I know it's the passenger front speed sensor as I had the wheel bearing replaced this summer while away on vacation and the tech melted the speed sensor with his torch in an attempt to get the bearing hub out of the knuckle.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:45 PM   #3
Hamster

06YarisRS - Dash warning lights driver me crazy, too. I couldn't stop staring at the TPMS light, even though I knew the tires were totally fine. I don't check my tire pressure often, but looks like I may have to check it frequently during the winter months, if there's no reasonably priced solution. By "reasonably priced," I'd be willing to pay maybe up to $200 to fix this. If it's going to cost hundreds more than that, it may make more sense to use tape to cover up that warning light. I'll also take your advice and try disconnecting the battery at some point to see if it'll reset.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:00 AM   #4
stykerdk
Yaris Hybrid Limited 2015

Drives: yaris Hybrid limited 2015
If they are ten years i would start with the TPMS sensors, probably a dead battery.
Visit a tyre shop who has a TPMS scanner tool, if they cant read all 4 wheel sensors then you also know which one is dead.
Or disable the system.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...highlight=tpms
Old 11-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Anytime the light is flashing there's a problem other than low tire pressure.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Quote:
Originally Posted by stykerdk View Post
If they are ten years i would start with the TPMS sensors, probably a dead battery.
Visit a tyre shop who has a TPMS scanner tool, if they cant read all 4 wheel sensors then you also know which one is dead.
Or disable the system.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...highlight=tpms
Yeah, after 10 years, I'd assume one is dead. At that age I would have had them replaced with the tires.

I just did the tires on my truck. A 2008 ram. I've had dead sensors for 2 years. You did well if they are only dying now.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:22 PM   #7
Hamster

Okay, quick update to this thread. We've got a blizzard on the way, so I decided to pump a little more air into the tires just in case they lose a PSI with the sudden cold coming. I slightly overinflated all the tires, to 35 PSI. And the warning light went completely away. Wow! And this wasn't a one-time fluke. I turned my car on and off four times throughout the day while I was running errands, and the blinky malfunction dash warning light never came on. I'm glad I was able to fix the problem for free, and it wasn't a dead sensor battery!

So, if anyone else gets a blinking TPMS malfunction warning light even after you inflate the tires to the proper PSI, try overinflating your tires to 35 PSI, and no less than that. This is what worked for me, for some reason. Do this before you run to the dealership. I have no clue why overinflating the tires worked, but I'm not complaining!

Last edited by Hamster; 11-10-2019 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 11-11-2019, 07:35 AM   #8
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Glad to hear the annoying light is gone.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #9
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Perhaps whatever gauge you use to check your tires is out of calibration. Maybe the tire really was underinflated.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:49 PM   #10
Hamster

NYC-SE
The gauge I used to check the tires was definitely correct. I checked with a different gauge, and got the same readings. But even if the tires were underinflated, that wouldn't explain the flashing TPMS error light. Must be some glitch with the car's computer, I have no other explanation. Hopefully this thread will help others who find themselves with the same issue!

Tags
tpms light