Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Bella

Drives: 06 Yaris YR Hatch
Parts from a wrecked Yaris

Hey guys,

I went into our local Japanese car wrecker today looking for a single hub cap because I refuse to buy one from the local dealer, after I was told that my 3yo car is 'too old' to order parts for ... And the bloke there told me they had a written off Yaris hatch out the back that is available to be stripped for parts! I don't have any details of which part of the car was destroyed (guessing a head on because he said one wheel was no good), which model it was (hoping a YRX!) or whether it had anything aftermarket on it besides wheels.

Basically, I need advice as to what to grab! I was thinking of getting some of the interior parts from the doors and dash to test out some painting on, possibly tail lights or headlights, depending on whether they were any good. And if it were a YRX, skirts/lip if they weren't damaged. But besides that, I have no idea!

Suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
Grab the mirrors and window glass also if you have the room to store it.

If you're grabbing the interior trim, I'm looking to buy the driver-side master power window trim from a 5-door hatch
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Bella,

Arent you the lucky one. Written off Yaris' at a wreckor are hard to come by in Australia. There's a part that i wan't from a wrecked Yaris so bad and I'm sure you would not need it.

I need the black plastic behind the fan switch.

It has two clips that hold the switch in place, I snapped mine http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20430 see my thread.

If you could get me that part i'd be so happy. I'd pay you for the part and shipping of course.

As for what you should grab for yourself......

If it's a YRX get everything below

get the steering wheel, it has audio controls.
Get the 6 CD stacker, it has blutooth calling
Get the under passenger seat tray (trust me, it's cool, I have the YRX)

If it's not a YRX

Get the trim around the speedo and air con, you may want to paint it up.
The tails would come in handy.
You could turn the headlights into a projector headlights with a kit.

Please help me, I can tell you how to get the switch out (I don't need the switch, just the black plastic part behind it that has 2 clips).

Cheers

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
From my experience with Crashy, grab every serviceable part that you can. You would be amazed at to how many parts people will find use for. Literally, every single little (or big) piece of plastic in the car has a market. And, mechanical and electrical parts are just as, if not more valuable.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
get the digital speedo and I am sure someone here will be interested :)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:24 AM   #6
YarYarBinks

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to YarYarBinks
i snapped that same black nib too. i have a piece of paper wedged in there for now to keep it "secure". good luck.
YarYarBinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:07 AM   #7
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarYarBinks View Post
i snapped that same black nib too. i have a piece of paper wedged in there for now to keep it "secure". good luck.
Did you snap both sides? There are two clips and I broke them both!

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Old 07-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
*MAD DOG*

So excited, waiting to hear what Bella ended up with.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Is their some law in Aussieland that you cannot get parts off of a smashed car? We have junkyards galore here in the states, kind of a buy at your own risk and knowledge type of thing. Could end up buying a crap part if your not familiar with cars but you could also get something at a steal of a price if you are good with cars.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
Is their some law in Aussieland that you cannot get parts off of a smashed car? We have junkyards galore here in the states, kind of a buy at your own risk and knowledge type of thing. Could end up buying a crap part if your not familiar with cars but you could also get something at a steal of a price if you are good with cars.
No, we just have a much smaller population than the USA and a heck of a lot less cars and therefore much less accidents.

We have wreckers here, it is just rare to find such a modern car. Don't get me wrong, it's relatively easy to find cars from the 90's. But you could ring 10 wreckers and not find a Yaris.