Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-10-2022, 06:12 PM   #1
calyaris

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris
EVAP canister - 2012 Yaris

Hi all, I'm a newbie here and to car repair in general. My Toyota 2012 Yaris is the first car I've ever owned myself, and I'm looking forward to learning how to take good care of it on my own, not only to save money, but to be more independent.

Just a few day ago my CEL came on and I hooked up my recently purchased OBD code reader to check out the codes. The following 5 codes were showing: P043E, P043F, P2401, P2402, and P2419.

From what I've been able to research on my own it seems to be indicating an issue with the EVAP charcoal canister, possible leaks in the lines to and from the EVAP canister, and/or an electrical issue with the EVAP solenoid. I've run across the TSB for EVAP canister issues with water/debris on the 2007 models, but I haven't found anything specific coming up for EVAP issues with 2012s.

It looks like EVAP canister replacement can be a pretty expensive fix, particularly in a shop/dealership. Additionally, given California emissions testing (which I need to pass soon to update my registration) it doesn't look like this is an issue I can ignore.

If anyone can provide any help in further deciphering the potential issue or has any guidance on how to proceed with DIY maintenance (needed tools, how-to's, etc.) I would greatly appreciate your time, insight, and help!

(I'm a total beginner, so feel free to talk to me like I know nothing! )

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2302.jpeg (28.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2303.jpeg (28.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2304.jpeg (60.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2305.jpeg (56.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2306.jpeg (31.8 KB, 43 views)
calyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:17 AM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
im not much use on the specifics of a 12 HOWEVER my recomendation would be to hit a wrecking yard and grab the suspect parts, swap them in and clear the codes and take it for a 1 hour drive and see if they come back

the fact that one of the codes specificaly mentions the solinoid id start with only replacing it...as its the #1 cause of ALL of those codes and its also the 1 item in the entire evap system that works HARD and continually

or

buy a smoke rig off amazon and pump smoke into the evap system and see where it leaks..i recently had to do this on my 01 explorer sport...and even the cheepest of smoke pumps will do the job....i had a bad line that i never would have found without the smoke
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:20 AM   #3
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
you can also use a cigarette or a vape too, a guy at my shop does that lol
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:43 PM   #4
calyaris

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris
Hi there, apologies for the delayed update on this post. I wanted to be sure the repairs I chose to do were effective and since the car passed the emissions test today it seems like everything was successful.

Per @sh0rtlife's suggestion, I went ahead and replaced the purge valve solenoid, which proved to be a very simple swap. I chose to simply buy the solenoid new (~$60), as opposed to going out to salvage one. While replacing the solenoid, I noticed that a couple of the hoses feeding the solenoid were without hose clamps so I also added clamps to those hoses to ensure secure connection.

Additionally, I went ahead and replaced my gas cap with a new locking cap. I don't really believe the gas cap was involved in these codes, but the cap was on the older side and I prefer the security of a locking cap.

In the end, I didn't go through the trouble of confirming whether the issue was only with the solenoid or if the unclamped hoses were leaking and thus the primary source of failure, but replacing the valve and clamping the hoses has resulted in the codes not coming back and as a I mentioned above the vehicle passed the CA emissions testing this morning.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions! Definitely saved myself some money by investigating and fixing this myself. This was the first mechanical DIY fix I've ever done on a vehicle and it has been a big confidence boost to be able to get it right!
calyaris is offline   Reply With Quote