Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-07-2014, 04:20 AM   #1
marcar72

Drives: 2014 Yaris L 5spd
Question Almost bought a 2014 Yaris L...

... but wasn't totally prepared to mentally when I visited the dealer. Let me tell you what transpired!

I've been looking up info in regards to buying a Yaris when on autotrader.com I seen a listing for a 2011 Yaris manual trans. with only 9,350 miles for $11,989 plus documentation fee of 199.00. I thought wow, just what I was looking for and at a good price! It had power locks, I think power windows, and Cruise control according to the listing. Carfax checked out good so I talked to a salesperson on the phone for a few days and decided to take an Amtrak down to check it out and most likely buy it.

So I get my affairs in order and travel down there on Saturday to check it out. I arrive at the dealer and ask to see the salesperson. She came out and said "lemme grab the keys for ya, we brought it into the showroom for ya it's right over there". So while she's getting the keys I walk over and start checking it out. I make one trip around the car checking it out when I get to the hood and notice a couple dimples in the hood. I step back and take a look at the roof and sure enough, more dimples. I then realize that the car has hail damage and tell the sales person as she's walking towards me with the keys.

She acts like it's news to her, so I immediately precede to inquiring about a new 2014 Yaris manual trans. on the lot. She gets the keys for it and I test drive it for 3 miles. It drives great I thought, and I was almost immediately convinced to just buy the new one and be at peace.

So I get it back to the lot and start looking it over inside and out, top to bottem. One thing I noticed that I didn't really like was that the wheel wells don't look like they're finished. This is my biggest gripe! I've read a couple threads on here about the wheel wells being what usually starts rusting first and how there's like a cubby hole in the well for debris to collect. The other two factors that postponed my decision was no cruise control and the uni-wiper on the front. I read a post on here somewhere from someone stating that they can feel the uni-wiper sort of swaying their car to and fro when it's on, like a tail wagging the dog more or less.

All the while the salesperson is mostly leaving me alone thank God, but she checks in from time to time. She tells me that neither her or the general manager knew about the hail damage on the used Yaris, yea right but I keep my mouth shut. She also tells me this story of how engineers love/buy the Yaris, yea right again! hehehe!

So after about an hour and 1/2 I decide that I haven't made my mind up yet and let her know so as to high tail it out of there. She asks me what I want her to do with my deposit (that she hadn't run yet, on the used Yaris that she said was a "good car"). I tell her what deposit, she hadn't run it through. She then tells me that the deposit (that she had not ran through) is non refundable, lol! So I tell her that I hadn't been made aware of the hail damage although I asked her several times if there was anything wrong with the car, and therefore felt I was under no obligation to buy the used Yaris.

So then she sort of skimpered off while telling me to let her know one way or the other, and I got myself out of there and back home which was a real pain in the ass! The Amtrak was delayed for like 7 hours, lol. So I sat there thinking of how I could be driving a new 2014 Yaris home instead, hehe!

So I was pretty dead set against even wanting to get any kind of car whatsoever in the forseeable future to feeling that I'm really still deciding on whether or not to get that new 2014 Yaris! It had 6 miles on it and I put 3 on it during my test drive, so as far as I can tell I'm the only one who's even test drove it.

So I've read about people finishing up their wheel wells a bit, and people acutally liking the uni-wiper. I could always do a DIY cruise control I guess, or just make do without. I just feel that these things should have been done at the factory to begin with. Any feedback from you guys would be greatly appreciated!!
marcar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Welcome! (and sorry about the train delay, been there, done that with the Metro in Washington DC!)
Do not feel empty in regards to not getting a car quite yet, it is a big decision, be comfortable with your decision.

I am not shy here about saying how much I love this car. Have had quite a few cars, this is my favorite. I will have had my 2013 Red Yaris L Auto. 1 year this Friday, and I am complete wide-eyed and excited every time I get in it to make a run. MORE than happy with getting this car.

I can worry about anything, do not worry about this minor stuff you mentioned.

My thoughts:

Cruise control can be added when you are ready

You can add undercoating to the rear wheel wells. Part of your car wash routine should always be blasting a stream of water in the rear wheel well to keep dirt from collecting. I have seen many cars that have a lip where the quarter panel meets the inner wheel well and dirt has piled up.

Single wiper is awesome, it clears like 90% of the glass in one swipe. (correction: more like 95%) It fits the 3rd generation Yaris perfectly in my humble opinion. I never thought about it until after the Yaris was at home and in the garage...our OTHER car has a single wiper...2000 C230 Benz... The wiper motor in the Benz is so strong, you can feel the car rock slightly when it's on high and the car is not moving. I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a car with TWO wipers anymore....

Good luck with your decision and again, welcome

Last edited by yougojay; 04-07-2014 at 12:55 PM.
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:56 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
be comfortable with your decision.

Quote:
I am not shy here about saying how much I love this car.
The understatement of the year (so far) . (just kidding, essentially no such thing as too enthusiastic)

Quote:
Single wiper is awesome, it clears like 90% of the glass in one swipe. (correction: more like 95%) It fits the 3rd generation Yaris perfectly in my humble opinion. I never thought about it until after the Yaris was at home and in the garage...our OTHER car has a single wiper...2000 C230 Benz... The wiper motor in the Benz is so strong, you can feel the car rock slightly when it's on high and the car is not moving.
I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something visually disconcerting about the single wiper on the Yaris while driving in the rain. Perhaps that would fade over time (It rained while I had the 5-door LE insurance rental in January, but that was a 3 day period...not months). You're right about how effective it is re clearing rain, which is the most important point. IMO, it is more effective than the 2 wipers on my Gen 2 (which did improve when I recently purchased new blades ).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
YHWilliam09

Drives: '09 Base 2-door Hatchback AT
So your only gripes are the wheel wells, no cruise control, and the uni-wiper? What are you waiting on?! If I found a car that satisfied all my criteria except those 3 things, I'd jump on it asap!

Look at it this way: No cruise control is better for fuel efficiency, the sun shines more than it rains, and wheel wells will probably be the least of your worries once the clutch needs to be replaced.

YHWilliam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:00 AM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by YHWilliam09 View Post
If I found a car that satisfied all my criteria except those 3 things, I'd jump on it asap!
I almost asked the color (for my own selfish reasons ).

Quote:
No cruise control is better for fuel efficiency
Not in my experience...but each person has a different experience.

Quote:
wheel wells will probably be the least of your worries once the clutch needs to be replaced.
I have 277,000 + miles and counting on the original clutch .
Old 04-08-2014, 06:48 AM   #6
marcar72

Drives: 2014 Yaris L 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by YHWilliam09 View Post
So your only gripes are the wheel wells, no cruise control, and the uni-wiper? What are you waiting on?! If I found a car that satisfied all my criteria except those 3 things, I'd jump on it asap!
Well those things and that the rear seats aren't the 60/40 split bench seats that fold all the way down level like the 2nd Gen Yaris do. Also the WHOLE experience being framed with the idea of HAIL DAMAGE due to the used one having it, that didn't help matters at all!

So it's been a couple days and I'm leaning towards getting a 2014 Yaris L after all. So what do you guys think, Classic Silver Metallic or Black Sand Pearl? Those are most likely my two options...
marcar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #7
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
-no, the single wiper is not felt, in any way, shape, or form, moving a 2300 lb car. it works fine and does a nice clean job on the windshield.

-as mentioned, cruise is a relatively cheap addition

it sounds like the hail damage put you out of the buying mood and amplified what are (mostly) very minor issues regarding the '14.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #8
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Hi Marcar
I am the same way about some of the things on the 3rd. gens vs. the 2nd. gens. I love the new dash, the lack of the hatch opener sticking out, other little stuff. I really like the rounder 2nd. gen front ends, but the engine compartment on the 3rd. gens seems roomier, more open.

The 2013 L doesn't have the split seat, but it folds down pretty flat. It works darn good enough & plenty of space to put my boxes of collected recycle stuff in. If you want a split-seat just take a SAWZ-ALL to it and CUT IT IN HALF!!! Just Kidding, you'll get used to it, it works FINE!

Again, the wiper works GREAT - You get used to it JUST fine. I was pretty amazed how after a swipe the windshield is clear except for a little bit at the top right, it's really cool. To me, it seems like LESS of a distraction - I was instantly liking it, but maybe I'm used to it from our other car.

Get Silver, it's sharp and won't show dirt as much.
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
YHWilliam09

Drives: '09 Base 2-door Hatchback AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcar72 View Post
Well those things and that the rear seats aren't the 60/40 split bench seats that fold all the way down level like the 2nd Gen Yaris do. Also the WHOLE experience being framed with the idea of HAIL DAMAGE due to the used one having it, that didn't help matters at all!

So it's been a couple days and I'm leaning towards getting a 2014 Yaris L after all. So what do you guys think, Classic Silver Metallic or Black Sand Pearl? Those are most likely my two options...
I would say to just buy from a different dealer, but there may not be one close by, and they're all crooks as far as I'm concerned. If you're buying a new one, you may not have much to worry about except price. And personally, I'd get Silver. Black will show nearly all imperfections more than other colors. Either color looks good though.

YHWilliam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
CLASSIC SILVER METALLIC! CLASSIC SILVER METALLIC! CLASSIC SILVER METALLIC!
I have Black Sand Pearl on my 2010 Yaris, and it's a pain in the ass to keep clean looking. I so wish I had bought the Classic Silver Metallic. Trust me, you don't want black.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #11
B2FiNiTY

Drives: Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post

I have 277,000 + miles and counting on the original clutch .
That's amazing!
B2FiNiTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #12
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcar72 View Post
... So what do you guys think, Classic Silver Metallic or Black Sand Pearl? Those are most likely my two options...
Definitely not black. Classic Silver is good, is very easy to keep looking nice over the years, and never looks dirty.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #13
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
Both my 08 sedan and my new 14 SE are silver. Almost went white with my new car but the best deal was on a silver 5 door.
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2FiNiTY View Post
That's amazing!
Yeah, but not as amazing as some. Yarisworld member trini_per4mance got 448,000 miles out of his original clutch. IIRC, member yaris9876 got 403,000 miles out of his original clutch. I wore a hole in the driver's side floor mat (that came with my Yaris when new) at about 208,000 miles. I then removed that floor mat. The 'clunking' (probably not describing the sound properly) I'd hear when shifting was gone. Mat kept the clutch from engaging completely ? Shortened the life of the clutch ? I don't know, but I'd think so. Doubt I'd be able to get 400k out of this clutch at this point, but hoping for 300k .