Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #19
MPC Motorsports

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan
I purchased the Platinum 7/100/$0 deductible from Troy at Toyota of Greenfield this afternoon. I'll probably never need it, but I now have piece of mind knowing anything major is covered. I hope to own and drive my Yaris for a minimum of 7 years and over 100k miles. And like Troy has said in earlier posts, even an ABS controller would cost over $2,000 to replace out of warranty.

My sister has a 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL. Just before her six year extended warranty expired, the transmission went. It would have set her back nearly $4,000 had she not had the extended service plan.

Troy was great to deal with and paying for it with a new Toyota Rewards VISA interest free over six months means I do not have to shell out $745 at one time. Finally, if I never use the Toyota Rewards VISA ever again, I'll have enough points from the warranty to pay for a couple of oil changes at my dealer.
MPC Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #20
MPC Motorsports

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan
To the top!!!

This is the REAL DEAL!!!

Since last week, I have received the paperwork from Troy and his staff at Toyota of Greenfield for my 7/100k/$0 extended warranty and my Toyota Rewards VISA card that was used to purchase said plan. $745 for a $1,300 plan and I can pay it out over six months with 0% interest.
MPC Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #21
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC Motorsports View Post
To the top!!!

This is the REAL DEAL!!!

Since last week, I have received the paperwork from Troy and his staff at Toyota of Greenfield for my 7/100k/$0 extended warranty and my Toyota Rewards VISA card that was used to purchase said plan. $745 for a $1,300 plan and I can pay it out over six months with 0% interest.
$1300 is a ripoff. $745 is less of a ripoff. you are not really paying for a 7 yr/100 k warranty anyway, since there is a already an exisitng warranty on the car when new. probability is excessively high that it is a losing proposition, as all warranties are.

sorry to poo poo this, but the types of repairs eating into the pockets of toyota/honda owners are ocurring beyond 7 yrs/100k miles. they know this, which is why they are making money on this deal.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #22
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Extended warranty on a Toyota? Absolute waste of money!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #23
TroyD

Drives: 1996 Toyota Corolla (170K!)
$745.00 is only about $100 a year. Which is cheap peace of mind that you won't have some unexpected failure.

While Toyota's are probably the most reliable car on the road today, there are MANY very expensive parts on them that can and do fail. I've seen a Corolla with a steering column failure just a year out of the 3/36K...guess how many day's that car was in the shop for repairs! A/C failures can easily run over $1000 to fix...the multitude of computers in the vehicle rarely cost less than $1000, as I mentioned earlier an ABS actuator costs over $2000...even the factory radio (which is covered by the Platinum coverage), typically costs in the $800 range to replace. All of these things I see our shop repair/replace in Toyota's every day. Never mind the really big ticket items like an engine or transmission.

Toyota's claims typically run at somewhere around 85% of the revenue generated from the sale of their warranty plans. So while there are certainly plently of people that purchase the plan and never need to use it....that's made up for by the people that have claims costing 4-5 times the cost of the warranty. Personally, for about $100/year I'd rather play it safe.

For what it's worth, I've seen the numbers from the plans sold by our dealership, and Toyota is actually losing money on them as our claims rate is over 100% of the sales revenue. I looked into this because Toyota has a program that pays the dealership a bonus (that I wanted a commision on if we qualified ) if the claims rate runs at 85% or lower.
TroyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #24
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
"So while there are certainly plently of people that purchase the plan and never need to use it....that's made up for by the people that have claims costing 4-5 times the cost of the warranty."

exactly. most people either wont use it, or will use it but never claim enough to make up for what they paid in the first place. its just another add on that often takes advantage of inexperienced buyers.

a good idea for anyone with a loan if you have $745 to spend. make that payment on your car (or borrow that much less in the first place). you will save a fair amount of interest and you will shorten the maturity date of your loan. it is very likely you"ll save more doing this than what you will have to spend on repairs. then, if you dont have significant repairs, its just a bunch of money saved.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #25
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Extended warranty on a Toyota is money in the bank for Toyota! Statistically speaking, you will never get to use it!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #26
satellite

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris 5-Door LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
"So while there are certainly plently of people that purchase the plan and never need to use it....that's made up for by the people that have claims costing 4-5 times the cost of the warranty."

exactly. most people either wont use it, or will use it but never claim enough to make up for what they paid in the first place. its just another add on that often takes advantage of inexperienced buyers.

a good idea for anyone with a loan if you have $745 to spend. make that payment on your car (or borrow that much less in the first place). you will save a fair amount of interest and you will shorten the maturity date of your loan. it is very likely you"ll save more doing this than what you will have to spend on repairs. then, if you dont have significant repairs, its just a bunch of money saved.
What if you have 0% interest on your loan?
satellite is offline   Reply With Quote