Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
wowitswil

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
quick question about stock intake....

i heard from someone that u a custom stock intake can work just as a good as an "aftermarket" CAI........anyone know if this is true before i bang out 3 bens out....if it is possible how can u mod the stock intake....??
Old 02-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Here's an idea (I did something similar some time back) from 8thgencivic.

Quote:
13. Kenua6 and his ducting from the lower bumper to the base of the airbox, ushering in cooler air to the intake: Moved rear spoiler, Home made ice box,Led plate light~
Just did some little thing over the weekend, I already did the KN drop removed resonator and 6k HID few week ago, but I think the that intake sucking the hot air is not good so I go ahead and did custom piping for the intake, and also I moved the rear spoiler move rear cause I dont like the rear spoiler when I first got the Si but now I love the spoiler alot more.

finish all the typing please enjoy the picture guy!!

home made ice box

Some pepboy ram air kit and 135 degree silicone hose I sell size 2.75"

Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

There was a thread in that forum that showed that a modded stock intake produced the almost the same amount of HP gain from an AEM CAI. He had dyno runs to prove his case. hehehehe.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
kazama82

Drives: VIOS
for CAI, is it advisable to make small hole at the hose just in case water accumulate inside the hose and go to the engine bay?
kazama82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

The only time CAI will help is at absolute wide open throttle, where denser air will give a slight horsepower boost. At anything less than WOT the engine will operate more efficiently with warm air coming in it. Consider the recent thread started by the fellow who drove into a puddle and sucked water into his engine if you're thinking of putting a hose down low to bring in cool air.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
I have a stock modified airbox. What I did was cut a hole on the right bottom half and then use ducting material all the way down to the foglight cover. I sealed the hole that was cut where the duct came into the box just so it wouldn,t be loud. I left the factory inlet just incase I go through a flooded area like I already did and had no problems. The box feels alot cooler than before the mod and I dont have to worry about hydrolock. I will be replacing the airfilter for a highflow one. I used to have a CAI but it rains alot here so I sold it.
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
kazama82

Drives: VIOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
The only time CAI will help is at absolute wide open throttle, where denser air will give a slight horsepower boost. At anything less than WOT the engine will operate more efficiently with warm air coming in it. Consider the recent thread started by the fellow who drove into a puddle and sucked water into his engine if you're thinking of putting a hose down low to bring in cool air.
sorry a noob questions..meaning that for CAI, better to get hot air to go in rather than cold air, ?..is it advisable to route your CAI at the tire side?
kazama82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
CAI is installed on Yaris by those that buy and install before doing research. It will not make it faster, nor will it make it get higher MPG....you'll get a lousy 1-3 HP at best and so the whole thing is funny and makes the eyes of guys 28 and older roll and they laugh....it's the young boys that put CAI on their Yaris....some will grow up most won't.....lol unless you are at wide open throatle, you'll not get any benefit, and if you do get benefit it is slight.....lol x 100!
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazama82 View Post
for CAI, is it advisable to make small hole at the hose just in case water accumulate inside the hose and go to the engine bay?
It's like a vacuum, so I don't think a hole would make a big difference. I wouldn't do this mod if it rains in your area constantly. I had mine on during summer. I took it out once it hit winter and the rain started pouring.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
wowitswil

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
hmmm thanks for the advice...i dont think i need one over here in nyc.....lots of traffic...and by the time i get a chance to really get it going...there up ahead is a dead red light....LOL...not a big change in power...might as well save for a supercharger n some non hubcap rims lol...thanks guys =D
Old 02-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #11
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
You will gain nothing by installing one of these gimmicks.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowitswil View Post
hmmm thanks for the advice...i dont think i need one over here in nyc.....lots of traffic...and by the time i get a chance to really get it going...there up ahead is a dead red light....LOL...not a big change in power...might as well save for a supercharger n some non hubcap rims lol...thanks guys =D
Throw in a K&N drop-in, not for it's "power gains" (as it'll be negligible), but for its reusability.

Oh, retract my previous comment. The Civic with the DIY intake was a homemade short ram, not a modified stock intake box. Sorry.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #13
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Throw in a K&N drop-in, not for it's "power gains" (as it'll be negligible), but for its reusability.

Oh, retract my previous comment. The Civic with the DIY intake was a homemade short ram, not a modified stock intake box. Sorry.
My former "intake:

Looked stock from up top, but the bottom and sides were cutout. It sounded nice; don't know what if any gains were to be had. Probably not many. I used a K&N drop-in, too.

I've got the K&N Typhoon, now.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #14
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
My former "intake:

Looked stock from up top, but the bottom and sides were cutout. It sounded nice; don't know what if any gains were to be had. Probably not many. I used a K&N drop-in, too.

I've got the K&N Typhoon, now.
hahaha, I remember, you bought my K&N drop in.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #15
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Nobody gonna man-up for a naca duct on the hood?
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote