Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
That Prius is ...How Much?

Last June, Toyota made a statement that only 2 percent of respondents to a customer satisfaction survey reported paying an extra dealer charge for their Prius.

Yet, every dealer I've contacted has added an average $3000.00 "Dealer Fee" to the price of their Prius hybrids.

I have been told that the fee is "non-negotiable" by multiple Toyota sale's staff.

Still, supply of the Prius does seem to be improving. Sale's reps have told me that this is due to 'unclaimed' cars. Essentially, those that have put a deposit on cars are failing to claim them, defaulting on their downpayment, and providing a few unclaimed and immediately available for sale Prius.

This is not me its an article I found on the net. Here are more lies by Toyota:

Hybrid Costs

> Hybrids cost about $3000 more than gas-only cars.

> But you'll save at least $5500 in fuel over the life of the vehicle
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
hackenfort

Drives: 10 yaris
When I purchased my Yaris, this past March, The local Toyota Dealer here had near 40 prius cars in stock for sale. The issue I noticed, everyone I looked at had Nav and was loaded (about 30K USD). So I ended up with a 3 door yaris, stick, pw, fogs, mats, air, power locks, for 14K.

My Yaris is getting about 40 mpg around town, and 37 highway, not sure I'd every see a return on the twice the price prius.
hackenfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
bronsin

Prius 100,000 miles/ 50 mpg = 2,000 gallons X $4 gallon = $8000 to drive 100K miles

Yaris 100,000 miles/ 40 mpg = 2,500 gallons X $4 gallon = $10,000 TO DRIVE 100k MILES.

You therefore "saved" $2000 in gas over 100K miles by spending $10,000 more than a Yaris.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
I'd still take a Prius over the Chevy Volt. The Volt is a good concept, but poorly presented imho. It's just a sale's gimmick.
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackenfort View Post

My Yaris is getting about 40 mpg around town, and 37 highway, not sure I'd every see a return on the twice the price prius.
Are there no traffic lights in your town?
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_griffin6 View Post
I'd still take a Prius over the Chevy Volt. The Volt is a good concept, but poorly presented imho. It's just a sale's gimmick.

AND it cost what? $40,000?

The world is completely out of its mind if it thinks Im spending $40k for a car when I can get a Yaris for $15k.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
Bernie P.

Drives: old truck
Another problem is bat life and it's replacement cost.Some years back I read in CR they were good for about 4yrs and cost 4k to replace.I don't know if the numbers have changed but I'll stick with gas only.
Bernie P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie P. View Post
Another problem is bat life and it's replacement cost.Some years back I read in CR they were good for about 4yrs and cost 4k to replace.I don't know if the numbers have changed but I'll stick with gas only.

To be fair as I understand it its not uncommon for the batteries to last 8 years.

Of course even if they are $2,000 there goes even the minimal gas savings over a Yaris!

Prius =
Old 08-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
bronsin

Heres a rebuilt Prius battery for $1100 on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...Q5fAccessories

The beauty part of a Yaris is it doesnt ever NEED one of those!
Old 08-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
carnageehw

My hybrid is bloody awesome. I'm at 50,000 kms and no problems yet *which isn't a real big milestone).

The hybrid is especially important for me, since I'm constantly doing parking and city driving I'm driving with the gas engine off about 1/3 to a 1/4 of the time, depending on the lesson.

In the summer I'm driving with students anywhere from 7-12 hours a day. I used to fill up every day in the Yaris, whearas I can drive 3 days without filling up in the hybrid. Of course, the gas tank IS bigger, but still; Savings!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #11
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageehw View Post
My hybrid is bloody awesome. I'm at 50,000 kms and no problems yet *which isn't a real big milestone).

The hybrid is especially important for me, since I'm constantly doing parking and city driving I'm driving with the gas engine off about 1/3 to a 1/4 of the time, depending on the lesson.

In the summer I'm driving with students anywhere from 7-12 hours a day. I used to fill up every day in the Yaris, whearas I can drive 3 days without filling up in the hybrid. Of course, the gas tank IS bigger, but still; Savings!

Yes the Prius has in fact proven to be durable and dependable. In spite of dire predictions to the contrary.

But I wonder if you could comment on my calculations. They show a Prius will only save $2000 in gas per 100k miles versus a Yaris. Yet it will cost you $10,000 more to buy a Prius than a Yaris.

What do you make of that?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Yes the Prius has in fact proven to be durable and dependable. In spite of dire predictions to the contrary.

But I wonder if you could comment on my calculations. They show a Prius will only save $2000 in gas per 100k miles versus a Yaris. Yet it will cost you $10,000 more to buy a Prius than a Yaris.

Much of the reason for that is because the Prius is a higher class of car. It's bigger, more luxurious, and more refined. So even if the Prius was a non-hybrid, it would still cost at least $19K in base form. Can't compare apples to oranges and argue taste.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
bronsin

The cars reason d' etre is high gas mileage period.

The "high end" argument just muddies the water. (as Toyota no doubt intended)

Which is fine if people want to buy into that.

The problem is the insane mentality people have today. I mean, Obama just twisted the manufacturers arms into committing that their cars will get 63 mpg by 2020 or something? Thats crazy! What are these people thinking? How much is this car going to cost? My 650 cc motorcycle didnt get 63 mpg! Is it going to be like "carbon credits" where no one makes a car that gets 63 mpg we just have to pay a "tax" because ours doesnt? Is it going to be something like the Volt or the Leaf which costs even more than a Prius?

Am I going to be the victim of all this nonsence?

Hell no Im not going quietly!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #14
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
I believe the Prius' gas engine is the same 1.5L engine used in the US Yaris, albeit tuned a bit differently, but the same reliable engine, nonetheless.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #15
carnageehw

Quote:

I think it totally depends on where you drive. If you drive in the city a lot, you will get less than 40 in the Yaris, and get way higher than 50 in the Prius. I get 56-60mpg city in my Fusion. The Prius has a higher MPG rating than the Fusion.

And then there IS the higher class. A Prius is more high end than the Yaris, and the Fusion higher class than the Prius. So that's where the money goes.

But in general, if gas mileage is your main concern, I may not recommend a hybrid over a subcompact car. It mainly depends on where you drive, and how often.

For me though, I drive 50,000km a year, mainly city with a ton of parking and slow maneuvers. The amount of gas I save is great.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #16
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
The cars reason d' etre is high gas mileage period.

The "high end" argument just muddies the water. (as Toyota no doubt intended)

Which is fine if people want to buy into that.
Yes, the Prius is designed from top to bottom to squeeze the most out of every drop of gas. BUT, Toyota was also smart enough to know that the Prius needed not be a base line economy car if it was to become as successful as it has. Would the Prius get even higher MPG's if it were the size of a Yaris? Maybe, but not guaranteed (remember aerodynamics - a smaller car cannot be as sleek and rakish). The Prius has become, by far, the hybrid king because Toyota came up with the perfect formula. Affordable, but not el cheapo, just the right size for general practicality, and a look that satisfies those that want to show that they drive a hybrid.

With all that said, now that the Prius is hugely successful, Toyota is expanding it's Prius line-up with the V and C and maybe more. The C will fill that lower class spot some maybe looking for.

Spend some time on PriusChat forums and you'll learn the many reasons people have bought the Prius. Many of them not just for gas/money savings, but for the whole package. Some buy it because they love the technological aspect of it. They know that the Prius doesn't necessarily add up economically compared to a Yaris. But these people didn't want the Yaris.

A quick look at the interiors will tell you the big difference in class.

Quote:
The problem is the insane mentality people have today. I mean, Obama just twisted the manufacturers arms into committing that their cars will get 63 mpg by 2020 or something? Thats crazy! What are these people thinking? How much is this car going to cost? My 650 cc motorcycle didnt get 63 mpg! Is it going to be like "carbon credits" where no one makes a car that gets 63 mpg we just have to pay a "tax" because ours doesnt? Is it going to be something like the Volt or the Leaf which costs even more than a Prius?

Am I going to be the victim of all this nonsence?

Hell no Im not going quietly!
Welcome to the world of Washington bureaucrats. Non-engineers that know nothing about cars or anything else for that matter that just yell out numbers that sound good and somehow automakers have to achieve them.

Get ready for major changes in the auto industry. Engineers have already spoken out saying cars will have to give in at least one of three areas: Price, size, or safety. Well, safety's out. And don't expect cars to shrink too much. So guess what? We're going to get a bunch of offerings like the Volt. A $41,000 compact.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #17
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Lets leave the 63mpg by 2020 out of it. That's purely political. It gets the President votes because it looks good for now. He will be out of office well before 2020 hits.

I agree with Kal-El. Even if Toyota developed it first, they couldn't expect people to pay so much for so little. I'm talking about asking people to pay for the new tech. When the Prius first came out, they couldn't put that tech in a Yaris for a Camry price with out giving something extra. Think about the first Prius, it was a Yaris only bigger with more accouterments. So it supports the idea that people aren't just chasing that mpg.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #18
carnageehw

The MPG is just a really awesome side benefit. Don't think of buying a hybrid as if it's the cheapest possible gas option, look at it as buying an upscale car that's so cheap on gas, it's like buying a cheaper car.

Plus, gas is a much more daily draw on your pocket book. With financing and automatic withdrawls, paying the monthly price for a car is a simple and often affordable deal. Gas is a much more variable cost, and when budgeting, variable costs are not too nice.